Help identify this tool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Perko calls it an adjustable deck plate key. They don’t make them out of bronze any more, chrome plated zinc now. I think Groco still makes a bronze one.

Attachments

• Deck-Key-Rendering-2[1].png
    Deck-Key-Rendering-2[1].png
    70.5 KB · Views: 72
Just bought a bronze one from Fisheries to replace a zinc one that got bent on a friends frozen deck plate.

^^^^^THIS
made me think of this vvvvvv I may need help.
View attachment 95761
You might :). I got sick of the pissy little tool supplied, asked my then Yard about it.The son in the business fabricates metal and made it. Lifts and carries an 8D on his own too.

Greetings,
Interesting range of descriptive terms for that tool. When I had our 25kw Onan generator serviced, the "mechanic" (and THAT is a stretch!) used what I know as flare nut wrenches to remove the injectors. He had a different name for them...

iu

Also interesting is Mr. G's reference to a Crescent wrench (post #15) which I know as both an adjustable wrench AND a Crescent wrench. Crescent is the trade name that has stuck for that particular tool probably because Crescent may have been the first or the most prolific manufacturer of that particular style of wrench.

Similarly, a generic item such as facial tissue is commonly referred to as Kleenex around here.

In the past, we would make a Zerox copy?

"I know as flare nut wrenches to remove the injectors"

YES! these are the proper tools to use on refrigeration flare nuts.

Even tho the refrigeration nuts are far heavier than the usual plumbing nuts the multi point contact helps breaking loose refrigeration nuts that may have locking glue .

The tool in the original post can also be used to unscrew the head end cap of some Hydraulic cylinders.

And if your real lucky, the pin size is different when you flip it over. Makes for a very useful tool. Can be used for lots of stuff, you’ll see.

I second that. That's probably one of the most-used tools on my boat. If it makes it to the bottom of the "junk drawer" I have a moment of panic thinking I may have lost it. Luckily that doesn't usually happen.

I bought it about 4 boats ago, when I was trying to remove a hard-to-reach oil filter. I'd already destroyed the shell of the filter trying all the usual tricks; strap wrench, screwdriver through the case, etc.

I went looking for the right tool, and when I saw this at the fishing supply store I realized that the filter base has holes in it. Bought it, ripped the rest of the case off the filter, pulled out the guts, and lined the pins up on the filter base. Came right off.

It seems to find more and more uses as time goes on, although most days it's just a deck filler wrench.

Back
Top Bottom