Old 06-17-2020, 12:29 PM   #21
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnotYet View Post
A zinc will only protect the metals that form part of the circuit it is a part of.
I would want to have separate zincs for any separate metal parts that don't connect.
Also, the further away a zinc is from a metal part the less protection it will provide.
I think those coolers should have zincs of their own unless they are made of special alloy.
I have seen some that do.
Zincs or any sacrificial anode is only needed to protect dissimilar metals. If a cooler is made from all the same metal or metals that are very close to each other on the galvanic scale then any corrosion is very slow. The higher quality oil coolers are this way so no zinc is needed and they last more than 10 years.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 04:11 PM   #22

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Malagari
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 36 Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
Zincs or any sacrificial anode is only needed to protect dissimilar metals. If a cooler is made from all the same metal or metals that are very close to each other on the galvanic scale then any corrosion is very slow. The higher quality oil coolers are this way so no zinc is needed and they last more than 10 years.

Ken
Ken,

You make a point re the dissimilar metals and I assume the outer case and inner tubes are the same - no problems - where does the solder holding the end caps on etc fit in the equation - could this be a justification for an anode?
Brisyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 04:36 PM   #23
Guru

City: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
Ken
Unfortunately, you will seldom find any pure, unalloyed metal in your boat nowadays.
Zincs can also protect against stray current electrolysis as in a zinc on a bronze prop.
KnotYet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 04:59 PM   #24
Guru

City: Bainbridge Island/Petersburg Alaska
Vessel Name: Oz
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40' RPH 1979
One other tip. I always use a plumber's pipe brush to clean the threads and hole in the exchanger when changing zincs. It gets rid of any the crud that builds up and helps prevent the zinc from getting stuck. A useful tool to have in ones arsenal.

Tator
Tator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:52 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisyboy View Post
Ken,

You make a point re the dissimilar metals and I assume the outer case and inner tubes are the same - no problems - where does the solder holding the end caps on etc fit in the equation - could this be a justification for an anode?
I’m sure it could but don’t overthink it. Some heat exchangers especially the small oil coolers don’t have space for a zinc and
last many years.

Ken
Old 06-17-2020, 10:50 PM   #26
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Am I mistaken or could someone take a piece of oversize zinc rod, turn 2-3" of it down so it just slips through the pipe thread opening, slide a pipe die up that portion and cut the pipe thread, slide it off and grind a hex or cut a slot on the remainder; thus making a one piece zinc?
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:19 AM   #27
Guru

City: gulf coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
I believe that swollen anodes in the heat exchangers is a common problem in Lehmans, probably other engines as well. I got tired of having to remove the end cap and cleaning the bits out. The diameter of the standard anode is 1/2 inch. I switched to 3/8-inch anodes. They, of course, don't last as long but no more having to punch out broken off anodes.
threaded rod couplers will fit 1/2" zincs
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:47 AM   #28
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Several OEM Cupro nickel heat exchangers are designed and metallurgy speced for no zincs. All Perkins Sabres and Cat 3054/3056 come to mind. I've heard there are others, just not laid eyes on them.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:20 AM   #29
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksie View Post
Am I mistaken or could someone take a piece of oversize zinc rod, turn 2-3" of it down so it just slips through the pipe thread opening, slide a pipe die up that portion and cut the pipe thread, slide it off and grind a hex or cut a slot on the remainder; thus making a one piece zinc?
You might well end up with a crumbled zinc which would not be removable.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:13 PM   #30
Veteran Member

City: Safety Harbor
Vessel Name: Yankee Peddler
Vessel Model: Grand Banks Eastbay
Dialelctric grease is an insulator. It is printed on the tube. If you use it test with an Ohm meter.
Mike Negley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 02:51 PM   #31
Tim
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: NANCY J
Vessel Model: GB 42 Classic
I filed the outside threads off the brass nut and then threaded it back on the threads on top of zinc. Turn until tight on zinc and then another turn which will free the zinc in the hole and then remove both zinc and nut. Get a new nut and zinc and you are good to go.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 03:30 PM   #32

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Freebird
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen North Sea
No. Teflon tape will prevent continuity thus defeating the purpose of the zinc.
DLaNeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 03:39 PM   #33

City: Essington, PA.
Vessel Name: Nepidae
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Sundeck
Ford Lehman Heat Exchanger

Please read:

THERE IS NO ONE WHO KNOWS THE FORD LEHMAN ENGINE LIKE BRIAN SMITH.

