GB 32 woodie dry rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ron McDonough

Vessel Name
GloBird
Vessel Make
GB 32
My 1969 GB is a joy to have EXCEPT for the condition of the coach house above the windows where the plywood has extensive dry rot. I’ve patched many times and painted even more. Has anyone replaced the side panels and or front panels. I might attempt front panels myself if I get some encouragement.

Would appreciate your ideas.

Not a GB owner, but owned wood boats most of my life. Also union shipwright, worked in yards and owned a yard. I live and cruise on an 83' wood boat.

To stop the rot, it has to be dry, fix any leaks from above. Then you cut out the panel where there's rot or remove the whole panel. Sometimes it's easier to do the whole panel. Besides, the structure behind the panel will probably need some replacing. It also gives you a chance to upgrade your wiring, add insulation.

If you don't replace all the rot, and it gets wet, the rot will spread into new wood. There's something different with plywood today, compared to the plywood of many years ago. It rots much easier. Now I seal any plywood after the final cuts are made, but before I install. I seal both sides and all edges.
There are utility tools that make cutouts easier. They make 5 1/2" and smaller circular saws, easier to cut a line on an existing panel. Also utility tools that have various cutters for small spaces or next to an edge. Having the right tool can save many hours. What's your time worth?

Lepke

Thanks for the info. What do you seal the edges with. Would a coat of resin be useful?
Ron

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom