Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-20-2021, 02:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member
 
City: Bay Of Islands New Zealand
Vessel Name: Offline
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Europa 40
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 31
How good is Prop Speed

I used to paint the bottom with antifoul and do the shafts and rudders with 2 coats of anti foul . My friend tells me Prop speed is the way to go .
Any thoughts ?
reeltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 02:26 PM   #2
Guru
 
Ken E.'s Avatar
 
City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,831
You just missed a lengthy thread on Prop Speed. Check the archives for lots of commentary.
__________________
Ken on Hatt Trick
Ken E. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 03:04 PM   #3
Valued Technical Contributor
 
DavidM's Avatar
 
City: Litchfield, Ct
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,468
The summary is that some have had success with it but a lot haven't and I am one of the latter. Someone said that you have to follow Propspeed's prep instructions to the letter to have any chance of it working.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 05:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member
 
City: Bay Of Islands New Zealand
Vessel Name: Offline
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Europa 40
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 31
Prop speed

Thanks Guys Ill stick to my old way .
Cheers
reeltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 05:19 PM   #5
Guru
 
IRENE's Avatar
 
City: Sequim, WA, USA
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,192
2 years ago, we went with Velox instead of Propspeed. The Propspeed worked fine, but the yard labor to renew and total cost was not insignificant. I asked for an alternative, and Velox was suggested.

The Velox was commented on favorably by our diver many times. It’s performance has been very good, and we reapplied Velox again this year.
__________________
Jeff
MV IRENE
IRENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 07:52 PM   #6
tiz
Senior Member
 
City: Milford
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 146
Also a velox user here.. may change to rust oleum galvanizing coating as that works in our area as well.

—kevin
tiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 11:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member
 
City: Wilton
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 26
Propspeed vs other options

Some quick background. When it comes to the bottom I am DIY. I am not paying the yard to prep and paint. I also know the real hard work is always in the prep. Last summer was our first season attacking the bottom and all gear under our 1982 Sea Ray. The bottom was in overall good shape and had been taken care of with antifoul over the years and had no evidence of any blistering. I sanded heavily ensuring any of the barnacle bases were removed and loose parts of antifoul. I can say I did the best prep job I could over the time we had. I was not going to bare bottom at this time. Multiple thin coats of black ablative were applied. The result on the overall bottom was good and this year I plan to focus on some places that got missed, such as under the boat stands which did not get attention needed. Also around some of my hull attachments I need a little more attention. So I am not overly concerned about what is needed to further improve on the bottom on the fiberglass.

The metal underneath is another story. I got everything cleaned, sanded and prepped. I applied coats of ablative to the shaft struts, rudders, and trip tabs. I painted with the black ablative on all except the shafts which I left bare. The results were horrible, barnacles everywhere on metal, and the ablative did not stick to our trim tabs at all.

Our props are off and will go to Hale propeller up by Old Saybrook. Based on what I have read about Propspeed and need for perfect application and maintenance over time. I will also ask Hale specific to the prop when I drop them off next week.

I am looking for the best option for antifoul for the rudder, shaft struts and propeller. Many in our area use the Petit spray on antifoul that I usually see in gray color. I have also read that Velox is a good product for metal surfaces but am not sure if it is used much in our area of LI Sound. I like the fact that the Velox comes in gray or black.

Any advice or links to previous threads are appreciated.
maggiecat1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 01:36 PM   #8
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 21,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiecat1003 View Post
Our props are off and will go to Hale propeller up by Old Saybrook. Based on what I have read about Propspeed and need for perfect application and maintenance over time. I will also ask Hale specific to the prop when I drop them off next week.

I am looking for the best option for antifoul for the rudder, shaft struts and propeller. Many in our area use the Petit spray on antifoul that I usually see in gray color. I have also read that Velox is a good product for metal surfaces but am not sure if it is used much in our area of LI Sound. I like the fact that the Velox comes in gray or black.

Any advice or links to previous threads are appreciated.
I would simply say that Prop Speed is not for you. Anything but. Petit or Velox or any of the products other paint companies have. While your prep and painting may be adequate for your bottom painting and your needs, it would not be for PropSpeed.

Do you haul annually and intend to paint annually? Is that why you chose ablative?

