The Future Of In-water Hull Cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
$1700...
Interesting tool.

Interesting, think I'll wait for the price to drop.

Ted

It looks great for getting off soft bottom growth, but how about barnacles. Where we lived in NC, I had a diver do the bottom every other month. In the spring, he would have to scrape to get the barnacles off that grew very fast once the water temp got warm enough.

I have done it myself and a wide, dry wall compound knife or better a windshield ice scraper, can cover a wide swath with each stroke and get the barnacles off. Will this machine do that?

David

It looks great for getting off soft bottom growth, but how about barnacles. Where we lived in NC, I had a diver do the bottom every other month. In the spring, he would have to scrape to get the barnacles off that grew very fast once the water temp got warm enough.

I have done it myself and a wide, dry wall compound knife or better a windshield ice scraper, can cover a wide swath with each stroke and get the barnacles off. Will this machine do that?

The Remora is not designed to remove hard, 3-dimensional fouling growth. Pretty much any fouling that you would need to use a scraper to remove when cleaning by hand, you will still need to scrape off when using the Remora.

That said, I do not understand why boat owners in your region allow that kind of hard growth to occur. if you (or anybody) regularly need to use a scraper to clean your boat, you are not cleaning it frequently enough.

Really?

So that blue hazy stuff in the water around the tool where it's going over already cleaned areas is not bottom paint?

No. The paint is Pettit Trinidad which is a hard paint. It does not plume off the hull like an ablative. What you are seeing is the slime being ejected from the brush.

Looks nice....would love one with about a 3 foot diameter....:D

Getting lazy in my old age...:socool:

Might require another weight belt though with that much surface contact!:eek:

With modern ablative coatings simply moving the boat often enough does just fine

$1700 is a lot of diesel for moving the vessel.

With modern ablative coatings simply moving the boat often enough does just fine.

Ablative paints need cleaning every bit as often as any other type. At least here in California.

Looks nice....would love one with about a 3 foot diameter....:D

Getting lazy in my old age...:socool:

Might require another weight belt though with that much surface contact!:eek:

Less weight more bouyancy is the key to hugging the bottom of a boat. :D

Less weight more bouyancy is the key to hugging the bottom of a boat. :D
True, but mass is the secret to making the tool spin instead of you....:thumb:

As a former helo pilot, I get real scared of spinning out of control....:eek:

Isn't it illegal to clean the bottom that is painted with ablative paint? I use my deck brush to clean the scum line in the winter when the boat is used less and there is clearly a blue cloud. Regular use keeps the bottom clean otherwise.

It's not legal here in our Washington marina. That sort of work is OK at the haul out washing station, where the wash material goes into a drum. Part of the cleaning fee.

Yup. In water cleaning of hard paint is fine here, but not ablative.

Doesn't seem to be an issue in Maryland or Florida.......yet.

Ted

Hmmm. Not sure if I'd by one for my boat, but it could be useful for that bothersome morning itch.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom