Old 11-29-2019, 03:54 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Vessel Name: Sanderling
Vessel Model: DeFever 41
Our tanks had to be cut up to extricate them since the boat was apparently built around them! I had each single tank replace with two heavy-duty aluminum tanks with 2" between each tank - lost only 10 gallons from the original capacity on each side. Also added double-crimped USCG passenger vessel approved fittings on all the new lines.

Sanderling is for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant View Post
The previous owner of my boat broke out the old cast iron tanks and replaced with aluminum tanks that fit through the main cabin door so replacing them if required, will be quite simple.

BobMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 07:20 AM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Ottawa, ON
Vessel Name: GYPSY
Vessel Model: MARINER 37 PH SEVILLE
Fuel tank change

Hi: here is the short answer to a very expensive project: Our 35 ft boat has twin engines that could not be moved to gain any amount of extra space. Up here in eastern Canada we do not have the qualified boat yards to tackle this job so had it done in Upper New York State. Had a new (only one) stainless steel tank made in Canada due to lower cost. Built by a company that makes them for the trucking industry.
The US boat yard cut a huge hole in the hull and dropped the old tank out the bottom. Gave me a chance to see a side of the diesel i had never seen before. Cleaned and repainted everything.
New tank installed and boat resealed better than new. Cost $10,000 US$.
Next time i will cut out the old tank and replace with 2-3 tanks joined together. Less painful me thinks.

Barrie

Barrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:00 AM   #23
FF
Guru

"Next time i will cut out the old tank and replace with 2-3 tanks joined together. Less painful me thinks."

A good choice might be multiple plastic tanks.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 03:44 PM   #24

City: Tasmania
Vessel Model: Sea Ranger 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTAHUG View Post
Hi: here is the short answer to a very expensive project: Our 35 ft boat has twin engines that could not be moved to gain any amount of extra space. Up here in eastern Canada we do not have the qualified boat yards to tackle this job so had it done in Upper New York State. Had a new (only one) stainless steel tank made in Canada due to lower cost. Built by a company that makes them for the trucking industry.
The US boat yard cut a huge hole in the hull and dropped the old tank out the bottom. Gave me a chance to see a side of the diesel i had never seen before. Cleaned and repainted everything.
New tank installed and boat resealed better than new. Cost $10,000 US$.
Next time i will cut out the old tank and replace with 2-3 tanks joined together. Less painful me thinks.

Barrie
Sounds brutal Barrie! I’ve heard of holes being cut in the topsides, between the waterline and gunwhale, to remove side mounted tanks, but going down through the bottom sounds extreme.
Southern Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:08 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
We replaced both port and starboard iron fuel tanks on Sanderling in 2015. Had a well-respected yard do the work and in the process reworked a lot of the engine room. Had a single so just put the engine in the saloon. In 2005 we had the tanks on a smaller trawler with twins replaced and the engines sat outside the boat on engine stands during the work

You can read about our replacement at out web site:
Replacing Fuel Tanks - MVSanderling.netMVSanderling.net

Sanderling is for sale!
Hi Bob, I’ve just read through your very detailed tank replacement story from your blog, and really appreciated the extensively documented article.
Top marks for your efforts, and good luck with the sale
Old 12-02-2019, 01:36 PM   #26
Guru

City: sydney
Vessel Name: Aquabelle
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Flushdeck
Going thru the bottom is not so unusual and in fact that's my plan when the time comes (not too far away I suspect ). Much faster and therefore much cheaper for both removing the old intact (making templates unnecessary....just send old to the fabricator as is) and installing new. New tank kept out of way in engine room while 'glass guys follow a naval architect's laminating schedule to maintain hull integrity when making good. Having a walk in engine room helps. I'll go plastic rather than steel or aluminium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Boater View Post
Sounds brutal Barrie! I’ve heard of holes being cut in the topsides, between the waterline and gunwhale, to remove side mounted tanks, but going down through the bottom sounds extreme.
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:59 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabelle View Post
Going thru the bottom is not so unusual and in fact that's my plan when the time comes (not too far away I suspect ). Much faster and therefore much cheaper for both removing the old intact (making templates unnecessary....just send old to the fabricator as is) and installing new. New tank kept out of way in engine room while 'glass guys follow a naval architect's laminating schedule to maintain hull integrity when making good. Having a walk in engine room helps. I'll go plastic rather than steel or aluminium.
Interesting AB, everyday is a school day, as they say. I'd only heard of the topside extraction recently from a Bobbin Head (Sydney) yard involving a couple of Kong Halvorsen renovations.
Yes the plastic option does sound a very permanent and practical solution.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:58 PM   #28
Guru

City: sydney
Vessel Name: Aquabelle
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Flushdeck
I kept our boat at Bobbin Head some years back. In my time there, I saw the yard guys cut one side out of a beautiful 55' Halvorsen to remove both saddle tanks. This Halvo had "plank-look" fibreglass sides and all the dock experts--myself included--thought it would be impossible to close up the hull again and maintain this look. We had to eat our words....the owner challenged those who didn't know to pick which side had been cut open and no-one ever did, even when she was hauled out. Mind you, the shipwright in charge at the time was an exceptionally skilled guy: you wouldn't want to trust an operation like that to just anyone. Same with going through the bottom....needs serious skills but if you can find a quality yard that will follow an engineered laminating schedule, it can be a highly cost-effective solution. The boat has to suit too....unnecessary in smaller vessels where engine extraction is no big deal and doesn't require major demolition of super-nice interior joinery and furnishings, etc etc..
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:43 PM   #29

It’s always about the skill level.
We recently surveyed a KH 50 at Empire Marina which had the saddle tanks extracted through the sides, 1.6 x 1.2 metre holes cut and new alloy tanks fitted and whole boat resprayed. While the repair appeared good, the 2006 paint job was average. The tank fabricator didn’t even fit inspection plates on brand new tanks?
Anyway the boat failed survey on many issues, which was a shame because she would have suited us well.