Old 08-03-2021, 06:54 PM   #1
Guru

City: Homer, Ak
Vessel Name: Unicorn
Vessel Model: 1970 50' DEFEVER OFFSHORE CRUISER Timber
fire extinguisher mounts

I am looking for some innovative FI mounts for variety of FI sizes.

I do not like to store them in cabinets I prefer to have them hung and visible.

I don't seem to like the mounts they usually come with for a variety of reasons.

Does anyone have some clever and effective mounts?

BTW prefer non corrosive materials.

Thanks.
ofer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:40 PM   #2

City: Cape Coral
Vessel Name: Tonic
Vessel Model: 2007 Mainship Pilot Sedan 34
These are not cheap but they are nice

https://www.boatoutfitters.com/fire-...unting-bracket
Tonic1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:48 PM   #3
Guru

City: Duvall, Wa. USA
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
Oh boy, my next Starboard project.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:56 AM   #4
FF
Guru

"I don't seem to like the mounts they usually come with for a variety of reasons."

Yes, BUT the mount is part of the fire extinguisher , and I have been told it MUST be used to count as a safety item.

No idea weather this is correct, but after a fire the insurance company surveyor will know.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:56 AM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"I don't seem to like the mounts they usually come with for a variety of reasons."

Yes, BUT the mount is part of the fire extinguisher , and I have been told it MUST be used to count as a safety item.

No idea weather this is correct, but after a fire the insurance company surveyor will know.
i don't care about insurance, surveys or resale value.

My only concerns are Safety, functionality and beauty.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:42 AM   #6
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Safety is the reason it is on the USCG boarding form.

The extinguisher to be USCG approved must have a retaining bracket, not just the "hanging hook".

If they don't meet the boarding officer's understanding of "retaining bracket", you may get a warning or violation. I do doubt that t hough as I know lots of people who got stern warnings from the USCG for having them stored in cabinets ( not mounted) but didn't get a violation ( not sure of the warning that does involve some letter writing).

I think the linked bracket would be accepted.....but ya never know.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 11:10 AM   #7
Guru

I have had CG all they care about is the state of charge.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:45 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofer View Post
I have had CG all they care about is the state of charge.
....the boarding(s) you have been through extinguisher pressure may be all they cared about....a few in the many.

I am pretty sure that the bracket is why one extinguisher is USCG approved and the hook kind sold with extinguisher are not. They do check in some instances as every boarding does go a bit differently.

They also have been known to check the 12 year NFPA expiration rule as well as the condition of the safety pull pin.

Coast Guard Approved extinguishers are hand-portable, either B-I or B-II classification and have a specific marine type mounting bracket. It is recommended the extinguishers be mounted in a readily accessible position.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:52 AM   #9
Guru

More info

https://fireextinguisherdepot.com/ma...extinguishers/

Coast Guard Approved extinguishers are hand-portable, either B-I or B-II classification and have a specific marine type mounting bracket. It is recommended the extinguishers be mounted in a readily accessible position.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:59 AM   #10
Guru

I don't let CG aux inspectors on board.

The only time i get CG boarding is in the middle of the ocean when my sexy GF has the stringy bikini on.

I am not joking either.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:07 PM   #11
Guru

There's always a first time, just trying to keep members up on rules and regs whether they follow them or not
Old 08-05-2021, 12:07 PM   #12
Guru

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
or you can buy that 3D printer and spend the next 2 years making the perfect bracket
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 12:37 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
There's always a first time, just trying to keep members up on rules and regs whether they follow them or not
thank you, appreciate your contributions.
Old 08-05-2021, 08:27 PM   #14
Guru

City: Dewatto
Vessel Name: CHiTON
Vessel Model: Tung Hwa Clipper 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
$90 for an ugly plastic bracket!!! Find out if your local high school has a woodshop class. Buy a $40 piece of 1/2" teak and take the board, the picture, and the extinguisher to the instructor. In a couple of weeks you'll have two beautiful brackets and some kid will get an A.
Marco Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 06:27 AM   #15
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
More info

https://fireextinguisherdepot.com/ma...extinguishers/

psneeld
That link includes the statement
"Minimums of a 5 B:C U/L rating and 2lbs. of dry chemical, 2 1/2 lbs. of Halon or 5 lbs. of CO2 are necessary to meet the requirements for a Coast Guard B classification. All extinguishers must be “restrained” in mounting brackets of the marine or motor vehicle type which have been subjected to the same rigid salt spray and vibration tests as the extinguishers (wall type brackets are not acceptable). A Marine Bracket must be used when mounting a fire extinguisher for marine use."

My understanding, as a recreational vessel examiner, is that to be USCG approved an extinguisher has to come with an approved mounting bracket. While mounting is strongly recommended (and the reasons discussed with the boat owner for education purposes) mounting is recommended but not required on recreational vessels. The only evidence that it originally came with an approved bracket is the " USCG Approval" printed on the extinguisher.
While I believe use of a non- approved bracket is technically not allowed I have to wonder if anyone has ever, or would ever be cited for using a "well designed and well made bracket like the one shown??
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:56 AM   #16
Guru

I agree...fortunately most Coasties are taught to use their discretion. At least to the point of not getting court martialed.

Lack of fire extinguisher or not properly mounted is often just a warning to fix.

So if a bight young person looked at the bracket and hit it with the palm of their hand and the extinguisher remained in place....of course asking permission to do it so it could pass ....but if it broke then even steven.If it survives...."pass".

I believe the USCG feels that the "regular" bracket is not suitable so ofcourse the manufacturer comes up with a 10 cents "suitable" replacement. If the average coastie can't figure that out....people who carry guns and board drug boats....maybe they are out of place to begin with.

But alas.... the correct answer is original bracket is what makes the extinguisher "USCG approved".
Old 08-06-2021, 08:33 AM   #17
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
I think each fire extinguisher manufacturer offer an alternative bracket that is painted steel with a stainless steel body retainer band. The cost of these brackets approximates the cost of the extinguisher equipped with the approved plastic bracket.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:44 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
I think each fire extinguisher manufacturer offer an alternative bracket that is painted steel with a stainless steel body retainer band. The cost of these brackets approximates the cost of the extinguisher equipped with the approved plastic bracket.

I have an extra large fire extinguisher that says right o the label "only USCG approved with XXXXXXXX or XXXXXXXX bracket."

So yes you can buy any fire extinguisher and as long as you have a "xxxxxxx" bracket, you are good to go or have a non-USCG approved bracket that looks and acts like the desired design and the USCG boarding officer uses a little discretion.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:00 PM   #19

City: Hawaii
Both the bracket and the extinguisher must be USCG approved on a US flagged vessel and probably on US state registered boats. The small extinguishes from Home Depot, Lowes and Costco may be USCG approved but the plastic strap type bracket that usually comes with them is not. Google USCG approved extinguisher brackets. There are plenty available.
ProMaritime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 04:54 PM   #20
Guru

City: Madeira Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Please be aware of old weak hands, such as mine. The plastic strap intended to hold the fire extinguishers in place is wonderful, EXCEPT I can't pull it open. Instead I have a shoelace where the hold down strap should be. This works.

(Extinguisher is near door to cockpit)

Another thing you fellows might not consider is the weight of the larger units. They are heavy, so aboard Seaweed I have an inordinate number of smaller ones, plus smoke alarms and three co alarms.

I'll bet starboard would be ideal too. Thanks for the idea.
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote