Old 09-24-2019, 03:10 PM   #1

City: San francisco
Vessel Name: Pacific Star
Vessel Model: 1990 Grand Banks 32 #834
GB 32 Window Replacement?

Dear TF members,
I have also posted this question on the Grand Banks Owners Forum, but since there is a LOT more traffic on TF, I hope it is ok to post it here too...

I have a 1990 GB 32 with aluminum exterior window frames all around. Most of the side windows slide in channels, but the 3 big front windshield panels are fixed. The port-side front window got cracked over the weekend and needs replacing.

So, does anybody have experience with this particular setup? Does the exterior window frame need to be removed in order to remove the glass? If so do you know how it is attached and how to remove it?

Thanks for any advice/help

Oldersalt
Oldersalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:16 PM   #2
Guru

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
The link below is to a current string regarding removal and replacement of side windows in aluminum frames. On our OA, the windshield glass is also glued into the frames, just as the for the side windows...exactly the same general frame construction, but without the additional track for the sliders. I suspect your aluminum frames are similar if not identical.

As I mention in the attached string, you can buy a wood carving knife kit at Harbor Freight that includes a couple of long thin flexible razor type blades. Those blades are fragile, so you have be careful not to snap them off. The kit is $15. Going slowly, I expect you could cut the bonding on a windshield pane in an hour or so. Or you could hire a glass shop...$80/hour in the mid-west.

I would not attempt to remove the aluminum frame from the boat structure unless there's a rot problem, and even then I'd try to find a way to reseal them.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...mes-46470.html
Rufus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:21 PM   #3
Guru

Aluminum Window Frame Removal - International Association of Grand Banks Owners

I understand that the raised part of the aluminum frame can be removed by prying it with a flathead screwdriver to expose screws.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:05 AM   #4

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Rose Mary
Vessel Model: 42 Grand Banks Motoryacht - 1985
Make sure you properly measure that window - it does not have 90-degree corners (even though some of them look like they might be).

There is no need to remove the aluminum to replace the glass.
Looking from the outside, there's a black rubber piece pushed into a channel in front of the edge of the glass. The rubber is one piece, you'll see a seam on the top of the window. Pry up one of these edges with a flathead screwdriver and pull the entire rubber trim piece off. Behind the rubber, you'll see that the window is siliconed to the aluminum. From the outside, cut the silicone around the outside of the glass with a utility knife.

Then from the inside, cut the silicone between the glass and the aluminum. It can be difficult to squeeze a knife between there. To manage this you can push really hard to start the cut, then hammer a scraper in there between the glass and the aluminum. This will make a little space for you to drag a knife. You can move the scraper around to make more space as you go. A sturdy kitchen knife works well for this.

Good luck!
Westiculo is offline   Reply With Quote