Old 12-12-2019, 05:11 AM   #1
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Flopper Stopper - design ideas?

Looking for ideas for at-anchor flopper stoppers. Goal is something easily deployed and stout to replace my current original equipment setup that is definitely stout but a PITA to deploy. Not looking for a paravane setup, but not looking for a dinky Magna setup either.

Current on my 1970 Willard 36 is a pair of 3" spinnaker poles - must be 12-long each - fixed end is a traditional spinnaker snap into a 2" SS loop on the side of the bonnet. They tuck nicely against the flybridge bonnet when not in use but require quite a bit of rigging at each use. I could go a few years and not need them, but when I need them, seems like I'm in places where open roadstead anchorages are all you get so I use them constantly. On paper, rigging should be a snap. In practice, rigging a fairly heavy pole that is pretty long and hangs well over the side decks is difficult. Greased pig comes to mind.

Best stowage is for poles to lay horizontal along the flybridge bonnet (versus vertical similar to paravanes). What I could use input on is the hinge and support configuration to avoid free-end rigging. Could also use suggestions on better materials, perhaps smaller sized aluminum with more adaptive end fittings.

Any real world examples out there?
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 07:32 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Forespar has one of the better systems from what I can tell. I know of a Nordhvan and a KK42 that had them. They seem to store well when folded back.

https://www.forespar.com/products/ro...-stopper.shtml
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:29 AM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Forespar has one of the better systems from what I can tell. I know of a Nordhvan and a KK42 that had them. They seem to store well when folded back.
Now that you mention, I seem to recall many/most Nordhavns had a slick FS setup. The Forespar URL has very little info on the setup and the fittings (pics are pretty bad). Larry - your avatar pic of your KK42 has FS set. Are you happy with the setup?
Old 12-12-2019, 08:32 AM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Now that you mention, I seem to recall many/most Nordhavns had a slick FS setup. The Forespar URL has very little info on the setup and the fittings (pics are pretty bad). Larry - your avatar pic of your KK42 has FS set. Are you happy with the setup?
Whoops - those might be fishing outriggers Larry.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:05 AM   #5

City: PNW
We have this from FlopStopper. Broken down, they do not take up much space and seem to be effective when needed.
FlopStopper.com
Stabi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:44 AM   #6
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Magma makes an effective one. I've seen several boats with them deployed and they seemed to work quietly.

I would not use Magma's poles however. From observation, they are difficult to put out.

One boat hung the Magma roll stopper from a boom and another from the para vane poles.
Attached Thumbnails
r10-702_coverImage.jpg  
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:17 AM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Whoops - those might be fishing outriggers Larry.
Paravanes that we use a anchor as flopper stoppers.

You’ll like the flopper stoppers. We spent 5 years on the Pacific coast between Mexico-Panama and lot of the anchorages are exposed to the western swell. They were key to improved comfort.

There were different rigs to get the actual flopper stopper out away from the boat but the majority of cruisers used the Magma “Rock n Roll” stabilizer.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 02:27 PM   #8
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
A photo or 3 of the existing setup, mounting pcs., and out configuration might help.
Maybe not but without a photo it is ALL guesswork.
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:37 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by C lectric View Post
A photo or 3 of the existing setup, mounting pcs., and out configuration might help.
Maybe not but without a photo it is ALL guesswork.
Attached are a couple pictures. It's essentially the Forespar setup, just not quite as elegant. Old-school spinnaker pole connections. Forespar's website gives only basic info with a hand-sketch showing a single topping lift and two down-hauls to triangulate. On paper, makes perfect sense. In practice, awkward to rig as the free end flops around and is pretty unwieldy (keep in mind, this is all happening for a reason - rolly anchorage). I'm having a robust hard-top installed so might be able to run twin topping-lifts, which should ease deployment considerably. Like the KK owner, I too have cruised the Pacific and believe at-anchor stabilization is a must-have. Obviously, I have the in-water part (similar to the Forespar or the other Flopper-stop item someone linked).

I have also toyed with having an A-Frame fabricated of 1-inch SS on a hinged base of 18-inches - would obviously be stowed upright similar to Paravanes, but would be much lighter duty and smaller. If I make the hinges removable, the arms could be stowed during long stretches of non-use.

Thanks in advance - I was just hoping to query TF's 'bigger brain' to see if there were other cool ideas I hadn't thought of.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Flopper Stopper.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	97500

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailboard.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	97501
Old 12-13-2019, 10:46 AM   #10
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I have hung my inflatable off the side of the boat just barely touching the surface from my boom on occasion.... and it has worked OK.

