Haulout and propspeed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PropSpeed

I had propspeed applied last haulout, for the first time. The boat is definitely faster, about a knot+.
Having seen the disgusting barnacle mess on props, shafts, skegs, etc treated with hard a/f, I was prepared to propspeed the lot, but the yard told me it only works on bits that turn, so doing the support brackets was pointless, and the stuff is expensive, so I didn`t.
Judging from Baker and Marin`s posts fouling here is much greater than the other side of the Pacific. If I get 18months out of good quality a/f (Jotun Seaguardian), I`m happy.
The advice with propspeed is operate the boat minimum monthly and the barnacles just spin off.
I heard about a DIY propspeed, mixing silicone sealant into some solvent and painting it on. I`m staying with propspeed, but I get the idea.
The surface for propspeed has to be totally clean. We`d just replaced one shaft and had the prop reconditioned so only one side needed prep. My yard was happy to apply it, but I`ve heard of other good yards, like Fenwicks, at Brooklyn, getting someone in to do it.

This past April we cleaned and polished our props and shafts, then sprayed them with Rustoleum Cold Galvinizing Compound. Used 2 cans costing $7.99 each. My diver inspected them yesterday and said they are as clean as if I had used Propspeed. This is certainly not a long-term report but it is promising.

Howard

how often do you use the boat? Maybe a better way to ask is percentage wise what is the use vs. sitting at the dock?

I ask because some claim it doesnt last when useage is high, wears off faster I guess. Dunno.

Just antifouled Pioneer and had prop-speed professionally applied.
We've been using prop-speed for 11 years on this boat and on the two previous boats (Rivieras). I would never launch without it.

Anyway, after 30 months, the antifoul (Jotun Seaforce 30) was just about done - maybe could have got another 3 months at a stretch but the prop-speed was almost like new! Could easily have done another year. I used Hempels antifoul this time - best price.

Cost for the prop-speed (single 4 blade prop 30 x 28.5) with about a foot of shaft was $240 NZ or about $170 US. I did some of the prep. by removing all the clearcoat with a scraper. The applicator used an abrasive wheel on angle grinder to remove the colour coat.
In my experience, props with prop-speed never need cleaning.

Last edited:
I saw the Waveblade at the Seattle boat show last year and all it is is a vibrating scraper blade. About the same as a grout removal tool for like $20 at Home Depot, except it works underwater. I was not that impressed.

Its appealing in that you can use it underwater, and if it really does remove barnacles as the video shows then just one use would pay for it.

But, you know how that story usually ends. :D

Back
Top Bottom