Hot solenoid valve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhance

Vessel Name
Audrey Grace
Vessel Make
2003 Camano 31
The little round black component in the picture in my propane locker. It gets super hot to the touch. Is that normal? It has a marking, "max temp ambient 121 Celsius. I assume this is a solenoid?

Thanks,

Jamey

Attachments

• 16623191002971237873100275137236.jpg
    16623191002971237873100275137236.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 24
Do you have a switch in the galley that lets you turn the propane on or off. It should be left off if you are not cooking. It sounds like it may be on all of the time which lets it get hotter. Leaving it on all of the time means you don't have any protection against a propane leak while you are not cooking.

David

I have the switch off when not in use. It gets too hot to touch after about 15 mins of being on but sounds like that is normal. propane locker on Camano is not vented, which may be another issue, but the solenoid still gets hot when hatch left open.

Always vent the propane locker low, so I am told.
The tanks are in a separate locker, out side too.
The switch and regulator is outside in the locker too.

Last edited:
Why don’t you get in close with an infrared gun and see what the actual temp is and know for sure. Super hot or too hot to touch don’t really equate to 121°C.

That’s about 250°F and ought to be an instant second degree blister and, at least for me, a string of curse words. I believe there is a mathematical formula for determining temperature by the number and decibel level of obscenities. If not, there should be.

I accidentally touched my knuckle to the front of my Magma grill yesterday. Yes, there is a direct temperature/decibel/toilet mouth relationship.

The little round black component in the picture in my propane locker. It gets super hot to the touch. Is that normal? It has a marking, "max temp ambient 121 Celsius. I assume this is a solenoid?

Thanks,

Jamey

A latching or bistable solenoid coil would prevent the heat build up but I don’t know of the legalities of using these in the US marine industry. In common use here though.

Do you have a switch in the galley that lets you turn the propane on or off. It should be left off if you are not cooking. It sounds like it may be on all of the time which lets it get hotter. Leaving it on all of the time means you don't have any protection against a propane leak while you are not cooking.

David

And it uses a fair amount of DC power. Always turn off the system when not in use. I like to turn off the solenoid first, let the burner go out, then close the stove valve. No residual pressure in the system that way.

Back
Top Bottom