Ground wire fault

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sunnybank

Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Mainship/Pilot II 30
Our Mainship Pilot II isolator is giving a “ground wire” fail when hooked to shore power. We’ve checked the ground wires throughout the boat, but all seem to be secure. Any ideas?

Does it happen with different shore power outlets, different marinas? Our galvanic isolator test circuit (replaced last year for an isolator without the test circuit, due to problems with GFCI shore power) had shown a ground wire fault a couple times. One time they opened up the shore power pedestal and found a loose ground wire. I think maybe your boat is fine and the problem is with the pedestal. After replacing the isolator I bought a tester that you plug into the power pedestal to test for problems. I use it before plugging my cord in. Not all shore power outlets are trustworthy, believe me.

I suspect it is an open ground fault meaning an open connection somewhere. It could be your boat, but it just as easily be the marina's power supply. There is a fairly low cost way to find out:

Get a 30A to 15A 120V adapter and a simple 120V 15A plug in tester. Should be able to get both for less than $30 total. Unfortunately the marine 30A twist lock adapter is at least 4 times as expensive as an RV 30A spade adapter.

Then plug in both to the shore power pedestal. If ok then work your way downstream to the end of your shore power cord where it plugs into the boat and finally to various outlets on the boat.

David

Back
Top Bottom