We use PropSpeed and have always been very happy with it, but professionally applied by a certified yard.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 02:03 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
City: Bristol
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 233
Maggie, I boat in the same area as you and underwater metals get a lot of barnacles. You should not be using regular bottom paint on the metals. I think the spray paint you mean is Petit Barnacle Barrier. It's a zinc spray paint and good on underwater metals. I've never used it but I know others that have and it works for them. Needs 2-3 coats I think. I no longer do my own bottom prep and paint. The marina that does it for me uses Interlux Trilux which is good for underwater metals and is applied with a brush if that's what you prefer. I can't say it does a great job, but it's an option. Certainly better than leaving bare metal. I'd also advise against Prop Speed. It's expensive and I have no experience with it, but if I was to use it I would likely have it professionally applied. That's a pretty pricey option for a DIY guy. It also matters how often you use the boat. Prop speed does not kill barnacles, etc, but is slippery and works when your boat is in operation.
NEtrawler58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 02:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member
 
City: Wilton
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I would simply say that Prop Speed is not for you. Anything but. Petit or Velox or any of the products other paint companies have. While your prep and painting may be adequate for your bottom painting and your needs, it would not be for PropSpeed.

Do you haul annually and intend to paint annually? Is that why you chose ablative?

We use PropSpeed and have always been very happy with it, but professionally applied by a certified yard.

We pull annually in the winter due to conditions in NE and we do not use the boat then.

Thank you for the advice. I will prep the metallic parts well and try one of these options. I agree with your comments on the Propspeed, not something I want to try myself as someone new to all this.

My goal each year is to improve the situation so each annual effort underneath is less of a major issue and more of an ongoing upkeep.

I have learned from many threads here for whatever you are undertaking, the important thing is usually in the prep for whatever you will apply.

But for sure the boat will see new zincs and paint where needed each year.

Thanks and regards
maggiecat1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 02:13 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
City: Bristol
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiecat1003 View Post
We pull annually in the winter due to conditions in NE and we do not use the boat then.

Thank you for the advice. I will prep the metallic parts well and try one of these options. I agree with your comments on the Propspeed, not something I want to try myself as someone new to all this.

My goal each year is to improve the situation so each annual effort underneath is less of a major issue and more of an ongoing upkeep.

I have learned from many threads here for whatever you are undertaking, the important thing is usually in the prep for whatever you will apply.

But for sure the boat will see new zincs and paint where needed each year.

Thanks and regards
Keep in mind that some paints, even some ablatives, lose their effectiveness if out of the water for more than a few weeks. If you don't plan to re-paint each spring and just do touch ups, make sure you are buying a multi-season ablative. If you do go that route, it's good to do a base coat in a different color (like red) and then cover with black. That will tell you when/where you need to re-paint.
NEtrawler58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 02:33 PM   #12
Guru
 
ScottC's Avatar
 
City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 1,303
The Greenline dealer in southern France who is storing and servicing my boat for the winter strongly recommended Prop Speed (for prop only) to me last October at haul-out. I'd never heard of it before. It did seem sort of pricey, but I told him to go ahead with it. I had no idea about all the decision points and potential complications I just read about in this thread. I don't know whether his shop applied it (I don't find them mentioned on Prop Speed's website) or if it was one of a couple of specialists in the same port that did the work for them (these specialists are listed on Prop Speed's website). So, when I made the decision, I had no idea I was taking such a gamble. Ignorance was bliss -- at least in October. We shall soon find out whether it was the right move for a boat that spends most of its time running 5-8 knots.
I will report back...
__________________
Scott
2010 Greenline 33' Hybrid
Home port: Malmö, SWEDEN
Currently in: Valletta, MALTA
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 02:43 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
City: Bristol
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
The Greenline dealer in southern France who is storing and servicing my boat for the winter strongly recommended Prop Speed (for prop only) to me last October at haul-out. I'd never heard of it before. It did seem sort of pricey, but I told him to go ahead with it. I had no idea about all the decision points and potential complications I just read about in this thread. I don't know whether his shop applied it (I don't find them mentioned on Prop Speed's website) or if it was one of a couple of specialists in the same port that did the work for them (these specialists are listed on Prop Speed's website). So, when I made the decision, I had no idea I was taking such a gamble. Ignorance was bliss -- at least in October. We shall soon find out whether it was the right move for a boat that spends most of its time running 5-8 knots.
I will report back...
Why do you think it was a big gamble? If it was properly applied to your prop, it should work fine at those speeds.
NEtrawler58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 02:45 PM   #14
Guru
 
