Galley Drop Leaf Locking Hinges

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Doug

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Endeavor
Vessel Make
2003 Nordic Tug 37
I need some help identifying the manufacturer of this hardware. The hinge pins are severely worn and the hardware is flaking rust. IMG_1716.jpgIMG_1715.jpg
Any help is appreciated.
Restoration is not possible from a practical standpoint.
Thanks

Have you thought about having it plated? Not sure if this type of metal can be plated, but I would find out.

I think of these as typical RV type hardware. They are inexpensive and made of mild steel. If you want to stick with them you could perhaps try to treat a new pair in a way to slow down the deterioration. Or switch to something more marine tolerant.

Here is the first seller I ran across on an image search, but I don't think they are uncommon.

https://www.hardwaretree.com/prodde...MIicuJwdeB6QIVAqvsCh22Ew87EAQYByABEgLx_fD_BwE

If you click "enlarge" on their image it brings up dimensions.

table_leaf_support_dls12hershlarg.jpg

Not sure if this would work for you but fairly simple. Two wood ‘knees’ on short vertical hinges which fold out to support a hinged leaf. Example is our fly bridge table.

Attachments

• 6A2B336F-5C2C-4E70-9773-5D9F89A17F9A.jpeg
    6A2B336F-5C2C-4E70-9773-5D9F89A17F9A.jpeg
    40.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 1A83F0F2-21D1-4516-9F39-1DC8FCA78DE8.jpeg
    1A83F0F2-21D1-4516-9F39-1DC8FCA78DE8.jpeg
    61 KB · Views: 29
  • 7BA8D7A7-BE89-43C1-8022-F55593EA3B94.jpeg
    7BA8D7A7-BE89-43C1-8022-F55593EA3B94.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 31
Not sure if this would work for you but fairly simple. Two wood ‘knees’ on short vertical hinges which fold out to support a hinged leaf. Example is our fly bridge table.

Saw the same hardware Frosty mentioned and the wing supports are my next choice. Thanks for the help; a solution is in sight.

Or take them off, have them stripped/bead blasted, Por-15 and then paint them.

I just got finished using POR 15 for the first time on my RV batty compartment & tray. I'm impressed with it and would recommend it for any anti - corrosion situation. Only limitation is it doesn't stand up well to UV but can simply be top coated. Many very positive recommendations. Worth a look

I just got finished using POR 15 for the first time on my RV batty compartment & tray. I'm impressed with it and would recommend it for any anti - corrosion situation. Only limitation is it doesn't stand up well to UV but can simply be top coated. Many very positive recommendations. Worth a look
POR15 is really good and by far the best anti rust paint I have ever seen. Only thing to be careful about, if you open a can, use it till the last drop or be sure there is none on the lid as you may not be able to reopen it. When dry it is hard like a rock and it is impossible to remove the lid without destroying it.
Now I am buying set of small can that make a pint (5 can in the set if I remember well) so I just use what I need.

If I am right they have one product UV resistant or a coating UV protection, check their web site.

We used POR15 pn the engine mounts this winter. Don’t know yet how it will hold up. But it does look much better than the rusty mounts looked.

I need some help identifying the manufacturer of this hardware. The hinge pins are severely worn and the hardware is flaking rust.

I had exactly the same hinge. It wore and corroded to the point it was not reliable. After the admiral had her dinner land in her lap I bought a pair of these:

Alise Stainless Steel Folding Shelf Bracket Heavy Duty 8-Inch Brackets Support Wall Hangin... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G6MN383/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_tai_rt7OEb...

I made 2 wooden blocks for the short arm of the bracket. They are now the strongest part of the table!

IMG_8236.jpg

I had exactly the same hinge. It wore and corroded to the point it was not reliable. After the admiral had her dinner land in her lap I bought a pair of these:

Alise Stainless Steel Folding Shelf Bracket Heavy Duty 8-Inch Brackets Support Wall Hangin... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G6MN383/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_tai_rt7OEb...

I made 2 wooden blocks for the short arm of the bracket. They are now the strongest part of the table!

View attachment 101851

Thanks for the info, This solution looks great.

IMG_1719.jpgIMG_1718.jpg

Finished product. Made shelf brackets out of poplar, stained and poly. 6” stainless piano hinges to the table base and fabricated wedges with a stop to prevent over travel. Thanks all for suggestions.

That's really nice. I particularly like the wedge with a stop. That really makes it (I've had supports like that on previous boats but without that feature).

Can I ask how you made the wedge/stops?

Using scrap 3/4” poplar, routed a 3” wide channel across the board to 1/2” thick. I started the channel 1” from the end of the board to create the stop. Sanded the 1/2” end to a ramp slope and final dimension to catch the bracket.

Great little project to practice with a router if you dont have access to a band saw.
If you want to cheat you could glue them up from 2 pcs

Back
Top Bottom