flattening agent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FF

Guru
Am using Toplac in some areas and Brightside in others . Different colors.

I need a really effective flattening agent to create a flat finish.

Work boat style , not White boat style desired results.

Suggestions?

Interlux does make a one part finish and 2 part finish flattening agent...Jamestown Dist sells both...

Interlux Flattening Agent for Two Part Polyurethane Paints

The MSDS might say what the real "agent" is beyond the whole mix...but have found even with thinners...the stuff they make sure seems to do a better job than most generic thinners....so may be true with flattening agents as well.

>Am using Toplac in some areas and Brightside in others . Different colors.<

Jamestown does list a flattening agent for 1 part paints like Toplac and Brightside.

Thanks for the tip.

Will cost a trip to Defender , as its probably hazardous , expensive to ship .

Last edited:
FF,
I was going to use the flattening agent too. Discussed it w the guys at Harbor Marine and e-mailed Interlux as well. They claim the flattening agent does not affect the performance of the paint. But I'm sure it will affect the ability of the surface coated to stay clean and be cleaned. My issue is w outside decks so if the "bright", gloss and traction issue becomes too much (w the Brightside we are using) we can overcoat w Interdeck that not only has anti-skid but a flatter finnish as well. We may do that anyway as the newly painted deck dosn't offer quite as much traction as the old deck. We mixed 3 colors for the deck paint to get the color we wanted so we will probably need to add the flattener and the anti-skid to our own mix. We call it "three Can Tan".

The deck looks funny in the pic as it's wet.

Attachments

• DSCF1646 copy.jpg
    DSCF1646 copy.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Flattener

I've used Awl grip two part with their flattener on aluminum in flat black. Good even results with no difference in the way dirt sticks to it.

WOW!

The Interlux site sez for really flat 3Q of agent are added to 1Q of paint!

At $33. a quart flattening sure is pricy!

They also state that multiple coverings will be required , no doubt cut 3-1 .

May try it with a coat of stock paint and then an overcoat of paint with the flattening agent.

Might be easier to simply go with the stock paint , and just let the salt buildup

Back
Top Bottom