Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-25-2021, 03:22 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Pat T's Avatar
 
City: Lagrange, IL
Vessel Name: Moondance
Vessel Model: Grand Banks CL 42
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 107
Inside heated storage

It's that time again for us Midwesterners. I am storing indoors so less to do than storing outside in the cold & snow. This is my first year doing so with this boat (previous sailboats stored outside) so I do have a few questions.

Main concern is water tanks & lines - no need to pump the pink stuff through but probably best to get out as much water as possible? The water can get pretty stale just sitting. And what about the metal water tanks? Maybe some type of preservative is needed in there?

Probably a good idea to drain the aqua lift muffler? I think all I need to do is to open the drain and let water drain into bilge and pump it out.

Oh, yes and the bilge - clean out best you can. I will be working down there over the winter.

Pull the impellers - 2 engine, 1 generator

I will ensure power is applied now and then to charge batteries.

What else I am forgetting to do ?

Thanks.
__________________
Pat T
Grand Banks 42 CL
#1469
Pat T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 03:39 PM   #2
Guru
 
AKDoug's Avatar
 
City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,015
You are a lot more trusting that your storage space will stay warm than I would be. Winterizing my boat costs about $75 and some time doing things, even stored inside I think I would spend the money to properly winterize everything. Just my opinion...
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 03:58 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Pat T's Avatar
 
City: Lagrange, IL
Vessel Name: Moondance
Vessel Model: Grand Banks CL 42
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
You are a lot more trusting that your storage space will stay warm than I would be. Winterizing my boat costs about $75 and some time doing things, even stored inside I think I would spend the money to properly winterize everything. Just my opinion...
I did wonder Doug, so I inquired about back up power of which they do have generators just in case. Thanks.
__________________
Pat T
Grand Banks 42 CL
#1469
Pat T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 04:37 PM   #4
TF Site Team
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 12,912
You donít pay the extra amount for inside heated storage, at least double the cost for unheated, to have to winterize the boat. They have backup generators in case they loose power, at least where I will be storing my boat. I wouldnít even consider a storage unit that doesnít have backup power.
__________________
Boat Nut:
If you are one there is no explanation necessary.
If you arenít one, there is no explanation possible.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 04:40 PM   #5
TF Site Team
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 12,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat T View Post
It's that time again for us Midwesterners. I am storing indoors so less to do than storing outside in the cold & snow. This is my first year doing so with this boat (previous sailboats stored outside) so I do have a few questions.

Main concern is water tanks & lines - no need to pump the pink stuff through but probably best to get out as much water as possible? The water can get pretty stale just sitting. And what about the metal water tanks? Maybe some type of preservative is needed in there?

Probably a good idea to drain the aqua lift muffler? I think all I need to do is to open the drain and let water drain into bilge and pump it out.

Oh, yes and the bilge - clean out best you can. I will be working down there over the winter.

Pull the impellers - 2 engine, 1 generator

I will ensure power is applied now and then to charge batteries.

What else I am forgetting to do ?

Thanks.
Remove anything that may attract mice, any food, any soap, etc. My friend left a bit of food in Tupperware containers and a couple of bars of soap in his boat one winter. Mice came on board and chewed through the Tupperware and ate about half of the bars of soap. We remove anything that might possibly be eaten by mice and never had any aboard.
__________________
Boat Nut:
If you are one there is no explanation necessary.
If you arenít one, there is no explanation possible.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 06:43 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Newtrawlerowner's Avatar
 
City: Delray Beach, FL and Denver, CO
Vessel Name: PartnerShip II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 400
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 209
Indoor storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat T View Post
It's that time again for us Midwesterners. I am storing indoors so less to do than storing outside in the cold & snow. This is my first year doing so with this boat (previous sailboats stored outside) so I do have a few questions.

Main concern is water tanks & lines - no need to pump the pink stuff through but probably best to get out as much water as possible? The water can get pretty stale just sitting. And what about the metal water tanks? Maybe some type of preservative is needed in there?

Probably a good idea to drain the aqua lift muffler? I think all I need to do is to open the drain and let water drain into bilge and pump it out.

Oh, yes and the bilge - clean out best you can. I will be working down there over the winter.

Pull the impellers - 2 engine, 1 generator

I will ensure power is applied now and then to charge batteries.

What else I am forgetting to do ?

Thanks.

Pat,
Where are you storing and what is the cost?
Thinking of doing the loop and expect to be in or near Chicago in fall. Just curious.
Newtrawlerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 12:18 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Pat T's Avatar
 
City: Lagrange, IL
Vessel Name: Moondance
Vessel Model: Grand Banks CL 42
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtrawlerowner View Post
Pat,
Where are you storing and what is the cost?
Thinking of doing the loop and expect to be in or near Chicago in fall. Just curious.
I am storing at Southport Marina in Kenosha, WI. I am told there are a couple of other places in Kenosha also. Not sure if they offer heated storage. There are no Chicago lakefront inside storage areas I am aware of. You might be able to get a place down the river but likely to be costly. I moored in Chicago for 15 years or so and always went north for winter storage. Two closest places south would be Larsen Marine and Bay Marine in Waukegan. I checked both last year when I purchased my current boat and could not get heated storage - they were full.

So my advice is start checking early. Somewhere in WI might be the best place for winter storage. My dock neighbor in Racine takes his boat to Port Washington (north of Milwaukee) and is happy. Good luck.
__________________
Pat T
Grand Banks 42 CL
#1469
Pat T is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012