Old 05-21-2019, 04:05 PM   #21

City: Va Beach
Vessel Name: SeaShell
Vessel Model: 1974 Marine Trader 34 Sedan
Wouldn't the service station diesel just mix with the off-road red diesel and lighten the tint. I can't imagine it would completely separate and show up as clear in your filter?? I am wondering is there is any way you could have gotten confused when filling your water tank and put the water hose in the fuel fill? It is not that difficult to do......

The curious thing is that your engine is still running with that much water in the tanks and filter.....
SeaBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:26 PM   #22
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
You have a question mark after the word water in your description, are you uncertain that it was water in the racor? Diesel from the gas station is not red like off road diesel. Any possibility you had clear diesel from the gas station in the bowl rather than water? Water in the fuel, if it reaches the injector pump would likely cause the pump to fail.

Very good catch Tomas.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:05 PM   #23
Guru

City: Northport
If there is any doubt that it could be water then place a small amount in a zip lock bag and put it in the freezer.
In almost every install that I have seen the fuel pickup is 3/4+ inches above the bottom of the tank so you will never get it all without reaching the bottom.
We had taken about 5 gallons of water out of a tank after buying a boat that had a poor "O" ring seal on a fuel fill.
It was fairly easy to get access to the tank through the fuel gage hole by removing the gage.
Then used a 'vane puppy' oil/fuel transfer pump with a length of soft copper tubing large diameter ice maker line with a short length of rubber hose at the end.
By moving and bending the copper line we were able to get to most all of the tank bottom and pump out the water/fuel into 5 gallon pails and by letting it decant for a bit before pouring off the fuel and leaving mostly all water.\
We have used the vane puppy pump for oil changes and fuel issues ever since - about 15 years back.
I am sure there are equally good options to the Jabsco vane puppy pump as well.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:58 PM   #24
SKS
Veteran Member

City: Elkton
Vessel Name: Change of Pace
Vessel Model: Mainship
You guys are awesome! Thank you for all the replies.

If my photos uploaded the gasket and filler neck are shown
I replaced very old and brittle material with fabricated rubber like material for now. Thank you Koliver!
Not sure what the groove in the threaded neck is for. Any thoughts?

I am not ruling anything out and it doesnít really matter. The water has to come out. I like the pump out thoughts. Question for smitty477, why a short length of rubber tube at the end of the copper tube?
I will do what I can about filler neck intrusion but may never know for sure.
The non dyed gas station diesel I believe would mix with the marine diesel and not be settling in the fuel separator. Perhaps Iím incorrect. What else would separate out in the bottom of the Racor bowl but water?
I am going to get the KolorKCut paste to confirm a few things. Thank you
Syjos!
No water hose in the tank mistake but sabotage? Vandalism very remote possibility but I have not pissed off anybody at the marina.
Itís odd that this is an ďall of a suddenĒ issue. I am leaning towards the bad filling station diesel theory since I have never had to drain a drop of water out in three years and 200+ hours. If water was getting in at the filler necks this would have shown up earlier I believe and not so excessively. Over a gallon drained out in ~ 2.5 run time seems like a sudden dump of water from somewhere?
Thank you again!
Attached Thumbnails
5DE70081-4D42-424B-996F-26FAA078DDBB.jpg   9C27AF3B-C6A7-498D-90D2-89779E5B9D2E.jpg  
SKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:18 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
The groove allows a chain to be attached to the cap, and yet not interfere with refueling nozzles.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:31 PM   #26
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKS View Post
You guys are awesome! Thank you for all the replies.

If my photos uploaded the gasket and filler neck are shown
I replaced very old and brittle material with fabricated rubber like material for now. Thank you Koliver!
Not sure what the groove in the threaded neck is for. Any thoughts?

I am not ruling anything out and it doesnít really matter. The water has to come out. I like the pump out thoughts. Question for smitty477, why a short length of rubber tube at the end of the copper tube?
I will do what I can about filler neck intrusion but may never know for sure.
The non dyed gas station diesel I believe would mix with the marine diesel and not be settling in the fuel separator. Perhaps Iím incorrect. What else would separate out in the bottom of the Racor bowl but water?
I am going to get the KolorKCut paste to confirm a few things. Thank you
Syjos!
No water hose in the tank mistake but sabotage? Vandalism very remote possibility but I have not pissed off anybody at the marina.
Itís odd that this is an ďall of a suddenĒ issue. I am leaning towards the bad filling station diesel theory since I have never had to drain a drop of water out in three years and 200+ hours. If water was getting in at the filler necks this would have shown up earlier I believe and not so excessively. Over a gallon drained out in ~ 2.5 run time seems like a sudden dump of water from somewhere?
Thank you again!
"Question for smitty477, why a short length of rubber tube at the end of the copper tube?"
Soft copper 'rubbed' off on an aluminum tank bottom could (might) promote corrosion in the presence of water.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:54 PM   #27
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
The groove allows a chain to be attached to the cap, and yet not interfere with refueling nozzles.

What should prevent water intrusion through that slot?

