Old 07-05-2015, 08:08 AM   #121

City: miramichi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
I have a 250 gallon aluminum tank on the bed of my F550. No baffles. The rear axle is rated to carry 17,500 lbs but I can feel the diesel sloshing around in there if its half full. I would not want a tank of any decent size on a boat that was not baffled. Free surface affect and all
The welds on aluminum tanks are prone to leak when the tanks are filled with diesel fuel.

I know of a few boats where the tank let go. I think the modern plastic tanks are the way to go.

Very Best Robin
robinhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 04:47 PM   #122
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
Have not seen that. 5000 series aluminum (tank material) usually stress cracks in a bend, but I specify all welded corners. NEVER had a problem. Cant get plastic tanks big enough for me. No baffles, chaffe, etc. But if lots of little tanks can work for you, great.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:30 AM   #123
FF
Guru

"But if lots of little tanks can work for you, great."

The few passagemakers that actually transit oceans might need huge tanks to get range, but 99% of cruisers are bothered by watered fuel more than fuel,volume.

Multiple tanks allow only one or two tanks to be operational, with the rest clean & ready for the big cruise..

The exception is winter live aboards where 2 -6 gallons per day . for ay least 100 -120 days may be desired for easiest living.

Dragging 5 gal jugs of diesel down the dock a few times a week is a PIA!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:35 AM   #124
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"But if lots of little tanks can work for you, great."

The few passagemakers that actually transit oceans might need huge tanks to get range, but 99% of cruisers are bothered by watered fuel more than fuel,volume.

Multiple tanks allow only one or two tanks to be operational, with the rest clean & ready for the big cruise..

The exception is winter live aboards where 2 -6 gallons per day . for ay least 100 -120 days may be desired for easiest living.

Dragging 5 gal jugs of diesel down the dock a few times a week is a PIA!
That’s one reason they make:

Roughneck Poly Gas Caddy — 25-Gal. Capacity

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200623784_200623784?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Fuel%20Transf er%20%2B%20Lubrication%20%3E%20Fuel%20Caddies&utm_campaign=Roughneck&utm_content=40549 &ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=40549&gclid=CKK8h6zBxsYCFY 17fgodLg8N4g

And/Or

Flo n' Go Duramax Fuel Caddy —14-Gallon Capacity, Model# 06792

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200325161_200325161?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Fuel%20Transf er%20%2B%20Lubrication%20%3E%20Fuel%20Caddies&utm_ campaign=Flo%20n%2C%20go&utm_content=33631&ci_src= 17588969&ci_sku=33631&gclid=CJbp0a_CxsYCFQqDfgoduG wBWg

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:18 AM   #125
FF
Guru

"Sturdy Roughneck® Poly Gas Caddy is a gravity-fed fuel tank"

Lifting a 25 gal tank aboard to fill my gravity fuel tank would be far more effort than I usually prefer to spend.

I hated staggering thru the ice & snow with just 2 - 5 gal tanks.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:14 AM   #126
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Sturdy Roughneck® Poly Gas Caddy is a gravity-fed fuel tank"

Lifting a 25 gal tank aboard to fill my gravity fuel tank would be far more effort than I usually prefer to spend.

I hated staggering thru the ice & snow with just 2 - 5 gal tanks.
Couldn't the hose to nozzle be extended? Also, the second listed in my post #124 is only 14 gals. Wheeling down dock should be fairly easy. Deep snow would be a no-go!

I've never used them... this is just a suggestion.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:27 AM   #127
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Here in Aus, and in all marinas as far as I am aware, refuelling on the dock is strictly verboten. Mainly a concern re spillage rather than fire risk I suspect. Knowing how fussy the US generally is re pollution from fuel spills etc, I'm surprised it is not similarly banned.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:18 AM   #128
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Here in Aus, and in all marinas as far as I am aware, refuelling on the dock is strictly verboten. Mainly a concern re spillage rather than fire risk I suspect. Knowing how fussy the US generally is re pollution from fuel spills etc, I'm surprised it is not similarly banned.
Basically it is. Some docks are relatively loose on the restriction... especially small docks as well as those with too many vacant slips. Well after dark or just before dawn can work-out pretty easily!
Old 07-07-2015, 10:13 AM   #129
Guru

City: Marathon, Florida
Vessel Name: Walkabout
Vessel Model: 1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Basically it is. Some docks are relatively loose on the restriction... especially small docks as well as those with too many vacant slips. Well after dark or just before dawn can work-out pretty easily!
I think that might depend where you are. I have never seen that in any marina rules I have read and it is done everyday. California or northeast coast have a lot more regulations than the rest of the country. I bet 9 out of 10 boats in this harbor have fuel cans sitting on deck and most all of them came down the dock. Lots of marinas that I have been to do not have fuel docks, so carring jugs is the way most people do it.

www.mikeandsharondunsworth.blogspot.com
READY2GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:09 PM   #130
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by READY2GO View Post
I think that might depend where you are. I have never seen that in any marina rules I have read and it is done everyday. California or northeast coast have a lot more regulations than the rest of the country. I bet 9 out of 10 boats in this harbor have fuel cans sitting on deck and most all of them came down the dock. Lots of marinas that I have been to do not have fuel docks, so carring jugs is the way most people do it.
Every marina I know in Nor Cal has a NO resident-dock-side fueling regulation in the agreements and spoken word. Again, as I mentioned, some are strict... others not so much. Having it in writing plays into law suit crap should the dock-side fueling create an issue.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:38 AM   #131
FF
Guru

"Couldn't the hose to nozzle be extended?"

Sure but a pump and power source would be required to get the fuel on board.

Living aboard for almost 23 years in NYC area , ALL the marinas had no owner fueling rules ,,, all spring summer & fall..

When the hard winter comes , the very few boats occupied had no problems.

The work of breaking enough nice to get to a fuel pump and rousing the marina to activate the system was never done.