ScottC's Avatar
 
City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEtrawler58 View Post
Why do you think it was a big gamble? If it was properly applied to your prop, it should work fine at those speeds.
I noticed quite a tendency in this thread to indicate that it was not really meant for slow boats...
__________________
Scott
2010 Greenline 33' Hybrid
Home port: Malmö, SWEDEN
Currently in: Valletta, MALTA
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 02:47 PM   #15
Guru
 
City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 6,043
Unless you have a very slow turning prop, Propspeed should still work fine on the prop of a slow boat. It may not work as well on the rest of the running gear that moves through the water slower, however.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 02:50 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
City: Bristol
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Unless you have a very slow turning prop, Propspeed should still work fine on the prop of a slow boat. It may not work as well on the rest of the running gear that moves through the water slower, however.
Correct, but I think it was only on his prop. I don't have any experience with it, maybe B&B can weigh in, but I understand that it does wear off, so I'm not sure how long it lasts on a the prop of a really fast boat. Might actually be better for the prop on a trawler, but I'm just guessing here.
NEtrawler58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 02:50 PM   #17
Guru
 
ScottC's Avatar
 
City: Malmö
Vessel Name: ABsolutely FABulous
Vessel Model: Greenline 33 Hybrid (2010)
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Unless you have a very slow turning prop, Propspeed should still work fine on the prop of a slow boat. It may not work as well on the rest of the running gear that moves through the water slower, however.
My typical cruising speed of 7 knots = about 1850 RPM
__________________
Scott
2010 Greenline 33' Hybrid
Home port: Malmö, SWEDEN
Currently in: Valletta, MALTA
ScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 03:00 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
City: Bristol
Join Date: Mar 2022
Posts: 233
You probably know this but just in case....Prop Speed is a slick coating that works by being too slippery for growth to attach to, as opposed to an anti-fouling biocide that kills the growth. The spinning prop should cause anything attached to it to fall off. As rslifkin pointed out, if you use it on other underwater metals (rudder for instance) a slow moving boat may not clean off the growth well, but a spinning propeller is moving through the water much faster and should be fine.
NEtrawler58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 03:02 PM   #19
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 21,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
My typical cruising speed of 7 knots = about 1850 RPM
We use it on all underwater gear. While it would help less on your 7 knot running gear, it would still help because you use your boat a lot, but on the props it will be very effective and speed of the boat won't matter on them. It isn't going to be effective on the boat that sits in the water for four months without moving.

In some ways though, you'll benefit even more. Losing a knot of speed to you is 14%. People underestimate the impact of barnacles on slower boats.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 03:03 PM   #20
Veteran Member
 
City: Wilton
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEtrawler58 View Post
Maggie, I boat in the same area as you and underwater metals get a lot of barnacles. You should not be using regular bottom paint on the metals. I think the spray paint you mean is Petit Barnacle Barrier. It's a zinc spray paint and good on underwater metals. I've never used it but I know others that have and it works for them. Needs 2-3 coats I think. I no longer do my own bottom prep and paint. The marina that does it for me uses Interlux Trilux which is good for underwater metals and is applied with a brush if that's what you prefer. I can't say it does a great job, but it's an option. Certainly better than leaving bare metal. I'd also advise against Prop Speed. It's expensive and I have no experience with it, but if I was to use it I would likely have it professionally applied. That's a pretty pricey option for a DIY guy. It also matters how often you use the boat. Prop speed does not kill barnacles, etc, but is slippery and works when your boat is in operation.
Thanks for your local feedback. Much appreciated. So now I have three options to study up on for self application - Pettit Barnacle Barrier, Interlux Trilux for metals and Velox for metals.

As always more info an products to read up on. Great thing about these forums! And I am learning things about metallurgy and electrical currents in salt water. For sure I learned this season copper containing ablative paints don't stay on other metals very well at all!

Appreciate the help.
maggiecat1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012