How to restore oiled teak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use microfiber towels for almost everything. Applying finish, buffing, cleaning. Even removing haze from epoxy grout on tile. Costco has them in automotive but I've used Amazon for them for maybe 5 years.

Keith

Today's home project - old Javanese teak chest that I cleaned up to give to our kids. IMPORTANT: dispose of oily rags or preserve in airtight container. ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1460919863.401239.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1460919679.259839.jpg

Keith

Pgitug,

"Buff" is just take a mushed up white painters rag (old t-shirts) and give the dried Daly's surface a good rub down. It will buff out to a nice smooth low luster sheen. Recommend you put on at least a couple of coats before any buffing.

And while buffing won't put a lot of oil onto the rag, you still need to be careful with residue. I know someone (truly not me!) who washed oily rags, put the in the dryer, and started a house fire. Also know of someone who oiled a home deck, left the rags in a pile in the sun, and burned down the entire house.

Keith

Egads, I just sand and BLO. You guys are crazy. Ok, I actually use my friend Bill Daly's SeaFin, but it's basically BLO.

While reading something else in a different forum I realized I misspoke - SeaFin is tung oil, not linseed oil. There are a variety of differences, with resistance to water (higher with tung oil) being important in this environment.

Keith

You could try. But the wood may not take the stain.

Try mixing the stain in with some oil.

While stain doesn't penetrate very deep, anything that affects its uptake will affect the appearance. So if there's an old finish, it needs to be stripped chemically or physically (sanding and scraping) before stain is applied.

Keith

While stain doesn't penetrate very deep, anything that affects its uptake will affect the appearance. So if there's an old finish, it needs to be stripped chemically or physically (sanding and scraping) before stain is applied.

Keith

True. But depending on the look he's going for it's worth a shot before you go to all the trouble of stripping off the finish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom