Inflatable dingys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a 10' Highfield PVC that is 6 years old now. Still in great shape! But I do cover it when not in use. Which is key. Some boaters put what I call a skirt on them. So only the tubes are covered and you can still use the inflatable.

Last edited:
Should have noted my West 310 was Hypalon...West Marine usually had a 4th of July sale and it was too good of a deal to pass up.

We have a WM Hypalon 275 RIB (aluminum bottom) we purchased in 2018. Still in good shape. Sits in the salt water all summer in New England. We did tear one of the rear seams open dragging it up on a rocky beach. Can’t blame that on the rib. Quite happy with it to this point. Has a 9.9 fuel injected Suzuki that doesn’t skip a beat.

I can only say two letters here from years of experience in tenders commercial and leisure and it’s simply AB, imo you are just throwing good money away buying anything else, AB are time proven and the extra money paid in initial purchase is quickly recouped in serviceability and longevity and of course resale, as a rule your lucky to be able to give away a second hand Chinese built tender, but a AB will always command big dollars S/hand and there is a real reason for this, I religiously buy new tenders every 5 years and it blows me away how much I get for second hand AB tenders, I just sold a 15DLX for $45k after 5 years and it still looked like a new tender when cleaned up and 300hrs of good service :)

I highly recommend a WM inflatable RIB. You get a solid hull so most of the wear issues of fabric are eliminated and it provides a stable design, better freeboard and transom for motor. I bought a small one for my 34 c&c sailboat a few years ago. Performs well with my 6hp Suziki. Very reasonable $$. Recommend you use with a davit.

Are you looking for a RIB, roll up, etc? Purchased a Katchemac 310 RIB 10.5 ft. Very happy with it. It is comparable to the West Marine but for less. The vendor is Go2Marine. There are a number of them up here in my marina and have not heard any complaints. http://www.go2marine.com/

I can only say two letters here from years of experience in tenders commercial and leisure and it’s simply AB, imo you are just throwing good money away buying anything else, AB are time proven and the extra money paid in initial purchase is quickly recouped in serviceability and longevity and of course resale, as a rule your lucky to be able to give away a second hand Chinese built tender, but a AB will always command big dollars S/hand and there is a real reason for this, I religiously buy new tenders every 5 years and it blows me away how much I get for second hand AB tenders, I just sold a 15DLX for $45k after 5 years and it still looked like a new tender when cleaned up and 300hrs of good service :)

My AB 14 is 10 years old and doing great. I did have the dealers at GCCM do a repair to the bow, holed on the swim platform during late night recovery to deck in 35kn of wind. The repair is brilliant.

But if buying another dingy I would probably go with Naiad from Yamba Welding. See attached brochure. They range from 2.5m to 23m. They say 4 times the strength of hypalon. Good enough for marine rescue, police etc it should be fine for me...

Attachments

• Brochure-Naiad-Rescue-Organisations-for-website-pages-not-in-3-fold.pdf
    565.9 KB · Views: 16
:ermm:
Lots of previous threads on this, but just one tip -- my Bestway ("Hydroforce") dinghy blew out its floor in the first year. By "blew" I mean it delaminated, so a huge bubble or pillow formed in the floor. I contacted Bestway a couple different ways. Zero help, zero assistance on replacement, even if I wanted to buy a new floor. And the floor isn't a commonly available size from Ali Express or other third party sources, so now I either pay for a whole new dinghy, or order a custom made floor from China which costs more than the dinghy did.

You asked about West Marine's less expensive dinghys. Given that you're buying it from a well-established domestic company that would almost certainly give you a little more protection or repair or replacement options than what I did. Bottom line, I got what I paid for. The PVC, Zodiac-brand dinghy I bought from Defender lasted seven years, and would still be in use except it was just too small. The Bestway (sold through Costco and others) lasted about eight months. I wouldn't go cheap-as-possible again.

I got almost 7 years out of my costco Bestway, lol that's less than a $100 a years you can't beat that!

It all depends on where you're taking it. Against our advice, friends bought an inflatable to take to the Bahamas. It doesn't take many landings in sand/coral, etc. to ruin a soft bottomed dinghy. They bought a hard bottom the next year.

Yep, we always take a Whaler dinghy to the Bahamas. Ironshore beaches, ragged docks with nails, and upturned outboards got laughed at by our Whaler.

I got my Newport Baja (PVC) on "super sale" for $1050.

When it degrades enough, I'll buy another one - :)

Back
Top Bottom