Hauling and doing your own work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timjet

Guru
It seems their are less marinas and boat yards that allow the owner to do their own bottom work. I found a boat yard in Charlotte Harbor, FL that allowed me to do all the work I needed and even had a resident mechanic. They even allowed the boat yard help to do work for you if you arranged it with the office.

I pulled my boat out shortly after I purchased her and did a ton of work myself saving a bunch of money. I hired the resident mechanic to help out when things got too tough or I just didn't think I had the expertise.

I think these do it yourself type of boat yards are sadly disappearing and along with them boat owners that can't afford to hire everything out. The yard I use is 120 boat miles away and even with the cost of fuel, worth the trip.

I know where you went to do the work....but you probably could have accomplished the same at one of the yards on Salt Creek in St. Pete. I haven't done work there myself...but the sign says you can do your own.

My last haulout was done at Indiantown....on the St. Lucy River...quite a ways from where we are now...but we did the haulout on the trip from Daytona to St. Pete...

It definitely seems that there are fewer "DYI" yards nowadays.... One that is gone is the one that was in Ruskin....the marina was bought and condo's were built....and others don't want people doing bottom paint....because the EPA is a real PIA....

There are a number of similar yards in eastern North Carolina, and a large population of independent techs and craftsmen to help you out if needed. I have my boat out of the water at True World Marine in Beaufort, NC and am doing just that, using independent techs and DIY. Bock Marine just a mile or so up the ICW is another excellent DIY yard. Just to name two.

There are a number of similar yards in eastern North Carolina, and a large population of independent techs and craftsmen to help you out if needed. I have my boat out of the water at True World Marine in Beaufort, NC and am doing just that, using independent techs and DIY. Bock Marine just a mile or so up the ICW is another excellent DIY yard. Just to name two.

Fewer than you think. A few years ago when I got my Sea Ray, I wanted to sand, seal and put on my own bottom paint. One of the only places I could find was in Oriental NC, Trident boats. He was a blow boat hauler and was very happy to give me a spot in the yard and offer me advise.

I was told by other yards that the EPA forbid anyone but their own people to do bottom paint. Yeah right.

Here was my adventure:

300DB Restoration Continues-Bottom Paint

I am talking about right now, today, not a few years ago. So let me add Wayfarer's Cove in Minnesott Beach / Arapahoe to the list. The commercial yard on Radio Island whose name I am having a brain freeze on at the moment. Broadus Rose's yard in the Jarrett Bay complex as well as Trident there. Hurricane Boat Yard in Bayboro. Or should we start moving up to Roanoke Island?

Like other American bunisses, marinas are being held to ever higher and higher standards as far as polution and such is concerned. A marina can face big fines if (for example) bottom paint waste excapes into the water, the air, or surrounding properties.

In theory, at least, they can control their own employees. Let a boat owner cause a polution issue and the marina is held responsible. There are no good reasons for them to let owners do work (especially sanding and bottom painting), but lots of good reasons to prohibit it.

Don't blame the marina, blame your elected government representatives. They are the ones who sold you out for the environmental lobby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom