Honey Teak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billyfeet

Vessel Name
SALTY
Vessel Make
FAIRCHILD SCOUT 30
I have heard of this Honey Teak product many times over the years. I have never had the pleasure of actually seeing a boat with it in use. The website is somewhat lacking in actual presentation of user testimony and not much on the web from "Happy Honey Teak" users. Theguy who runs the company is right up the road from me. I called him this AM and he claims that there are many satisfied customers and that he uses no advertising, just word of mouth. OK.....do you have any samples at your place of business that I could see. Well no we don't..... seems kinda weird to me. But in the event that there are any TF members who are experienced with this product I would love some feedback. I face 100 linear feet of mahogany cap rail that needs stripping preparation and some form of coating. Loking for a good product, easy application, long life. Also if anyone knows where the Fountain of Youth is I need GPS coordinates. Thanks for your support.

My one time with Bristol Finish did not end well.... peeled in one year. Cetol light covered with gloss as been very durable and easy maintenance. Sorry no experience with honey teak. Looking forward to all the opinions.

My one time with Bristol Finish did not end well.... peeled in one year. Cetol light covered with gloss as been very durable and easy maintenance. Sorry no experience with honey teak. Looking forward to all the opinions.

My one time experience with Bristol also did not come out well. Lots of runs, sags and drips. But it did hold up, at least on mahogany. Marin likes the stuff and has posted here how he applies it (IIRC).

Used to be an Epifanes aficionado for use on the exterior mahogany on our previous boat. Current boat's teak cap rails came with Cetol Natural base coat and gloss topcoats already on them, for who knows how long, and they held up very well for seven years with only a couple of maintenance coats applied. No sanding, just washing and scrubby pad, required.

Wooded the cap rails this fall and decided to redo them with Cetol. Doesn't look like a well done varnish job, but eminently acceptable to us and easy to maintain.

Have used Honey Teak for about 10 years now on our hand and caprails. We tried several products previously, but none held up well or were as easy to re-apply. We stripped the teak, applied the Honey (pigmented coat) as recommended by Tom, the company owner, and overcoated with their Clear finish. Yearly, we re-apply only the Clear, after rubbing down the previous finish with a red Scotchbrite pad (no sanding). If necessary, you can lay on additional coats as soon as the previous has set up. We apply only one. The rails have about 12 coats on now after 10 years in the Mexican sun, and are in great shape. The only finish breakdown has been around stanchion bases, etc., where water has penetrated under the finish, and discolored the teak. In hindsight, I could have prevented this by caulking around any fittings. Honey Teak is a very hard finish and resists abrasion, scratches, etc. much better than varnish. We are very satisfied customers, and the admiral enjoys applying it!

Thank you for your review! I just might give it a try!

Back
Top Bottom