How to Remove Boat Name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Surboum

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Mainship 430
What's the best way to remove a boat's name and hailing port from a boat? I'm selling my boat and retaining the name. Name and hailing port are vinyl lettering attached to stern of fiberglass boat that has been awlgripped.

I used a hair dryer to remove old decals. Or a heat gun?

Careful use of a heat gun on low setting and a plastic razor blade. Worked great on the two we've done and on my buddy's.

Heat gun will usually get them off. I use a sharp plastic scraper so as not to scratch the finish. Go easy with the heat, use just enough to get it loose and not more. It can scorch the gel coat if you use too much. You will get the feel for it as you go. Just start slow.

Oven cleaner. It doesn't touch the gel-coat, and makes short work of the paint. Not sure how it works on vinyl. Probably doesn't

For vinyl lettering a hair dryer works better than a heat gun. For paint use EasyOff oven cleaner. Once the lettering is off you will see some trace of the name. This is do to non weathering of the covered surface. If gelcoat, I would buff with a polishing or rubbing compound depending on age of vessel. If painted surface I would look to the paint manufacturer for advice. I have had luck using rubbing compound on painted surfaces but have only tried it on old painted surfaces were I had nothing to loose.

In the end some trace of the old name always exists so designing the new name should take this into consideration.

Be very, very careful with heat because of the Awlgrip. Just enough to soften the letters. No oven cleaner on Awlgrip!

I have used the above method successfully (heat gun & plastic scraper tool). For the left-over crud and adhesive that may be left I used this $7 SATC Decal Eraser Wheel and then final clean with MEK, alcohol, mineral spirits or acetone.

I was going to say hair drier instead of heat gun too. If it won't hurt your scalp it won't hurt the paint. Weathering might not be as serious a problem with Awlgrip, it certainly is with gelcoat. A friend of mine removed the truly stupid name from his new-to-him boat, found the gel had receded about 1/16" further around the vinyl as opposed to under the vinyl. Took a LOT of wet sanding and polishing to eradicate it. Awlgrip might show a little fading but won't have the embossed effect like gelcoat. Light or dark color? Light might not have faded at all, red and dark blue are the worst for fading.

On a previous boat the owner had used a metal flake vinyl name. It actually burned the white gel coat and turned it brown. We tried sanding it but the brown went all the way through the gel coat so we ended up painting the transom. Of course the PO put the name in huge letters so the we were putting on would not cover the old name.

A boat's name is part of its personality. How dare you change its name!

I have changed the name on many boats and never had an issue except the one that burned the gel coat.

Make sure you do all of the necessary ceremonies with lots of alcohol :angel:You wouldn't want to chance upsetting any sea gods, or anyone else for that matter. :dance:
I recommend starting with the hair dryer and only going to the heat gun if the hair dryer doesn't work well. Don't be in a hurry. Talk to Awlgrip about removing any residue and or shadowing, as it is a "special" product.

A boat's name is part of its personality. How dare you change its name!
IMO more a reflection of previous owner.
Give it a new personality if the old doesn't fit
Have never done any ceremony.
Oh no! You are taking a mighty risk!
I've change 3 and always had a ceremony... often with multi boats joining in. Has been an marina event at times and a great excuse for a party.
As you can see everyone got in the mood!

Attachments

• Boat 2013_9_34 C.jpg
    Boat 2013_9_34 C.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 023 CC.jpg
    023 CC.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Boat 2013_9_6 C.jpg
    Boat 2013_9_6 C.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
When I sold my trailerable boat last Spring, I removed the boat name, some design vinyl, state registration sticker and numbers. Carefully used a heat gun to soften up the vinyl and a plastic scrapper to get the vinyl off without scratching the hull. Also use Un-du to get off the adhesive remaining from the registration sticker and numbers off the boat.

15492-albums680-picture6571.jpg

Jim

Have never done any ceremony.

You will live to regret that! :D

Eraser wheels were originally used to remove vinyl pin stripes from cars. I’d guess they were safe to use on Awlgrip.

Give it a new personality if the old doesn't fitOh no! You are taking a mighty risk!
I've change 3 and always had a ceremony... often with multi boats joining in. Has been an marina event at times and a great excuse for a party.
Bacchus,

That's the way to get into the spirit!!!
Looks like a fun time was had by all, and after all, that is the whole purpose!:thumb:
Well, almost the whole purpose. Comodave, I hope that the sea gods don't get angry. :whistling::dance:
When we christened our first boat, a 37 foot sailboat, we lucked out with a beautiful day in November (a bit rare in the PNW). We had about 30 guests with food, drink, speeches, the traditional "breaking of the champagne bottle (wrapped in a sock to contain any glass), and even tested the buoyancy of our boat by having over 20 people on board at a time.:rofl: Of course we never left the dock! :angel:
Many passersby stopped to watch the proceedings, and a good time was had by all.

My new to me project boat (SS Phelps because it took a swim) has painted name on it. Well over 10 yrs. EZ OFF will get the name, but the fade is like an STD, it's forever. I have put a vinyl wrap wood grain on a transom before, anyone got a source? I am well qualified to do the install.

I am sure we are not talking about documented boat. You can change a documented name and hailing port, but pretty sure you can't transfer a documented name and port to another boat. Documented boats keep history of the names. I believe once the name/port combo is used, it can't be used again. Anyone know for sure?

I am sure we are not talking about documented boat. You can change a documented name and hailing port, but pretty sure you can't transfer a documented name and port to another boat. Documented boats keep history of the names. I believe once the name/port combo is used, it can't be used again. Anyone know for sure?

I don’t think this is accurate. I looked at the NVDC website and did not see it mentioned. One of the documentation services had the following on it’s website.

Can there be more than one boat with the same name?
Yes. Documented vessels are primarily identified by the Official Number which is awarded to a vessel upon initial documentation. Therefore, documented vessels may have identical or similar names.

We did an official ceremony on our current boat since we had such a long trip to make to bring her home and needed all the help we could get. The worst part was Poseidon, Boreas, Zephyrus, Eurus & Notus got more champagne than we did. They must've been happy though, since we came back almost 1000 miles without a hiccup. Then again, buying a boat from Scott Neeld might've had something to do with it,too. ;)

We have bought quite a few used boats with names and have never performed the renaming ceremonies. Never had any issues with them either.

As someone mentioned above a rubber decal eraser wheel on a drill is the bomb I recently removed original full hull length decals off a comp ski boat I am restoring. It works fantastic and did not leave a mark on the gel coat. Then cut and polish the hull.
I have never done the renaming ceremony on any of our boats.. I personally feel it's a load of crap and just plain silly. So far so good
Hollywood

Give it a new personality if the old doesn't fitOh no! You are taking a mighty risk!
attachment.php

My Eyes, Oh, MY EYES! :D

Last edited:

It can be used as many times as you like. Two boats can have the same name and hailing port, but will have different documentation numbers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom