Information on repainting topsides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SimonBryan

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Monesk
Vessel Make
Island Gypsy 32
Hi all
Long overdue but we are wanting to embark on a topside repaint of our IG32. Had been done (badly) by previous owner but we lived with it, however can no longer ignore the sate of the paintwork.
I am going to have to do this myself and while it is too late in the summer here in Sydney to do the topcoats I am looking for video's, documents, web sites, anything to give me advice on the preparation. Obvioulsy rub back, but there are some chips and areas where there is a network of fine cracks and other issues.
So wondering about do I fill etc or do I have to take it al the way back? If filling with what? Can i do undercoat/primer in cooler weather.
Want to take my time and get this right (unusual for me!)
Anyone have any links, books etc?

I am also refinishing my topsides with all the same issues. My plan is filling chips and cracks with epoxy two part fairing compound then a good sanding. After that I will prime it with a two part epoxy primer then two or more coats of Alexseal using the rolling and tipping method. Remember it is a boat and you never know what you will find as you get started. I call it mission creep.

You might check out Boatworks Today website. He has a bunch of videos showing how to prep and paint. He has been using Alexseal paint. They now have an additive that allows rolling without tipping after.

You might check out Boatworks Today website. He has a bunch of videos showing how to prep and paint. He has been using Alexseal paint. They now have an additive that allows rolling without tipping after.

Actually just found those videos and agree very useful.

Have you seen they now have an additive that allows you to just roll?

The key is in the prep. My hull and topsides did not require much "body work". But cleaning is the key. Buy real TSP from Ebay or Amazon, not the phosphate free. Really give it a good wash, then a vinegar rinse, then fresh water rinse. Tapeing is also a key, it's a pain but really worth , use the highest quality tape you can get.

Then, of course, high quality paint and brush.

pete

"Buy real TSP from Ebay or Amazon,"

In some areas good TSP is forbidden by our rulers,so not sold or shipped.

Cleanser for dishwashers frequently is great TSP , and easy to obtain.

TSP with a green pad will clean most surfaces so little sanding is required to apply primer.

FWIW, I repainted my 27' sailboat with Interlux Brightside poly (one part) about ten years ago. I was doing the job alone in an open boatyard and didn't want the hassle of using a two-part system. I rolled and tipped the boat myself, bit of a challenge at times, but it came out well and I've been very pleased with the durability. Ten years later, it's showing some wear and could use another coat but overall still looks good (at least from ten feet away!).
Joe

Attachments

• SleighRide2.jpg
    SleighRide2.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 18
  • BlueLight 009.jpg
    BlueLight 009.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 19
Yea, I know real TSP is not great stuff. It is a "phosphate" after all. I truly am environmentally conscientious. But certain rules and suggestions do get "bent".

I can't discharge waste into the water but fish, ducks, geese, livestock and all manner of small mammals do tons of it daily. I really do "catch" my pink antifreeze but millions do not. I NEVER litter but the ship breaking yards in India have open smoldering fires going day and night.

I'm sorry but I guess my two pound box of TSP which lasts me three years is an irrational rationalization, but I do it anyway.

pete

Back
Top Bottom