Hydraulic fluid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cartouche

Vessel Name
On The EdJ
Vessel Make
Former 390 owner now Sundancer 380
I have Trim Master Trim tabs on my Mainship 390 do you use just 32W Hydraulic fluid or something else. Also I heard somewhere that you can hook up the trim tabs to the gear shift and when you go in reverse The tabs will automatically retract. Has anyone heard of that scenario, Many thanks

I'd go find the manual for the trim tabs and see what it calls for for oil. Keep in mind that there are ISO and SAE weights for hydraulic oil, and most are sold based on their ISO weights now. Just be sure you are getting the right one. A quick google search will surface conversion tables so you can cross from one to the other.

As for automatic retract, I suppose it could be done as you describe, but there are a lot of things to check, like normal operating pressures for each system, max allowed pressures, oil types used, etc. I probably would not interconnect them.

But it's kind of a neat idea, so what I might do is look at controlling the tabs electrically. It's usually not to hard to get a switch that signals reverse. It could be done mechanically off of linkage, with a pressure switch in the reverse clutch circuit in the gear, or some shift controls have outputs that will signal it. Then use that to operate the tabs to retract them. Or just make a little sign and stick it by the gear shift control.

I'd go find the manual for the trim tabs and see what it calls for for oil. Keep in mind that there are ISO and SAE weights for hydraulic oil, and most are sold based on their ISO weights now. Just be sure you are getting the right one. A quick google search will surface conversion tables so you can cross from one to the other.

As for automatic retract, I suppose it could be done as you describe, but there are a lot of things to check, like normal operating pressures for each system, max allowed pressures, oil types used, etc. I probably would not interconnect them.

But it's kind of a neat idea, so what I might do is look at controlling the tabs electrically. It's usually not to hard to get a switch that signals reverse. It could be done mechanically off of linkage, with a pressure switch in the reverse clutch circuit in the gear, or some shift controls have outputs that will signal it. Then use that to operate the tabs to retract them. Or just make a little sign and stick it by the gear shift control.
Many thanks I have the manual unfortunately it does not identify type of fluid, which is really strange but I have read and read it and can not find. cheers

Trim Master used their own special fluid. I have not been able to find out what it was and unable to find any. I have been told that ATF is compatible but haven't been able to confirm that.

I wouldn't usually put in information for a different brand, but since it sounds like yours may be a proprietary mystery, and just as a data point, Bennett hydraulic trim tabs advise use of "any type ATF (automatic transmission fluid)."

You could substitute a food-grade hydraulic fluid, but a quick search shows gallon jugs, nothing smaller.

I'd be tempted to just flush and go with ATF as it is available, low cost, excellent lube properties.

I can see the allure of an automatically set of retracting trim tabs; however, if you come to depend on this setup and have no independent method (like a segmented light display of tab position) of verifying they are up, well, the consequences vary. As a practice I fully retract the tabs whenever I come off plane. By the time I am ready to back, the fins have been up for a bit.

You could substitute a food-grade hydraulic fluid, but a quick search shows gallon jugs, nothing smaller.

I'd be tempted to just flush and go with ATF as it is available, low cost, excellent lube properties.
many thanks flush and ATF it is cheers for the input

Back
Top Bottom