How good is Prop Speed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PropSpeed applied!

Launching within about a week!
PropSpeed applied!
Caramel parfait comes to mind...
I will report back later in the year with results.

Attachments

• PropSpeed1.jpg
    PropSpeed1.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 66
I’ve used cold galvanizing coating quite a bit in the past w fair to good results.
Then I tried using ArmorAll. Not being a porous material (prop) the AA dosn’t really dry but at times I’ve put the prop w AA on it out in the summer sun. The metal prop soaks up considerable heat and the messiness is much reduced.

Basic application is using a clean rag w acetone to clean the prop. then squirt on the AA from the plastic bottle and brush evenly over the front and back of the blades w a $.59 throw away bristle brush. Mostly just to spread evenly.

I do my best to put the prop back on w/o touching the prop faces. I usually use rubber gloves w hands straight putting pressure on the outer rim of the prop.

Then after launch I go directly back to the moorage slip. I use 1400rpm about. Then after a few days I’ll use cruising power. Some of this probably has no benefit but I do it anyway.

I got the AA idea after buying an old Buick that the PO had ArmorAll’d just about everything. When driving in the rain water on the windshield would bead up and travel along w the outside airflow. Eight to 10 years later the water still beading up. So I thought if the AA is effective at 70mph for years perhaps it would continue to perform underwater on a prop.

I’m sure PS works better but the AA has always been worth the trouble. On one application there was three or four barnacles on the prop (about 1/4”) and very close to the prop shaft. That’s about it.

Last edited:
Launching within about a week!
PropSpeed applied!
Caramel parfait comes to mind...
I will report back later in the year with results.

The results are in.

Boat was hauled on 1 September 2022 in Malta.

5 months in the water and distance covered about 1300 NM at ~7 knots.

The photo below is before any washing, rinsing, etc.
I hope I can get another season out of this, considering the cost!

Attachments

• IMG_6583.jpg
    IMG_6583.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 62
Have used Velox and Propspeed. Edges of prop had no velox after 8 m. Propspeed was still good. Both suck but are way better than anything else. Cost of propspeed professionally done is well worth it imho. Just like thrusters does much better if you use your boat. Unlike ablative props need to spin to stay clean. We spin our thrusters periodically even if stuck in a dock or at anchor for awhile. Haven’t found anything that I’m happy with for thrusters props. But happy with propspeed on the propulsion prop.

Got 2.5 years with propspeed. Just reapplied.

If you are in tropical waters with aggressive barnacle growth Velox is a waste of money.
Living Thailand used Velox twice the barnacles stick, but it gives me a nice surface to keep clean. I bag my prop or dive on it weekly to keep the critters down. Will try a hard anti foul next.
I did read about. Shelley spray sealer for exposed metal but now the name escapes me.

Application is fussy and time critical. When properly applied, it's excellent.

Had velox in windwards on a max prop on a sailboat. Did just fine for a full year. Need to be very aggressive with 60 grit. Wipe several times with copious acetone before starting application and it held up.
Had propspeed put on professionally in April of 2022. Non adjustable screw on a NT42. Then went Deltaville-Newport. Cruised around some and then Newport to Deltaville. So not that far. Short hauled for anodes and replaced 2 frozen thru hulls a couple of weeks ago. Then saw bottom paint needed a few areas of touch up but propspeed was flaking off at the edges. Striped it all off and re did it from scratch. Hopefully it does better. Up until now have been liberal with speed. Running frequently at 10kts or higher. Come to think with high prop revs prep and application needs to be meticulous. Low revs are more forgiving. Now in Morehead city heading south. Once I have time and the water is warm enough will put on a mask and take a peak. Will let you know how it’s doing.

Last edited:
Does anyone on here have any experience with spray on Galvanized coating?

I was by a boat yard in GA that had several boats there they had done that to the props.

The summary is that some have had success with it but a lot haven't and I am one of the latter. Someone said that you have to follow Propspeed's prep instructions to the letter to have any chance of it working.

David
Having bottom paint applied at Philbrook's and their guy told me PropSpeed breaks down unless you use the boat a lot. FWIW, he said that if it sits for awhile, barnacle larvae are able to nibble away at it, breaking it down. If the prop turns regularly, this is disrupted. Beats me, but it didn't last long enough on Delfin to justify the cost.

I used the Rustoleum spray galvanized coating on my props and rudders and it worked pretty well here in SoCal for the past year and a half. I also did my trim tabs with it which I will probably do with AF next time. You need to put on several full coats, I think I did 3-4. Pretty cheap way to go and works fairly well.

Delfin except post. Question is “what’s a lot”?
Is it length of intervals boat sits or distance the boat travels?

We now seem to be doing a lot of miles but have intervals when the boat just sits and we fly home.

Last edited:
Delfin except post. Question is “what’s a lot”?
Is it length of intervals boat sits or distance the boat travels?

Hippo, Well, if you pays your money, and if it DOESN'T work for you, than I guess their response might be that you were using the wrong definition of "a lot"!:whistling:

We used the Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing (zinc) when we hauled out in Jan of this year. It help up well over the last 11 months and 3,400 miles, although it's wearing off now at the blade tips. Cost around $35.00 (3 cans, 3 fully cured coats). I think Prop Speed costs a wee bit more than that . . . . :popcorn::D

Last edited:
Okay I’m going to throw something out that most, if not all, is going to call total BS on and I don’t blame you. But years ago both as a shipyard worker and later a surveyor I worked on the purse seiner fleet in San Pedro. Almost without exception both the Italian and Slav seiner owners would show up before launching and liberally coat their screws and tail shafts with Andy Grantelli’s STP. In fact the yards stocked this stuff in pop top cans. These guys fished Mexican warm waters and swore it kept hard growth off. Did it work well hard to say but you couldn’t convince them otherwise

Rick

Makes sense. Know many cruisers use lanolin. Think just about anything that prevents latching on maybe of benefit. Always wondered about a Teflon or or durable ceramic coating. Prop spins junk slides off.

Which product are you referring too ?
Sorry- propspeed.
We had a terrible infestation of barnacles in Fremantle last summer. Globic 9000 didn't stop them on the hull, but the prop stayed quite clean.

We've used prop speed for many years. It was applied by the book and is touched up during each spring haul out. Every fall a diver cleans the bottom and checks zincs with few if any prop barnacles showing up. It works as advertised for us with no thought given to trying other stuff.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom