Old 08-31-2020, 05:47 PM   #1
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Hot Water Heater Anode Location

Bought this brand new 11 gallon hot water heater. There isn’t an anode listed or included. So what are your options? Can you remove the drain valve and put a magnesium anode in it’s place?
Appreciate getting educated on this.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8921.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	107313
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:23 PM   #2
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
Bought this brand new 11 gallon hot water heater. There isn’t an anode listed or included. So what are your options? Can you remove the drain valve and put a magnesium anode in it’s place?
Appreciate getting educated on this.
Attachment 107313
Yes. It looks to be a Seaward heater. The manual will tell you to remove the drain and thread in the anode.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:37 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
Yes. It looks to be a Seaward heater. The manual will tell you to remove the drain and thread in the anode.

Thank you. I looked for a heater with an anode and found none. So this helps a lot. [emoji106]
Old 08-31-2020, 07:53 PM   #4
Guru

City: Port Ludlow
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
Thank you. I looked for a heater with an anode and found none. So this helps a lot. [emoji106]

Torrid water heaters have anodes. I just replaced the anode in mine today.
drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 02:47 PM   #5
Guru

The new unit is installed! The drain was taken out and an eight inch magnesium anode installed[emoji844]
Old 09-12-2020, 05:08 PM   #6
Guru

City: Dewatto
Vessel Name: CHiTON
Vessel Model: Tung Hwa Clipper 30
Is the "drain" you are talking about on the upper right in the picture? That is an over pressure valve that would not drain the tank. If that is the drain referred to, how is that put back on after the anode is installed? If the valve is not re-installed, the hot water heater could become a pressure cooker with no pressure relief valve.

I've only had it happen once on a boat (and once at home), but somehow the temperature switch got stuck and the water boiled. The pressure relief valve worked, and since it was plumbed properly, a hose from the valve shot the boiling water into the bilge. There was enough steam so that the ER smoke detectors went off. Plenty exciting even without the tank blowing up.

I don't have an anode on my HW heater, vintage 1981. I wouldn't install one now instead of the pressure relief valve.
Old 09-12-2020, 05:11 PM   #7
Guru

City: Dewatto
Vessel Name: CHiTON
Vessel Model: Tung Hwa Clipper 30
Nevermind. I looked closer at the picture and now see the drain. Mine doesn't have that setup. Only a pressure relief valve.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:54 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Flamingo View Post
Nevermind. I looked closer at the picture and now see the drain. Mine doesn't have that setup. Only a pressure relief valve.

The anode is 8” long and fit really well. If I want to drain the tank I’ll just unscrew the anode which was installed with teflon tape. [emoji106]
Old 09-13-2020, 07:40 AM   #9
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
I have the same heater and found the drain valve very tough to remove, was it the case for you?

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:13 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
I have the same heater and found the drain valve very tough to remove, was it the case for you?

L

Mine was brand new. But yes it was tight. The valve was installed with pipe dope from the factory. Might be easier with some hot water poured on it.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:44 AM   #11
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Devils advocate here.
Why did you install an anode if the manufacturer did not see it to be necessary on a one metal tank?
Also the teflon tape on the anode thread 'may' eliminate conductivity.
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:45 AM   #12

City: Eastcoast
Vessel Model: American Tug 41
I'm also curious and would like to bring closure to this topic as I have a similar water heater. I pulled the manual and it says something to the effect "in a small number of instances tap water may have sufficient concentrations of dissolved salts to cause corrosion of the water tank. An anode may be used in these cases".
But like i suspect many, my water heater has never had an anode in it, 10 yrs old and going strong, so I'm wondering how many boaters actually do this? Of course we know its not like the other anodes that are constantly subjected to saltwater as in the engine cooling system.
Perhaps its only needed in certain regions where the city (dock) water is high in salt, or poor quality.....?
sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:01 AM   #13
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
Pure fresh water doesn't conduct electricity very well so even with dissimilar metals in the tank, there is little corrosion. As stated in the manual you quoted, if the water in the tank has enough dissolved salts, the water can become conductive enough where galvanic corrosion can cause a problem. So just like on a boat, a sacrificial anode is beneficial. Some tanks come with an anode preinstalled .There would have to be a tapped plug available to be able to add an anode where one did not exist.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:42 AM   #14
Guru

City: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
Pure fresh water doesn't conduct electricity very well so even with dissimilar metals in the tank, there is little corrosion. As stated in the manual you quoted, if the water in the tank has enough dissolved salts, the water can become conductive enough where galvanic corrosion can cause a problem. So just like on a boat, a sacrificial anode is beneficial. Some tanks come with an anode preinstalled .There would have to be a tapped plug available to be able to add an anode where one did not exist.

Ken
While pure fresh water does not conduct electricity, the only place you can get it is from a lab.

We have no idea what is lurking in the pipes we take our water from.

https://water-research.net/index.php...-zinc-and-more
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 11:35 AM   #15
Guru

City: Italy
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: Currently looking for next boat
One of the issues with the anode, is that they are suspended with an iron rod. Once the anode is dissolved, the iron is exposed to water and an iron eating bacteria. When the bacteria dies it gives off gas which smells like rotten eggs. Ask me how I know.
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 01:00 PM   #16
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
That is the exact tank I put into my Tug 2 years ago. Like others here, the shutoff valve was very tight, so I left it in place and did not replace it with the anode. The previous tank lasted 14 years (without an anode), so I am fine with that.
Using an anode should not be a problem as Gordon described if it is removed for draining annually. It's condition can be checked then. Anodes don't last forever

Using teflon tape to help seal the threads will not affect the conductivity. Many people even use it on engine anodes and have checked for continuity using a meter. On the engine, if used at all, I would use Rector Seal #5 rather than tape.