Originally Posted by Pack Mule
My original lazarette hatch was built with channels and drains . The drains never worked right and it wound up rotting out.I racked my brain trying to figure out a new flush hatch with gutters and drains. I finally said screw it and built a raised hatch. It stays dry below and we’ve never regretted the decision. Sure we stumped our toe a couple times until we got used to it. I know this is no answer to your questions but maybe an option.
Timb : My 1987 Marine Trader 38 had EXACTLY the same piece-of-junk aft hatch design that you are having to deal with. By the time I bought the boat, that leaking hatch had rotted the lazarette bulkhead to the point that I had to replace the entire bulkhead. I completely agree with the solution suggested by Pack Mule. My raised hatch is not nearly as pretty as Pack Mule's hatch, but I used the same idea. By the way, my new raised hatch is smaller than the original flush-deck hatch because the portion of the hatch that used to be over the aft stateroom has been turned into solid "deck", not leaking "hatch". I think the guy at Marine Trader that came up with that original hatch design was on drugs. Just remember, Tim, you were put on this earth to suffer.
By the way, I should be passing through your neck of the woods in March/April of 2019.
Good luck with your hatch project.