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 07:54 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
What should prevent water intrusion through that slot?
I would immediately (if not sooner) seal up that slot!
Old 05-21-2019, 08:01 PM   #29
SKS
Veteran Member

Thanks smitty477.
I got a gentlemanís B in chemistry.

koliver, seal up with what?
Old 05-21-2019, 08:24 PM   #30
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Thanks smitty477.
I got a gentlemanís B in chemistry.

koliver, seal up with what?
JB Weld or similar epoxy
Old 05-21-2019, 08:29 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
That slot pretty much defeats the purpose of having the raised pipe to keep water out. My diesel filler caps have chains to keep them aboard and do not interfere with the pump nozzle, so why have the slot?
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 01:00 AM   #32
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
A picture is worth a thousand words.. there is the culprit. get a set of new deck fills and get rid of that slotted neck and bad caps!
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:56 AM   #33
SKS
Veteran Member

Thanks again.
Before replacing fillers I’ll try koliver and smitty477 ideas, lithium grease on threads and JB Weld on slot. Already fabricated a new gasket.
Makes one wonder about the thinking behind the design.
Gonna get a 12v fuel pump and try extracting the water w/ a copper tube set up as suggested. My Kolor Cut arrives tomorrow ��.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:11 AM   #34
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Is the slot by design or an aftermarket alteration? Be very careful with a patch job. JB weld chunks blocking the fuel pickups would be no fun. Until you follow Hollywood 's recommendation, suggest you drop a well matched O ring over the male end and tight with deck and screwed down cap.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:27 AM   #35
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
Yup, that fill needs to be replaced immediately with a proper one. The gasket in the cap seals around the top rim but the slot is on the side. There is no way that is water tight.

Also unless you pretty much drained your tanks and refilled only with service station diesel, there is no way any of the diesel coming out of the tanks would not be tinted red.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:28 PM   #36
Guru

Seems likely the source of water has been identified - not service station diesel!!
Was the boat on the hard recently, perhaps leaning slightly so that rain water collected near the fill cap? Did you wash the boat aggressively and indirectly pour water through the slit? Does the boat naturally list in the direction of the fill cap? Because even if the fill cap slit is the culprit, it is hard to see why it would suddenly allow gallons of water into your fuel tank, especially since (presumably) it had not do so previously.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:35 PM   #37
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
OK. I'll be the outlier here. Being that they built over a thousand Mainship 34s in the 70s and 80s, I don't think the slot in the threads is a problem at all, as long as the cap is on tight. IIRC, the fuel fill and cleats are on a raised portion of the deck.

The only good thing about flush fuel fills from a design standpoint, is that they are flush. Otherwise, they are completely dependent upon an O ring.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:40 AM   #38
FF
Guru

Our solution to the usual leaking deck fill was simple.

We remove the fill from the deck and cut in for a 6 inch bronze plate.

The deck fill was tossed for a pipe nipple that fit into the existing rubber fill hose.

The nipple is capped with a std plumbing cap, no capture chain, its only a buck or two at a box store.

As a screwdriver will not remove the deck plate there is less worries about fuel theft , or marina jokers with a water hose.

The lower buck solution would select a plastic deck plate.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:43 PM   #39
Guru

City: Deltaville
As some others have noted, do not use a copper pipe to draw fuel from the tank, copper and aluminum are galvanically incompatible, dragging the copper across the bottom of the tank will leave copper residue, and in the presence of water, this can lead to corrosion of the aluminum. Adding rubber to the end of the tube works but plastic tube would be even better.

Making certain you get all the water out is critical, just a cup or two can lead to corrosion while supporting biological growth. If the fill does not drop directly into the tank then installing an inspection port on the tank side or top may be necessary. These are available as a kit off the shelf, made by Sea Built out of Seattle.

I've been working on boats for over 30 years and I've never seen a deck fill like that, being raised makes good sense, except it's a toe stubber, however, the slot simply defies logic.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:42 PM   #40

City: Fredericksburg
Quote:
Hello all,
First outing of the season this past weekend and had a fuel contamination issue. Fuel tanks were topped off before a final 6.5 hour trip to home port last Fall. No issues on trip home and clear bowl for winterization. I topped off tanks again before storing boat inside for the Winter using 5 gallon diesel jugs purchased at a filling station, about 20 gallons total. This is where I suspect I got my bad fuel.

I ended up draining over a gallon of water(?) so far from Racor bowl while underway on a 2.5 hour trip. This is a first for me and bit disconcerting. I feel I was lucky to have discovered it before we had a big problem. At one point I saw no red fuel in the bowl. It raises a handful of questions.

1. What would/could have happened if this went undiscovered? I figure the engine would start running rough before shutting down giving me an opportunity to investigate. Worse case?

2. Now what? I need to know the water (or what else could it be?) is all out before setting out again with peace of mind. Is a fuel polishing advised/required? If so, (please excuse my ignorance on this), is that typically a mobil service that comes to your marina? What about running the engine and gen-set in the slip until I donít have to drain the filters any longer? If the boat sits, wonít the water settle to the bottom and be unreachable by the fuel pick up? Next time weíre out the water sloshes around, mixes with the fuel and we have the same issue.

Weíve had the boat, 78 Mainship Mk1 for about three years. Two original 110 gal. aluminum tanks. I know clean fuel is critical and I have been changing filters, adding algae treatment and watching the bowl but thatís it. Iím still learning and would appreciate any thoughts and advice.

Thank you so much in advance,
Steve
Doubtful of that being water, it would most likely be the clear or yellow diesel you got at the gas station. If that was water in the level your engines would be DEAD.
Justtls is offline   Reply With Quote