Look here for contact info: https://americandieselcorp.com/

His dad marinized the engine, plus aside from his knowledge on any version of engines, he also has parts.

ANYONE on a forum is passing on their experience, not necessarily what is FACT.

Call Brian.
m/v Nepidae, Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 04:58 PM   #34
Guru

City: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLaNeve View Post
No. Teflon tape will prevent continuity thus defeating the purpose of the zinc.
Most of the time using teflon tape on a zinc plug won't affect its function. The tape
is so thin and weak that metal to metal contact will occur. I suppose if you used a lot
of wraps of really thick tape and didn't tighten it much there could be a problem though.
KnotYet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 05:19 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I don’t use anything on my heat exchanger anodes. Never had them leak yet...
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:03 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I don’t use anything on my heat exchanger anodes. Never had them leak yet...
Ditto
Old 06-22-2020, 10:16 PM   #37
Guru

City: Deltaville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post

I get the crusty stuff on my anodes as well. In my case I think it comes from river water at my marina being less salty than the ocean. I've decided to replace them more often, as I've had some break off as well even though only 'half worn'.
Indeed, zinc is not ideal for use in fresh water, when exposed to it it develops a coating, which causes the zinc to go dormant; it will not work when returned seawater. The coating can be cleaned off with a non-metallic brush of scotchbrite pad.

Zinc is not suited for fresh water, aluminum anodes work in salt, fresh and brackish, and I recommend them with the exception of heat exchanger pencil anodes, the aluminum anodes tend to swell slightly, making them difficult to remove from the heat exchanger. The erosion level in FW is pretty low, so OK to stay with zinc and just clean or replace when reentering seawater.

As noted by others, the anode is not effective once it electrically separates from the heat exchanger/plug.

Heat exchanger end caps should be removed and the internals cleaned every two years or so, zinc pencils tend to accumulate there, along with other debris. I've encountered heat exchangers where half the tubes were blocked by old anodes.

More on heat exchanger maintenance here https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/w...March-2012.pdf

(In Taiwan)
Old 06-22-2020, 10:29 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I use magnesium anodes in my heat exchangers since I have not found aluminum ones in the size I need. They also seem to swell up and it ends up with me having to take the heat exchanger end cap off to get them out.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 01:47 PM   #39
Veteran Member

City: Safety Harbor
Vessel Name: Yankee Peddler
Vessel Model: Grand Banks Eastbay
The useful life of anodes depends upon the electrical current present and the volume and pressure of the cooling water. Cat engines as an example run a lot of water thru the cooling system and use up zinks quickly and should be monitored often. The zink may look fine, but tap it with a light hammer and it may disintegrate leaving part of it in the cap which can be removed by imersing it in a container of murieatic acid for a limited time. If pieces are left inside the heat exchanger you may be able to suck them out with a shop vac.
Mike Negley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:48 PM   #40

City: Beaufort, SC
Vessel Name: TAMI II
Vessel Model: Tollycraft, 44 CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Negley View Post
The useful life of anodes depends upon the electrical current present and the volume and pressure of the cooling water. Cat engines as an example run a lot of water thru the cooling system and use up zinks quickly and should be monitored often. The zink may look fine, but tap it with a light hammer and it may disintegrate leaving part of it in the cap which can be removed by imersing it in a container of murieatic acid for a limited time. If pieces are left inside the heat exchanger you may be able to suck them out with a shop vac.
Mike, Thanks for verifying this for me. I find that if I don't change my Cat 3208 zincs every 4 months I'm taking something apart to look for a broken zinc. Even if they appear intact they get replaced at this point because as you point out, they are very fragile after this amount of time.
I can go 6 months or maybe a little longer but the headaches of a broken or stuck zinc get worse.
I've often wondered if simple water flow/pressure could could be a significant variable. Other than abrasion I'm not clear on the mechanism for this if it's not related to dissimilar metals. Seems that abrasion would affect only the outer shell of the zinc but these older but "intact" zincs seem rotten to the core. I'm guessing it's a combination of variables.
ORIF is offline   Reply With Quote