I'm about to have a headache

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhmeissner

Guru
Vessel Name
The Promise
Vessel Make
Roughwater 35
First off, thanks for this great forum! I'm about to sort out what I think is a real mess left by the former owner. So I am wondering if anybody can identify this head by brand?
img_105813_0_b47fd5c9a8fbc5ee152e3a6c9cb72697.jpg

But the real problem is in these pictures below. Somebody plumbed in a macerator using what looks like garden hose. And the boat does not appear to have a deck pump-out any where I can see.

Any and all comments are most welcome, even if I get flamed. :blush:

img_105813_1_6d09ce810a65d22e1eadba38dede21b2.jpg

img_105813_2_14ac8e73dc4a257f4bd11519bff7354f.jpg

img_105813_3_57ff2ae7815fd193dd0a0a524772a91d.jpg

img_105813_4_037cae453ba142041f60ca45811566dc.jpg

This is on a '73 Roughwater35

Yikes:banghead:

Well.....it could be worse. Instead of garden hose, it could be ruptured garden hose.
I see the one garden hose going under the shaft into the bilge. Have you learned where that one goes to? ANY garden hose you have on the boat for ANY reason outside of using it AS a garden hose or washdown ought to be replaced. I'd sure opt for a larger diameter discharge than garden hose. Don't sweat these things (well, OK, go ahead and sweat it). My PO was quite meticulous with his maintenance but had the oddest, most confusing septic setup I've ever seen. After spending hours on-line trying to find an explanation for the design, I yanked it all and went with my own super-simple hookup.

After seeing what you've got there already, you'd better make sure that he didn't "T" the discharge line into something else like your sink. Pretty yucky accidents could happen, and could contaminate something else. It's your boat now. Redoing the system is a pain, but when it's done, you know what you've got.

Last edited:
Nice clean bilge, but I note a small brown trickle from the macerator pump connection....:mad:.

Is there a holding tank aft? Where does the output from the macerator pump go?

Did you have a survey report? It'd be interesting to know what he had to say.

Oh, and the head looks like a Jabsco twist & lock manual from the photo. Not sure about the size.

Attachments

• jabsco twist & lock.jpg
    jabsco twist & lock.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 268
If that were on my boat, the macerator output would go to an underwater thru hull (for secretly emptying the tank overboard) and perhaps an option to direct the discharge topsides for a more politically correct disposal into a honey wagon or even a shoreside toilet.

Fact is, I do use a macerator/garden hose to empty my trailerable houseboat's holding tank into my septic system.

The pump appears to be a Par/Jabsco. Good pump. I have 2 of them on my boat, rebuilt once, about 12 years ago and nowhere close to needing another rebuild.
The hose, if used in a garden, would become a "garden hose". If used in a boat, it is a "boat hose". Just be sure it is in good condition and strong enough for the job. More important is the condition of the clamps. Check them to be sure the screws are stainless. If not, they will release when they get old and rusty. Then you will really have a mess.

Looks like the macerator is t'd into the bilge pump outlet line with a check valve in the bilge pump output to prevent macerator output from pumping into the bilge.
The macerator appears to be connected so it can pump from either of 2 sources -- might be hooked up to holding tank and shower sump or holding tank and bilge or two holding tanks.

Could be a feeble attempt to connect the grey water and black water into the same system. Would be interesting to see if it has a tank someplace or whether it's dumping over the side. Better figure that one out before you use the boat much. Get inspected by the CG and you could be in trouble.

The toilet looks like a 60's - 70's either a PAR or Raritan manual pump toilet. They still sell parts for them and an electric conversion is available from Raritan for about $400. Which gets rid of the manual pump and leaky seals and adds a macerator pump to the toilet. I have one and it works great.

Larry B.

Attachments

• Raritan.jpg
    Raritan.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 198
for around $100 I converted mine. Took the pump off and bolted on a plate, found a 90 degree elbow in PVC that screwed into the end cleanout plug, short length of 1.5 hose to a macerator off internet ($70) bolted to underside of where toilet is bolted down...added a push button swith and found a $10 12 volt solenoid valve that will provide the fresh water when the flush button is pushed. Simple and works great...much simpler system to work on than the store bought $400 conversion...and quieter as the macerator is below deck.

Thanks guys, I will be at the boat tomorrow and get to the bottom of this. I may come back with a few more questions. I'm a firm believer in KISS, and this setup is anything but. :eek:

Dave

KISS is the way , but you will need some sort of holding tank, box or bag, for the toilet police to view.

Then they can "inspect" view your deck pumpout fitting and declare you legal.

There are very simple methods to overboard discharge

The simplest is to have the box/bag of waste above the discharge , and modify the stops in the 3 way valve.

Head to tank Head to overboard , tank to overboard .

KISS!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom