Old 05-22-2015, 10:12 AM   #21
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
I've been hauled out the past 2 weeks as well. Splashing in the next half hour.

Anxious Papa!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432307392.085812.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	40381

Home for 2 weeks!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1432307424.693579.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	40382

I hate the hard! Noisy dusty, dirty!

Power washers to the left of me,
Grinders to the right,
and I'm stuck in the middle....

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:18 AM   #22
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Stuck in the middle again?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:41 AM   #23
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
I've been hauled out the past 2 weeks as well. Splashing in the next half hour.

I hate the hard! Noisy dusty, dirty!
But Captain, she's beautiful. There is something about the lines to a KK42 that sits well. I like the Pilgrim 40's too. They remind me of a miniaturized version of the yachts of old that were my playground when a Kidlet.

Old wooden wet bilges, stringers to "tightrope walk" down, and plenty of fun for a kid. Plus sailboats had masts and those were fun to climb, and more fun to jump off of.

Life on the water is good. I'm glad you'll be back where you belong soon. Have fun!
Old 05-22-2015, 12:04 PM   #24

I think Mbevins nailed it - no percentage.

Next thing you know, they will be banning boats in the marina for fear of someone falling in and drowning - damn lawyers!
Delta_JimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:57 PM   #25
Guru

City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
Possible liability issues concerning electrocution from stray electric current in the marina.
Not likely. Electric Shock Drownings (ESD) are almost unheard of in saltwater. If a marina chooses not to allow in-water hull cleaning, it is frequently due to some concern over divers contributing to copper-loading in that particular body of water. Ignorant, misguided concern, but there you have it.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:12 AM   #26
Guru

City: Vermont
There are places like Mass where you can't do in-water hull cleaning at all. The boat has to be hauled. I heard the same is true in lake Union and Washington in Seattle. Don't know about out in the sound and other salt water bodies.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:15 AM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
There are places like Mass where you can't do in-water hull cleaning at all. The boat has to be hauled. I heard the same is true in lake Union and Washington in Seattle. Don't know about out in the sound and other salt water bodies.
No offense, but none that is true, either in Massachusetts or Washington.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:23 AM   #28
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
WHAT!!!! An urban myth on the internet???
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:25 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
No offense, but none that is true, either in Massachusetts or Washington.
Interesting, and no offense taken. What's your source? In Mass, I was told this by a diver who I asked about cleaning my bottom. He said there was a big fine for doing it now. An in lake union (actually Salmon Bay), I just helped a marina-owner friend disassemble a contraption previousely used for hull cleaning because they aren't allowed to do it any more.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:02 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Interesting, and no offense taken. What's your source? In Mass, I was told this by a diver who I asked about cleaning my bottom. He said there was a big fine for doing it now. An in lake union (actually Salmon Bay), I just helped a marina-owner friend disassemble a contraption previousely used for hull cleaning because they aren't allowed to do it any more.
As I mentioned previously, individual marinas (supposedly) can restrict maintenance activities like in-water hull cleaning if they so choose. However, there are no statewide bans on hull cleaning anywhere in this country. In Washington, the state has limited hull cleaning to hard paints only. No ablatives can be cleaned in the water in that state. In Massachussetts, the "Clean Marina Guide" does indicate that as a Best Management Practice, in-water hull cleaning should not occur, but this is strictly a voluntary measure and does not carry the weight of law. There are any number of dive services advertising hull cleaning up and down the Massachussetts coast.

Massachusetts Clean Marina Guide

Hull Cleaning and Boat Washing | Clean Green Boating | Washington State Department of Ecology
Old 05-24-2015, 10:55 AM   #31
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
As I mentioned previously, individual marinas (supposedly) can restrict maintenance activities like in-water hull cleaning if they so choose. However, there are no statewide bans on hull cleaning anywhere in this country. In Washington, the state has limited hull cleaning to hard paints only. No ablatives can be cleaned in the water in that state. In Massachussetts, the "Clean Marina Guide" does indicate that as a Best Management Practice, in-water hull cleaning should not occur, but this is strictly a voluntary measure and does not carry the weight of law. There are any number of dive services advertising hull cleaning up and down the Massachussetts coast.

