Old 06-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #1

City: Fulton TX
Vessel Name: The Salty Swallow - named by wife
Vessel Model: Private builder - 50' Trawler
Flooring

Good evening all, we currently have carpet over ply in our main living area (sounds a bit wanky calling it a salon LOL) and we would like to put down some wood flooring instead...I am VERY partial to the colors of cedar, the deep reds and pale blondes, is it possible to use the same type of flooring as is used in dirt houses ? Or is it better to use solid wood ?

AussieCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: West Linn, OR
Vessel Name: Greenstreet
Vessel Model: 1967 Garden
Flooring

I also have plywood floors thoughout my boat and after much consideration of various floor covering options, I selected and installed a glue down vinyl strip floor by Metroflor. My boat has been used as an office since 1995 and the floor looks great, and no one has firgured out that it is a vinyl product.
Randy
randyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:05 AM   #3
FF
Guru

Parquet flooring is usually the easiest to install as much can simply be glued down and trim on hatches or other access can be trimmed on a table saw , then installed.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Port Lincoln
Vessel Name: Nenad
Vessel Model: Frahnof
I redid the wheelhouse last year and being a tight arse went with the wood floor that you just click together and lay it on a silver underlay, only took a couple of hours to put down and I am more than happy with the results.
Adam
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0096.jpg  
maxhopper502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
I work for a hardwood lumber company. We make a semi load of solid wood flooring every day. I like solid wood because that is what I do,but unless you are willing to seal the underside if the solid wood flooring before putting it down I would not use it in a boat. It will find any moisture that is in the area and cup.If you want the look of solid wood I would use a engineered product that is a multiple ply on the bottom with solid wood on top . I still think I would seal the bottom first.Solid wood is forever looking for moisture.
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Smithers/Prince Rupert, BC
Vessel Name: Ai Tu Taki
Vessel Model: 1978 Tollycraft 30 Sedan
Another thing to keep in mind is that carpet helps reduce the sound if your engines are under the "living area". Wood floors will be much louder.
TedB_BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
Guru

City: somewhere
What if you insulated the decks?
Old 06-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #8

I was thinking of trying to put down some form of sound insulation before the flooring....if I can find something thin enough to not upset the door levels that will still have some effect. There is already a layer of foam/foil on the engine room side of the floor but given the size of the engine she is still pretty noisy...

Old 06-25-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
Guru

City: New England
Vessel Name: Culmination
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Sedan
You might want to look into a cork based product made by a Portuguese company, Wicanders.

I searched high and low for something that would look like wood, but would be much lower maintenance (I'm getting too old for re-polyurethaning wood every year or two). After looking at and discarding about a dozen fully synthetic products, I was introduced to Wicanders.

They have an absolutely amazing line of flooring products, all made from cork, that look and feel like genuine wood - but are waterproof, solvent proof, fire proof, impact resistant, rot proof, sound deadening, and have a 15-year warranty - and need no maintenance or refinishing. We have it in our boat and everyone compliments us on the 'beautiful burled walnut' flooring - no one can believe it's cork.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endurance View Post
You might want to look into a cork based product made by a Portuguese company, Wicanders.

I searched high and low for something that would look like wood, but would be much lower maintenance (I'm getting too old for re-polyurethaning wood every year or two). After looking at and discarding about a dozen fully synthetic products, I was introduced to Wicanders.

They have an absolutely amazing line of flooring products, all made from cork, that look and feel like genuine wood - but are waterproof, solvent proof, fire proof, impact resistant, rot proof, sound deadening, and have a 15-year warranty - and need no maintenance or refinishing. We have it in our boat and everyone compliments us on the 'beautiful burled walnut' flooring - no one can believe it's cork.
Sounds perfect ! I am off to research !

Old 06-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #11

City: Galveston
Vessel Name: Sea Catsle
Vessel Model: 1971 Hatteras 58 Yacht Fish
We installed teak and holly sheets in our salon, I want to say it was about $60/sheet unfinished, from Houston Hardwoods, Imported Hardwood, Lumber Distributor & Custom Molding in Texas | Houston Hardwoods Inc.. We have pretty good insulation between the floor and engine room below the salon.

In the galley, we just installed hand hewn teak, tongue and groove flooring.

There is some sound proofing, Marine Sound Insulation, which I was looking at for further sound proofing.
Victor_Chat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #12

City: Green Turtle Cay/Western NC
Come on all, it is NOT a floor it is a deck! Floors and deck beams support the deck!
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #13
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
And I thought it had sole.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_Chat View Post
We installed teak and holly sheets in our salon, I want to say it was about $60/sheet unfinished, from Houston Hardwoods, Imported Hardwood, Lumber Distributor & Custom Molding in Texas | Houston Hardwoods Inc.. We have pretty good insulation between the floor and engine room below the salon.

In the galley, we just installed hand hewn teak, tongue and groove flooring.

There is some sound proofing, Marine Sound Insulation, which I was looking at for further sound proofing.
Thanks Mr Victor, just to clarify, was the teak and holly on the floor (sorry, deck LOL) or the walls etc ? And could you post some pics of both the walls and deck please ?

Old 06-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #15
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
I actually know of a great sound barrier product that is often ignored. Its HDV high density vinyl. Its the same stuff that you see hanging down in a commercial walk in refrigerator doorway. It is very thin and will outperform any cork or insulation product in regards to blocking sound. This is the guy I bought mine from. Mass Loaded Vinyl Barrier Fireproof Soundproofing Material | Super Soundproofing
It is really heavy so be careful how you load your boat with it.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:16 PM   #16
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Our boat is green trimmed and we coat the floor w green floor paint. It's a water based non-marine coating. As floor paint it is very hard wearing and holds up well. Was a light grey before and I was worried the dark green would wear and chip and expose the light paint under but it didn't happen.

I don't like taking up carpet every time I look in the engine compartment and I don't like the moisture, smell and dirt that carpets hold. Willy's Mitsubishi is fairly quiet and if I want quieter I can always put more sound insulation under the floor. Bligh's heavy vinyl sounds good.
Attached Thumbnails
STH71160 copy.jpg  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:31 AM   #17
FF
Guru

The memory from childhood may be ghastly , but there are new linoleum products that are fine and long wearing.

Some even include patterns with no skid that Selene uses.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:33 AM   #18
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Our boat came with 1/4" thick gray fiberglass diamond plate.The edges were rough and cut out of square.When we rebuilt the wheel house I took it up re cut all of it and squared up the edges and screwed it back down .We put a throw rug down in the middle .It looks a little like a work boat floor but it's tough and easy to clean.
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:38 AM   #19
Guru

City: Perth
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieCraig View Post
Good evening all, we currently have carpet over ply in our main living area (sounds a bit wanky calling it a salon LOL) and we would like to put down some wood flooring instead...I am VERY partial to the colors of cedar, the deep reds and pale blondes, is it possible to use the same type of flooring as is used in dirt houses ? Or is it better to use solid wood ?
Laminate click flooring from Bunno will be fine mate. Ive laid 100's of k's of that stuff in all areas including bathrooms, toilets and laundries when I was building houses. Insulation you're after wont be found in a thin layer under the laminate mate. Get under the floor and do it properly!

I'm planning on laying that stuff on my ply floor on AXE. Make sure the ply is cleaned and is dust free, put some liquid nails on the ply and lay the click flooring. I put liquid nails down because in a marine environment, sand will and mean WILL get under it. It's an inevitable fact and once its under you'll never get it out. You're all probay thinking "So what! Who give a sh!t about some sand under the floor" but trust me when I tell you sand under laminate flooring crunches and cracks and is like finger nails running down a blackboard.

Anywhoo I'm blabbing again but the moral of my story is laminate flooring is okay to use!
Cheers
Hendo

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
Old 06-26-2013, 06:53 AM   #20
Guru

City: Perth
Sorry Craigo forgot you're not in Australia and probs don't know what Bunno is. Bunno = Bunnings (Hardware, timber supplier etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler