How to keep fresh water clean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can I add some comments, as my company does AWWA (American Water Works Association) sterilization of water lines for schools, hospitals, nursing homes, etc.? Just trying to dispel some misconceptions....

1. The AWWA procedure calls for 100 ppm of chlorine for 3 hours. That equates to about 1 quart of Clorox per 100 gallons of water. Run to all fixtures, let sit 3 hours, then flush. We've done this procedure hundreds of times followed by multiple sampling for E. coli and have never once found a positive E. coli result.

That is pretty much the same procedure we used to use when we had a residential well with a submersible pump after the pump and pipe had been pulled for maintenance or replacement. Dump a gallon of bleach down the well, run each fixture until we could smell the bleach and then let it sit overnight. Flush each fixture the next day until the smell was gone or tolerable.

Anyone who has used water from a residential well for some time will smell chlorine when using treated city water but will soon get used to it and not notice the smell.

We drink the water from our tanks. Once in a while I will add a tablespoon of bleach as needed.
I found years ago, after having to clean my tanks, that filtering the water helps a lot. If junk is not allowed into the tank you are far less likely to have trouble. Almost all city systems, good as they are, have dirt in them from repairs or other problems.

Keep the junk out of your tanks for fewer problems.

I don't understand the reluctance to drink from a boat's potable water system. This is the very definition of "potable water". Yes, if it's been neglected or filled with bad water, you might have to clean it up a bit. People mentioned Peggie Hall's book and that is a very good resource for how to clean a boat's potable water system and how to keep it clean.

We have been drinking, cooking ,showering and cleaning from our boat's potable water system since we bought it in 2008 with no issues. We make sure we put nothing but good, clean, treated water in and we add an once or two of chlorine bleach to each tank if we are unsure about the water. If a marina's water smells, we won't put it in our tanks, but even this would pass in time.

It's important to use only a "drinking water safe" hose to fill the tanks, to let the water run for a few minutes before beginning to fill the tanks and to never leave the hose out on the dock where a dock neighbor could use it to wash his boat or rinse out his holding tank.

It is expensive, inconvenient and wasteful to buy, transport and drink bottled water and once you have drunk it, you have to responsibly dispose of the plastic waste (empty bottles). Even if you think you are being "green" by putting them in a recycle container, you are contributing to pollution. There are many legitimate uses for plastic, but single use water bottles is not one of them.

Flush out your system, "shock" it with bleach, being sure to get the bleach solution not only in the tank, but in all the water lines, rinse and then fill your tanks with clean treated water and use it like you would use water at your home or business. Have it tested by the county health department if you are still worried about it.

BTW: If I offer you a bottle of water from my boat, it will have been filled from the boat's potable water system. We keep a few water bottles and refill them a few dozen times before discarding them.
What Ron said. Bottled water is a collosal, paranoic waste.

Can I add some comments, as my company does AWWA (American Water Works Association) sterilization of water lines for schools, hospitals, nursing homes, etc.? Just trying to dispel some misconceptions....

1. The AWWA procedure calls for 100 ppm of chlorine for 3 hours. That equates to about 1 quart of Clorox per 100 gallons of water. Run to all fixtures, let sit 3 hours, then flush. We've done this procedure hundreds of times followed by multiple sampling for E. coli and have never once found a positive E. coli result.

2. I don't like the vinegar idea. Tap water usually contains very little organic material, so it doesn't support the growth of much bacteria. Bacteria need organic material to grow. Vinegar is an organic acid (acetic acid, CH3COOH). Vinegar will not kill bacteria at low doses, but it can add enough carbon to promote bacteria growth over time.

3. The ZeroWater system might remove dissolved solids (TDS) down to zero ppm, but that has nothing to do with bacteria, etc. It does not remove bacteria, just dissolved minerals. I personally think drinking water with zero minerals is not great, but do as you see fit.

4. Filtration (unless rated at less than 0.4 microns) will not remove bacteria. It makes people feel good that they filtered their water, but it doesn't remove heavy metals or bacteria. A 0.4 micron filter will not flow much water, nor will it kill any bacteria downstream. A carbon filter removes taste, but it also removes chlorine from the tap water, so I don't use carbon filters. I'm more concerned about nasty bugs (bacteria) than taste, quite frankly.

5. Chlorine contact with aluminum is potentially corrosive, so make sure not to overdo the 1 quart of chlorine per 100 gallons, and don't chlorinate too often. It's even corrosive to stainless steel, but not significant for short contact times like the 3 hour procedure.

If it were me, for non-drinking water tanks, I'd chlorinate once, then add small amounts of chlorine every few weeks if the water starts smelling a bit.
A carbon filter AFTER the tank removes any residual chlorine whether it be from a municipal water supply or added when filling tanks from well water.

Back
Top Bottom