Old 04-12-2020, 08:25 AM   #21
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Through the course of our boat ownership we have had kids and dogs, Neither at present.

Carpet was OK and nice and warm on bare feet and the dog could "plunk" anywhere in comfort. If you go with fairly cheap carpet and the installation is easy I guess carpet is OK. With kids the sand is the issue

I much prefer my teak parquet with an occasional throw rug.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 08:34 AM   #22
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
Through the course of our boat ownership we have had kids and dogs, Neither at present.

Carpet was OK and nice and warm on bare feet and the dog could "plunk" anywhere in comfort. If you go with fairly cheap carpet and the installation is easy I guess carpet is OK. With kids the sand is the issue

I much prefer my teak parquet with an occasional throw rug.

pete

The solution to the dog on boat issue when I was a kid was that the dog isn't allowed in the cabin, he/she stays up on the bridge deck. Now that it's my boat and my girlfriend's dog (still the same boat though), we follow the same rule for the most part. Our current dog isn't happy sleeping on the bridge deck with us down below, so he gets to come down at night to sleep if he's on the boat overnight with us. During the day, he's perfectly content to not go further than sticking his head through the doorway into the cabin.

How well that works for the dog is very much dependent on boat layout, however. Both dogs I've known on this boat have been quite happy sleeping on hard surfaces, so as long as there's at least some choice of non-slippery surface for them to lay on when needed, carpet vs hard floors wouldn't be an issue anyway.

To me, the biggest annoyance with carpet is keeping it clean and not letting it look gross / worn, particularly if it's light colored. It's mostly an issue in the high traffic areas. The 20 year old carpet in my staterooms looks basically new, but the stuff in the salon is due for another round of heavy cleaning and it's starting to show some wear on the stairs.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 01:23 PM   #23

City: Punta Gorda
Impressive.
amapola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 05:01 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Plantation, Fl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by klee wyck View Post
We likely have as odd taste in floors as we do in boats, but I really like how this turned out.
The ultimatum was given on the stinky old red carpet, so we went with this tough and water resistant hardwood. (I like teak well enough but have plenty on Klee Wyck)
Looks really good! I recently helped my daughter install luxury vinyl planks in her home! She's got a very rambunctious boxer who causes lots of spills and is still in process of being house broken!

The vinyl planks look exactly like engineered hardwood and gave a wonderful texture finish.

I'm looking to do the cabin sole in my sailboat with luxury vinyl planks.
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 04:15 PM   #25

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Knot Hours
Vessel Model: Hatteras 58 LRC
Hi, slip-mate (I'm a few slips west of you at G-12). This looks really great! I'm impressed. Has the change from carpet to wood floor had any impact on engine sound-deadening when underway?
Juliet 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 04:57 PM   #26
Guru

City: Seattle, WA USA and San Carlos, Sonora MX
Vessel Name: Domino and Libra
Vessel Model: Malcom Tennant 20M and Noordzee Kotter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliet 15 View Post
Hi, slip-mate (I'm a few slips west of you at G-12). This looks really great! I'm impressed. Has the change from carpet to wood floor had any impact on engine sound-deadening when underway?
Hi Neighbor! Wish I was over there right now!

From post 14 above:
One of the things I was a little concerned about in the switch from carpet to the more rigid flooring was sound level. I suspected the carpet was doing more sound absorption than the wood would do and this was generally a pretty quiet boat, 57-61dB underway at full steam.
I am pleased to report that there was no change that I could detect.

I did not have the meter on the trip into the boat yard a couple of weeks ago but Laurie and I both commented that we could not pick up any difference from when it was carpet. That surprised me a little since the pad and carpet should absorb more sound and transmit less than you would expect the wood might.
I will try to remember the meter when we bring her home and report back. Perhaps the meter will be more discerning.
Old 05-14-2020, 01:57 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliet 15 View Post
Update:

We retrieved Libra from the boatyard Tuesday with a freshly blasted and recoated bottom. Good for another 25 years....

On this trip I did have the meter to see if I could detect any increase in sound from the move to hardwood from carpet in the cabin. The meter read from 56-61 decibals at the helm with one side door open which was no change from prior even on the meter. This classifies as sound level of quiet office. I have been surprised that a boat this rigid would be that quiet but well insulated I think and 10 cylinder engine may help?

And, by the way, it was a beautiful day on the Salish Sea for a boat ride. I thought this cell phone pic turned out well looking West at the San Juan and Gulf Islands from near Cherry Point.
Attached Thumbnails
May 2020 shipyard cruise.jpg  
Old 05-15-2020, 07:14 AM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Good news on the sound proofing! On the pic, it looks like you need to wait out the weather window a little unless you have stabilizers!
slowgoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 07:29 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgoesit View Post
Good news on the sound proofing! On the pic, it looks like you need to wait out the weather window a little unless you have stabilizers!
Yeah, how about that calm? This is a large body of water and from that particular spot there is around 150 miles of Northwest fetch. Not a ripple at that moment! I have seen it look quite different.