I FOUND MY LEAK!.....now what???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your leak

I agree with Capt Bill. You can't really do much till your next haul out. So a temporary fix with an epoxy or caulking compound that will seal a wet leak could keep you boating till you haul your boat.

Once you haul your boat, get a grinder and start grinding where the leak is coming from. You have to expose the rot, and there will probably be rot if its been leaking away. You might be able to get to the leak from the outside to see if there is any serious de-lamination. Once you have uncovered the full extent of the damage, which may or may not include your shaft log, you can have a better idea of what your options are.

A water ballasted keel seems to be unusual for a Defever 42. I have a Marine Trader 41, which is almost identical to a Defever 42. The keel on these Tawanise boats is 'indeterminate'. In other words, it could be wood, fiberglass, concrete, or a smattering of all three. But once the outer layer of the keel is breached from either a grounding, blistering, delamination, or all three the water will enter.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom