Fuel tank access

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Durant F

Guru
Vessel Name
Emma B
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 32/34
Has anyone successfully added an access port to their diesel tank?
Not looking fir opinions, I’ve got those :)
Looking for someone who has done it and it works.
I’ve just repowered a 50yr old project boat and would love to clean out the tank.

I've done it on 1963 Willard motorsailer. Black iron tanks, top is under cabin sole that was completely removed. Top of tank 40" x 96", 16" baffles. Drilled, installed clean outs after cleaning by hand. Has bottom drain so got out all we could that way, then rags from the new access holes for the rest. Exterior wire brush, rust converter and paint, drill 6 4" holes, clean, install purchased access ports.

Some smelly, full days, not staying on the boat those nights.

https://fueltankparts.com/collectio...8od-x-6id-bolt-in-tank-clean-out-access-plate

This is what they have now.

Last edited:
Thanks!
What did you use for access ports?
I was thinking of Beckson?

I installed Seabilt inspection ports on tank sides of a Willard 30. It's a dirty job but fairly straightforward. Need the right hole saw and patience. If drill bit walks too much, can be difficult to get everything aligned for install. Really depends on overall access.

Peter

Thanks to both of you!
Great info and links!
Appreciate the response
I’ll be ordering accordingly

Good to see you return, Frank! I always enjoyed your winter cruises, which I could do well from my warm and dry home.

I put one into one of my tanks last fall. On the side facing the engine room.
I used https://www.seabuilt.com/contact.php
Installation was easy, the gasket and heavy ring on the inside and the panel on the outside. I needed to be able to reach in to clean and to repair, so used the one that allows a 12" hole. Did the trick.
I admit butterflies when I filled the tank again, relying on the access panel to be leak proof. It is, as least so far.

Installation was simple enough, a 1/2" drill to start a sawzall blade for the hole, a ring of 1/2" holes for the bolts, those are smaller, but are perfectly spaced. My ring of holes was imperfectly spaced, so the larger holes allowed for that imperfection. Once in place, the gasket and some thread sealer sealed it up.

What boat did you get? Will you be doing your winter in Desolation Sound and the Broughtons again?

Last edited:
Thanks
I have a new 38 on order
My 31 cruises were typically during fall with winters on a sailboat in the Abacos.
Last year with covid I stayed west…
Currently on my sailboat

Info is fior a project boat j have at home in Ontario.
A 72 Albin 25
Just repowered with a Beta 25
The 50yr old fuel tank scares me
Can just imagine inside
Want to access it and a thorough cleaning.

Thanks

Last edited:
I put inspection/clean out ports in a black iron tank by cutting 6” holes with a holsaw, then drilling for bolts through 6” threaded pipe flanges. Cut the bottom flange into two pieces so that it can be inserted through the hole. Just like the fancy kits they sell, but much cheaper.
You can also get gaskets for the flanges that are specifically designed for fuel use, and use sealant liberally too.
A threaded brass plug seals it off.
It required three holes because of the baffles, and 6” was more than adequate to access for cleaning.
Also had to cut three large inspection hatches into the deck, that was the easy part!

Ours tanks are steel
Double thickness where cutouts are in the side big enough that a skinny person could get inside
Haven't felt he need to take them off as tanks have drainage crud sumps and nothing worth mentioning comes out, tips sample back in tank.
And the fuel filters are always spotless

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1622928367797_1.jpg
    FB_IMG_1622928367797_1.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom