Old 05-27-2015, 01:11 AM   #61
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Back to the question of the economy of all that cleaning. On a trawler it could easily be debated. On a faster boat, the degradation one will see in performance and economy make it worthwhile to most.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 05:50 AM   #62
Guru

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
In South Florida it's definitely economic to clean quite frequently, although every two weeks is more than we've done. Usage of the boat does play into the need as well. Good regular cleanings can be done with very little impact on the paint. Most divers in South Florida are use to very frequent cleaning and the techniques to protect the paint. It sure does lengthen the time between painting versus a less frequent but more rigorous bottom cleaning.

I'm surprised to see similar recommendations for San Diego.
Agreed, BandB. Sherpa is in warm Florida waters (St. Petersburg) year-round and a monthly bottom cleaning is absolutely necessary. I use Petit Trinidad paint, which has held up well; but, barnacles will start to form on the bottom and running gear in less than a month when the water is at its warmest.

I prefer a clean bottom so my boat gets a monthly cleaning. From what I see in the yards, so many boaters in Florida neglect their bottoms. Only a few barnacles can adversely affect a boat's WOT.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:52 AM   #63
Guru

City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
It ain't rocket science- relatively frequent, gentle cleanings will help your anti fouling paint (regardless of type) last longer than less frequent, more abrasive cleanings. Here in the Bay Area, a 2-month cleaning frequency will buy you 3+ years of good performance from a quality paint. Compare that to 2 year paint longevity on a less frequent cleaning cycle and over 10 years of ownership, you've saved the cost of an entire haulout and paint job. Do the math. Even with increased hull cleaning costs you're still saving thousands of dollars. Not to mention increased performance and decreased fuel consumption between service events, because your bottom is cleaner more of the time.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:25 AM   #64
Guru

Not to be overlooked either is that it's not just the hull but all the running gear, plus all through hulls plus zinc's that need the attention.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:26 AM   #65
Guru

Wifey B: I believe in a clean bottom.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:27 AM   #66
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Going Back in the water!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432744051.541282.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	40544
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:42 AM   #67
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Going Back in the water!
I know that makes you happy.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:58 AM   #68
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
I know that makes you happy.
The man in the picture was even more happy!
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:36 PM   #69
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
We kept our boat in Carrabelle for about 5 years, I still live in the area and fish the area a lot, but our "big" boat lives in Stuart. I can tell you that the fouling in the Carrabelle/Apalach/Alligator Point area is really, really bad. In all seriousness it is likely the worst anywhere in the US. There is a reason that Apalachicola oysters are known all over the US, oysters, clams and Barnacles gorw like CRAZY here with all the nutrients and warm water.

My skiff with an unpainted bottom gets discernible barnacles about the size of a pin head on it in 24 hours. No joke.
Never heard of them, so I looked it up, yummy!

Furhter information [8]
Florida’s Gulf Coast oyster industry is based on the highly preferred American or Eastern oysters, also known by its scientific name Crassostrea virginica. This species is the principle oyster harvested commercially along both the Gulf of Mexico and the Eastern Seaboard and can be found from Canada to Campeche. Like all oysters, Apalachicola Bay oysters are mollusks; two shells or valves protect their soft bodies, so they are called bivalves. They are tolerant and hardy creatures, which can endure a myriad of environmental conditions.
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:18 PM   #70
Veteran Member

City: North fort Myers, fl
Vessel Name: Cara Mia
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 Rumrunner
Hello, I have my boat bottom done every three months. The diver just cleaned the boat it's a 34ft Mainship. I'm in SW Florida, the charge for cleaning was $80.00 he also check zincs they needed replacing, 2 shaft zincs were $45.00. I feel that it is worth doing, might have to have it more often in the summer haven't had this boat that long.

Roger
Cyn143srog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:38 PM   #71
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyn143srog View Post
Hello, I have my boat bottom done every three months. The diver just cleaned the boat it's a 34ft Mainship. I'm in SW Florida, the charge for cleaning was $80.00 he also check zincs they needed replacing, 2 shaft zincs were $45.00. I feel that it is worth doing, might have to have it more often in the summer haven't had this boat that long.
You should bear in mind that the $1.35/foot you paid is pretty much a rock bottom price. It just simply doesn't get much cheaper than that.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:53 PM   #72
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
You should bear in mind that the $1.35/foot you paid is pretty much a rock bottom price. It just simply doesn't get much cheaper than that.
$80/34 = $2.35/ft.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:00 PM   #73
Guru

Quote:
$80/34 = $2.35/ft.
D'oh!

However, it is still a cheap hull cleaning rate for a powerboat.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:11 PM   #74
Guru

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Great price, Roger. I only pay $2.00 a foot but I am not sure if that rate is because my boat is so small? I am very happy with the diver. I've checked his work and the hull looks good after a cleaning. Anyway, I find it a necessity to have the bottom cleaned every month here in Florida. I use quality bottom paint (Trinidad), but I would have small barnacles forming/scattered on the hull and running gear if I waited three months during the summer months.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:38 PM   #75
Guru

With hull cleaning, my biggest concerns are that a diver knows and understands the different bottom paints and knows what to do and what not to do, using all the right supplies to do so.

As to three months between cleanings, oh do I wish that was possible here. we go monthly and during the hottest summer months sometimes a little more frequently.

I would encourage everyone to rig a camera somehow on a rod or stick or something to regularly check your hull. That is, unless you dive regularly yourself to do so. It's pretty easy with today's underwater cameras.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:00 PM   #76

City: LAFAYETTE,LA
Vessel Name: Relenti
Vessel Model: Atlantic 30, 1983
Here in my marina you have to do everything by feel-zero visibility. That being said, haul out every two years is the norm. Lots of fresh water in the bay, barnacles not to aggressive.
ddalme is offline   Reply With Quote