Trying new dingy davit setup that will use the same hanging rig so may try it some more and experiment.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 06:46 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabi View Post
We have this from FlopStopper. Broken down, they do not take up much space and seem to be effective when needed.
FlopStopper.com
Just one or are they in pairs?
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 06:29 AM   #12
FF
Guru

Some of the boats in the Carib that try to hide behind too small islands like ST Barts simply use a second anchor to haul the bow around to point into the swell.

Stops the rock & roll , but the up & down remains.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:35 AM   #13

City: Wherever Smartini is
Vessel Name: Smartini
Vessel Model: 2002 Kristen 52' Flybridge Trawler
We've thought about adding FS's to our boat, and I'd be inclined to seriously consider something homegrown, except for the underwater pieces.

Obviously, the longer the poles, the more effective the flop stopping action, but could the same result not be obtained with shorter poles (easier to deploy and store), and bigger underwater parts? I wonder how much each foot of pole length contributes to stability. Now that I think of it, there's probably a math formula that would give a pretty good estimate of all of this, taking into account the length of the poles, the size of the underwater piece, and maybe the weight of the boat? Any math majors out there?

(Update: I just looked at the FlopperStopper website, and they say theirs is effective even when deployed from a side cleat, so NO pole. If that's true, then even a very short pole - 3 feet or so - should make it much more effective. Intriguing.)
BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:50 AM   #14

City: PNW
Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Just one or are they in pairs?
Just one. We suspend it using the boat deck davit.
Stabi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 08:01 AM   #15
Guru

No math, but suppose would need to know more about what you're stabilizing anyway. My boat is full displacement round bottomed, so more inclined to initial roll than a wide, flat Tiara of same length

My friends 52-foot horizon power cat is 28-feet on the beam, maybe a tad less at the waterline. She does okay with beam waves in an anchorage.

My flopper stoppers are over 32' wide, tip to tip. The underwater "flaps" are probably 4sf or more. I plan to shorten the poles considerably (3' or so) as I just can't imagine that amount of stability is needed.

Because the flaps all have one way gaskets that close on the up stroke, there is more stability going on than simple long lever arm. I really don't think it would take much. I see your boat is a 52-trawler. If you're committed to do this (and its a no-brainer for me), buy the "flaps" and experiment with 2x4s to see what works. Or use Seldane telescopic whisker poles that are adjustable.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:28 AM   #16

City: Wherever Smartini is
Vessel Name: Smartini
Vessel Model: 2002 Kristen 52' Flybridge Trawler
Quote:
No math, but suppose would need to know more about what you're stabilizing anyway. My boat is full displacement round bottomed, so more inclined to initial roll than a wide, flat Tiara of same length

My friends 52-foot horizon power cat is 28-feet on the beam, maybe a tad less at the waterline. She does okay with beam waves in an anchorage.

My flopper stoppers are over 32' wide, tip to tip. The underwater "flaps" are probably 4sf or more. I plan to shorten the poles considerably (3' or so) as I just can't imagine that amount of stability is needed.

Because the flaps all have one way gaskets that close on the up stroke, there is more stability going on than simple long lever arm. I really don't think it would take much. I see your boat is a 52-trawler. If you're committed to do this (and its a no-brainer for me), buy the "flaps" and experiment with 2x4s to see what works. Or use Seldane telescopic whisker poles that are adjustable.
Excellent info - thanks! I like the idea of experimenting with some 2x4's.
BrianSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 03:06 PM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Here are some that I'll be installing before my next long cruise. BrisHamish has them and highly recommends them.

Boat Stabilisers | Boat Stabilizers by Ocean Torque
Old 12-15-2019, 09:07 PM   #18
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Those are similar to these:

https://www.davisinstruments.com/pro...ocker-stopper/
Old 12-15-2019, 10:57 PM   #19
TF Site Team

Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRENE View Post
Only in that both are circular! The Ocean Torque ones have black flaps that raise up to reduce drag on descent, then have high drag when being raised.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:21 AM   #20

Vessel Name: Beluga
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46eu 2006 hull#289
As Brian mentioned, we have had the OceanTorque ones for a couple of years now and use them pretty much every time we go out. Simple and effective, and the stainless poles dont seem to detract badly from the appearance of the boat..

Hamish.
BrisHamish is offline   Reply With Quote