Hull Cleaning and Boat Washing | Clean Green Boating | Washington State Department of Ecology
fst - What do you see coming regarding Nor Cal regulations?
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:07 AM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
fst - What do you see coming regarding Nor Cal regulations?
San Francisco Bay gets special consideration regarding many pollutants and their acceptable levels because of the historic industrial use of that body of water. That said, the state and regional water quality policy makers are moving (albeit very slowly) to reduce copper loading in Callifornia's waterways and at any given time could decide to paint the entire state with one brush. What we hope doesn't happen is a moratorium (or outright ban) on in-water hull cleaning. My interactions with these people would indicate that that is probably not likely to happen however. The current trend seems to be lowering the copper leach rates (and therefore, effectiveness) of anti fouling paints. As a Northern California boat owner what I would expect you to see are reformulated anti fouling paints, not any actual regulations regarding in-water hull cleaning, at least in the near term.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:41 AM   #33
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
... The current trend seems to be lowering the copper release rates (and therefore, effectiveness) of anti fouling paints. As a Northern California boat owner what I would expect you to see are reformulated anti fouling paints, not any actual regulations regarding in-water hull cleaning, at least in the near term.
Sounds like more opportunities for divers.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:52 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Sounds like more opportunities for divers.
Any diver who claims he's in favor of less effective anti fouling paints is an idiot. Nobody wants their job made harder. And I can tell you that boat owners (most of whom do not clean frequently enough now) are unlikely to alter their current hull cleaning frequency regardless of what product is on their bottoms.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:53 AM   #35
Master and Commander

How much does it cost to have a diver inspect/clean a boat's bottom assuming only minor biological growths?

My Pt. Richmond boatyard charges $12 a foot for haul-out, power wash, and launch and $93 an hour for any bottom work (such as replacing zincs).
Old 05-24-2015, 11:56 AM   #36
Guru

Quote:
How much does it cost to have a diver inspect/clean a boat's bottom assuming only minor biological growths?

My Pt. Richmond boatyard charges $12 a foot for haul-out, power wash, and launch and $93 an hour for any bottom work (such as replacing zincs).
For a powerboat, typically expect to pay about $3.00/foot for hull cleaning and $10/each to replace anodes. So for the privilege of looking at your boat bottom, you are paying $9/foot, plus the several hours of back and forth travel (and fuel costs) from Vallejo to Point Richmond.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:29 PM   #37
Master and Commander

Taking the 3-to-4-hour voyage between home berth and boatyard is a good excuse to operate the boat more often. (Most boaters hardly use their boats enough, and operating the boat helps reduce bottom-growth build-up.) My annual trips are necessary for accumulated maintenance and repair needs, and a haul-out is necessary every other year for bottom repainting (Micron Extra). An extra haul-out on alternate years has minimal cost impact. Am thinking of a six-month underwater cleaning in the second year when the bottom paint has lost some effectiveness.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:13 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Taking the 3-to-4-hour voyage between home berth and boatyard is a good excuse to operate the boat more often. (Most boaters hardly use their boats enough, and operating the boat helps reduce bottom-growth build-up.)
If you like hauling every year, more power to you. It's your boat and your dime.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:34 PM   #39
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Here in Carrabelle a couple weeks ago it took a diver two hours to do my bottom. He reported paint was good for at least another year. Waterline was just starting to get (smaller than .25") barnacles -- maybe a foot long stretch near the transom and some grass for the top six inches here and there.

I have four zincs. One was replaced. The shaft zincs were deemed okay and port strut too was "okay" -- he'll bring a hacksaw next year as it couldn't come off. Otherwise okay. Starboard strut zinc replaced.

Two hours. $65 per.
23' boat. So essentially $5 a foot.

I have a lot of metal and heard concentrated scraping on that. She was painted in 2012 and last year just prior to launch (trucked from Steinhatchee) I used my last quart (don't be jealous now!) to do the first foot around the waterline.

When I paint the first two quarts cover the hull and then I do another coat around the waterline as a matter of habit. It seems to help. Or it appears so.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:40 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:

That's very interesting, and a good reminder to check the facts before believing some guy on the dock. But I would have expected a diver to know since it's kind of his business to know. I suppose there might be local regs at play too. I'll have to check.....