thanks!
ordered it!
Rockport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:28 PM   #22

City: Sonoma
Vessel Name: Furnished Escape
Vessel Model: Nova 44 Sundeck Trawler
thanks, Pete!

Prior boat was a sailboat, and from that i thought that the lazarette was something you sat on that opened. then after you comment, i googled it, and its a compartment at the stern of the boat!
Regardless, this post has generated some awesome responses!
mike
Old 08-27-2020, 09:33 PM   #23

This is great! buying the book, cleaning the bilges, using pureayre. If nothing works, there will be this active venting solution! My stinky girl! I really want to get to the root cause. Did pick up a horoscope to send down the bile.
Im the aft stateroom there are some small access panels. i looked down there with a flash light and don't see anything, but there is a definite odor. The stern tanks in the lazerette have been removed, and the area they lived cleaned and painted. There is also some hydraulics there for the trim tabs. hydraulic fluid also stinks. Some of that spilled, and i cleaned it up. My bilge access does not seem to run the full length of the boat, it stops well before the bed. (i.e is glassed over) Is this normal?
From the outside (when we hauled), bilge seems to run the length of the boat.
Old 08-28-2020, 05:31 AM   #24
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
Take a look at the return air for your AC. Ensure the return air only sucks off the cabin space. Some ACs have grills in cabinetry but the unit can draw air from inside the cabinetry which draws in a percentage of bildge or ER air. I used Armaflex to build boxing that seals the suction path for the AC. This eliminated ER smells from our cabin. Good luck
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:49 AM   #25

...If I HAD AC/, which we don't (yet)!
Thanks for the tip, will keep in mind when we do that upgrade!!
Old 08-31-2020, 02:38 PM   #26

City: Isleton
Vessel Name: The Janie C
Vessel Model: Uniflite 42
Are you using 3 duct fans on either side or one on each side?
Old 08-31-2020, 02:59 PM   #27
Guru

City: Fleming Island, Fl
Vessel Name: Sakura Perdido
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
Diesel smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockport View Post
Hi all-

I'm new to all this. Purchased an 88 Nova CPMY Sundeck Trawler. Our second boat (1st was a sailboat). We love it!

There were some leaky tanks in the compartment under the stern fishing deck of the boat which we cut out and removed. The area does not appear to have bilge access from this compartment. Its been thoroughly cleaned with orange oil, and painted. However, it does (still) smell somewhat of diesel / hydraulic fluid.

Way more annoying is that the smell is also in the aft stateroom. There are tanks under the bed, so we don't really seem to have any access to the bilge area under the bed.

I'm looking for any suggestions on how to mitigate this smell. I'm thinking there must be some fluid in this area of the bilge, but it's relatively inaccessible. The stern end of the engine room has a big genset and batteries.

Are there any oil-consuming bio-products that anyone has any experience with? If i cannot get to the area, maybe i can release some critters that will find their way there and convert any petroleum products in the bilge to something that doesn't stink?

Thanks!

Mike
Same thing happened to me, which means, you have 2 problems. 1. Cleaning it up. 2. Locating it's source and fixing it.

I started smelling diesel in the aft stateroom while we were sleeping. The bilge was full of diesel. Turns out, the fuel return line from the generator had ruptured so the generator was getting fuel from the tank but the line returning unused fuel to the tank was spitting the fuel into the bilge. It was a major cleanup and a minor fix.
Having said that, I can't imagine having no access to parts of your bilge. That seems not only inconvenient but potentially dangerous. I seriously recommend having a competent facility look at that issue and see if it can be remedied. Good luck.
Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:33 PM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Night Watch
Vessel Model: 36’ Nova Sundeck
Nova bilge

Hi, I have the 36’ Nova sundeck
At the foot of the bed in aft cabin there is a small hatch. From there you can view forward and I use a mirror on a stick.
On my boat there is a screwed down round access plate right there. I forgot to open it up when I hauled out in March so not sure what’s in there. I will do it when I’m out of the water though. It doesn’t look original so I’m treating it like Pandora’s Box for now.

From the shower in aft head, the water goes into a bilge that is a little aft of the front of the engines. There is a post on this site which talks about how another Nova owner found gallons of water UNDER the place where the bilge pump and float switch were located here. He ended up cutting that area out and lowering the bilge. He turned out to be my neighbor of all things and I had him show me what he did.

If you flip up the mattress and take off all the panels, you could see if any thing has leaked in to that area at either end. The hyanauntic steering fluid chambers are there on my boat.
I don’t have the fish deck tank so not sure what that would look like.
I’d look at Nordwind’s post for in depth info on his hidden bilge.
Best of luck.
Night Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:51 PM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Aurora
Vessel Name: Calypso
Vessel Model: Heritage East 36
We had a diesel spill that got into our bilge. What finally did the trick was to pour some blue Dawn dishwashing soap in the bilge and let it sit for several days. It worked wonders. Got rid of the smell permanently.
Bellakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:31 AM   #30
Veteran Member

City: chattanooga tn
Wipe the hoses with a wet rag then smell them.I went thru diesel smell hell until I took a cabinet apart and found the fill hose permeated with diesel.It was likely original and had delaminated. By the way I tried all degreasers,odor eaters ect. If its a bad hose replacement is the only answer. Good luck.
obenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 07:14 AM   #31

City: Bristol, RI
I’ve had two of these 8” 12v Noctua computer fans running for six years 24/7 in the engine room. Even without a diesel leak it makes the rest of the boat smell much fresher. It’s rated at 5000 cubic ft per hour so it ‘s moving plenty of air. It draws 0.96 watts (that’s not a misprint) and is almost silent (18db regular speed and 10db on low speed). I made a little mounting bracket out of starboard to mate it to a standard exhaust hose. They have smaller ones that would fit a 4” hose.

It’s also cools the engine room down much faster at the end of the day making the cabin noticeably cooler.

https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-A20...961831&sr=8-14
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 01:47 PM   #32

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Rose Mary
Vessel Model: 42 Grand Banks Motoryacht - 1985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takoradi View Post
Are you using 3 duct fans on either side or one on each side?

We closed 5 out of the 6 engine room vents and used a single duct fan on the last one - so it's only on one side.
Westiculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:24 AM   #33

City: Isleton
Vessel Name: The Janie C
Vessel Model: Uniflite 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westiculo View Post
We closed 5 out of the 6 engine room vents and used a single duct fan on the last one - so it's only on one side.

Thanks Westiculo. I have twin gassers in my 42 Uniflite and get engine smells in the aft cabin. Adding this to “The List”!

Tak
Old 09-05-2020, 10:39 AM   #34
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takoradi View Post
Thanks Westiculo. I have twin gassers in my 42 Uniflite and get engine smells in the aft cabin. Adding this to “The List”!

Tak
I occasionally get a little smell from my gassers after shutdown if there's not enough wind to force some air through the engine room. SOP for me is to wait 5-10 minutes after shutdown, then run the blowers for a couple of minutes. That generally takes care of it.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:04 AM   #35
FF
Guru

If there are no leaks of diesel, after the chemical cures the last tool is an ozone generator.

It will clean up the aroma , but only if the smell source is secured .

A day or two will tell.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote