Injectors on Ford Lehman 120 replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Things have changed.

Bob and Brian are good but not perfect. They have disagreed on advice based on "reports" by people on this forum from time to time.

There are other reputable sources for info on the Lehman besides them.

There are great engine guys who respect but don't always agree with them

If I hear something I don't quite know with my Lehman...I may check the valves to see if still in spec yet I don't check the head torque.

Brian told me don't worry about replacing my head bolts when I did my head gasket change.

Manuals for Lehman engines include or don't include things that have been posted here.

While we all like to follow sound advice...there seemes to be some disagreement on what floats around. Whether you follow some of the advice to a "T" or not doesn't really seem to matter as much as people think....as others haven't and their Lehmans are still chugging away.

Last edited:
So, what are your thoughts on retorquing the heads? How about Marvel Mystery Oil in the diesel fuel? How about "must/should" use straight weight 30 oil? Yes, lots of conflicting recommendations.
Things have changed.

Bob and Brian are good but not perfect. They have disagreed on advice based on "reports" by people on this forum from time to time.

There are other reputable sources for info on the Lehman besides them.

There are great engine guys who respect but don't always agree with them

If I hear something I don't quite know with my Lehman...I may check the valves to see if still in spec yet I don't check the head torque.

Brian told me don't worry about replacing my head bolts when I did my head gasket change.

Manuals for Lehman engines include or don't include things that have been posted here.

While we all like to follow sound advice...there seemes to be some disagreement on what floats around. Whether you follow some of the advice to a "T" or not doesn't really seem to matter as much as people think....as others haven't and their Lehmans are still chugging away.

So, what are your thoughts on retorquing the heads? How about Marvel Mystery Oil in the diesel fuel? How about "must/should" use straight weight 30 oil? Yes, lots of conflicting recommendations.

I further research just about everything I hear....on the net or otherwise.

And what many people I know don't get is how general advice applies to them.

People often come to me in my boating circles because of that and my friends know I think outside the box and challenge things passed second and third hand if it doesn't fit.

I also have enough experience on vessels that make most of our trawlers look like dock queens to know a lot of worries about what is best is nice but much of the time a folly.

Working through life sometimes is just finding out what's not acceptable more than finding out the most acceptable when often there is no "best" answer...only what has worked and falls within your comfort range.

That's one reason the internet is so valuable, to hear different things and hear of different leads to other opinions....otherwise " call American Diesel" would be stamped on every Lehman like some post here. It is definitely a great source, but like most things in life, a second opinion never hurts.

Last edited:
Yesterday I heard my twins purr In a happy way. They sounded great on our 2.5 HR run.
Retorqued and valve adjust worked for me.

Last night, in a fit of sleeplessness, I came across a posting on another forum by a fellow who had taken Bob Smith's seminar on maintaining a FL120. He said that Bob mentioned the need to re-torque the heads. I also checked the original manual. It calls for servicing the heads and valves every 400 hours, oil change every 200 hours.
I took a seminar from Bob Smith. We did the valves but did not retorque the head.

It did for me as well, noticeably quieter and smoother. Before adjustments I had less than .005 lash. Spec is .012 and .015. The result prompted me to look at my Perkins-powered generator (4.108). Same thing was found, very little valve lash. Adjusted, it is now quieter and smoother. Is it likely that many owners do not recognize the need and benefit to adjusting the valves on their diesel engines
Yesterday I heard my twins purr In a happy way. They sounded great on our 2.5 HR run.
Retorqued and valve adjust worked for me.

Yea i'll call him next week, need a couple things anyway. Maybe these things have a history of backing off? Flys in the face of years with on-highway diesel service. And if it is the case to do it, maybe related to the head gasket material. I admit i currious why Bob smith, the guy who marinized the thing would not say to do it but now Brian does. But there is always something to learn :)
Spoke with brian, and after that re read the service manual. Re torquing the heads prior to setting valve lash is the propper procedure. I stand corrected.

Ok, first given is that I am not a mechanic, but I sort of remember that torquing the head bolts on a 120 causes the bolts to stretch so they have to be replaced each time. I think that was what Bob said in the seminar. But bear in mind that was on a 120 and I don’t have 120s so maybe I wasn’t paying complete attention about torquing the head on 120s.

I believe the recommendation to re-torque is in the 120 manual. Its the 135 that must not be re-torqued. That is also in the manual.

Ken

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom