Hinges and gas struts for Engine Room hatches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Escape
Vessel Make
Mariner 37
The Engine Room access hatches on my Mariner 37 lift out. They were supplied with hinges and gas struts on later hulls, but mine is an early vintage. Seems like adding hinges and gas struts is pretty straightforward. Is that a DIY project or a standard upgrade most yards would do?

No ONE YET??????

I don;t have one of these so this is conjecture.

To me it should be a DIY.

A close examination should suggest what is needed for mounting. You may need to build pads of plywood and secure them to the hatch and deck underside. Make or have made alumimum brackets and so on.

Hopefully there is one so equipped nearby that you can examine and copy.

THere are a lot of these things out there in many different lifting strengths and lengths.

Weigh the hatch.

I found this instruction section by Google. THere are others. Have fun.

https://www.boatingmag.com/installing-gas-strut-hatch-supports/

Thanks C. The strut side looks pretty straightforward. I'm good with DIY and sourcing and installing what I see as piano hinges doesn't seem bad either. What is intimidating is the prospect of shaving or planing or routing some space for the hinge off the one side of the hatch. I have 3 of them to do.

BE VERY CAREFUL!

I wanted to improve upon the already existing struts for three large and heavy hatches on my boat. I am quite good at various things DIY. I also understand geometry and physics to a certain extent...and both come into play here.

After a little research, I determined that these rather expensive gas struts come in a large variety of lengths and pressures. In order to increase the chances of getting it right the first time, thereby reducing return & exchange costs, I opted to have my boat yard deal with this project. They're very good at all kinds of "special" projects and very clever, but this one gave them headaches to the point where I decided to cancel the project altogether. I say be very careful because with the angles and leverage involved, it could be easily possible to snap a bracket or crack fiberglass or have a strut punch through a hatch or, worse yet, injure somebody.

I will eventually get back to this project somehow, someday. I'm not trying to suggest you shouldn't untertake it. I'm just warning you that it can be more complex and even dangerous than it might appear to be at first glance.

Gas struts ain't expensive unless you buy Porsche struts. Just saying.

Oh sorry, just saw you were in Malmö. That might make a difference.

Gas struts ain't expensive unless you buy Porsche struts. Just saying.

Or they say 'Marine' anywhere in the description....

Don't know if I'd use a piano hinge.. Lot of little screws. Might want to remove the hatch completely some day.

If you want to go first class look at linear actuators. Press a button, hatch opens. Press another, hatch closes.

No experience with either but I've thought about it.

Removing the hatch altogether is something I hope to avoid, but preserving the opportunity may be smart. Good point on the piano hinge. It would also be smart to look at several other boats' hatches and see how they are hinged. How are you guys' hatches hinged?

And while I love automation, I'm fine lifting the hatch manually. It would sure beat wrestling it out and leaning it up against something while hoping it doesn't come crashing down at the wrong moment.

It looks like the current models in the Helmsman 38/Mariner 37 lineage use the piano hinge and gas strut approach with everything else about the hatch and surrounding deck being the same. I am cautiously optimistic.

Back
Top Bottom