Good Canvas Work by Long Distance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kthoennes

Guru
Vessel Name
Xanadu
Vessel Make
Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Our bimini top, the main roof over the helm, is shot. Seams ripping, threadbare, so worn out that rain leaks through even after a waterproofing treatment because the fabric is turning to swiss cheese. Might be original to the boat in 1996. Need a new one, but -- anybody have a recommendation for a good canvas shop willing to make a new top long distance, without having the boat itself on hand? We have three boat canvas businesses within 100 miles and we've used all three. The work has been -- well, not great and I'm not talking about the fit necessarily because I understand it's very hard to get a nice tight fit without having the boat itself on hand. I understand, it's like tailoring a suit without having access to the actual person for fittings. I'm talking about the work, the sewing, the finish, the anchoring of the zippers, laying the zippers straight, etc.

I did a search on the forum for threads recommending canvas shops, but none that I found talked about shops willing to do new work without the boat on hand. A couple years ago we used J&S Marine in Baldwinsville New York to replace the windows in a couple side panels and they did an excellent job. We were told they did a lot of Mainship work in the past and we were very happy, we just shipped the pieces back and forth to New York. This time though, they said it would be "impossible" to make a new top or any other new pieces without having the boat on hand, even if we shipped them the entire old one as a pattern. I don't even care about color matching all that much, since you can't see the top anyway, unless you're 20 feet in the air. Anybody know of a good canvas shop willing to make a new top without having the boat on hand for the fitting? Thanks very much.

The trimmer we last used had his a canvas workshop set up in a small truck. He effectively worked and sewed onsite, next to the boat. When we needed a small repair we went to his truck parked near his house. I think, to do it properly,they need the boat on hand. But with your experiences I hope you find someone distant and good.

There are a couple of shops that made canvas for the boat manufacturers that make replacement canvas. I think one is part of Taylor Industries and the other one may be Great Lakes Canvas, or something like that. They may be able to help. Maybe go to Ship Shape TVs web site since I saw the advertising on that show.

Making tops w/o the boat is a tall order and most shops would not consider it even with the old top as a pattern.
That said - You might try Gioia Sails in NJ and FL.
They did a lot of soft goods work for Mainship and might have patterns.
I have purchased material from them and have seen their work and was impressed with it.
It will help if you are able / willing to install fasteners. If you go that route and dont have a good snap tool invest the $ to do it right and quicker.

Thanks very much for the replies everyone. At Don's/Bacchus' suggestion I called Gioia Sails (FL location) and they're willing to do it if we send them the old one. Thank you all for taking the time to reply. Sure appreciate the help. Karl

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom