Fiberfix, in your emergency repair bag?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love it. You can buy it at Lowe's here. It's what they make casts for broken bones out of these days. I keep several rolls everywhere.

Gorilla glue is also activated by water. Probably the same resin.

Does anyone know the shelf life? Can you store it for long periods of time and still have it work?

How is it different from Rescue Tape?

I have used Rescue Tape for years. This FiberFix looks like it could be m pain to use. The videos are not that impressive.

How is it different from Rescue Tape?

Rescue Tape is a flexible silicone tape that fuses to itself, not the object being wrapped. It is designed to withstand high pressures and temperatures and provide electrical insulation. Great to repairing hoses or providing an electrical insulating cover.

I would not use it for a 'structural' repair like a broken shovel handle or hockey stick like FiberFix is designed to repair.

Silicone Rescue Tape - Technical Data and Specifications

I've used rescue tape for years (once to seal an exhaust leak in a riser) and I have only good things to say about it. No water is necessary but stretching it is a must. I once had a pin hole in a Diesel fuel line while in the Bahamas that sprayed Diesel over the top of Cat 3116, used rescue tape and five years later it was still doing the job.

Rescue Tape is a flexible silicone tape that fuses to itself, not the object being wrapped. It is designed to withstand high pressures and temperatures and provide electrical insulation. Great to repairing hoses or providing an electrical insulating cover.

I would not use it for a 'structural' repair like a broken shovel handle or hockey stick like FiberFix is designed to repair.

Silicone Rescue Tape - Technical Data and Specifications

Good to have both on board when the West Marine and Ace Hardware are really far away.

This product appears similar to an item called Stop It Pipe Repair System that I've sold to industrial/chemical plants for over 20 years. It was developed in the gulf coast region for the repair of underwater pipes by divers. For Stop It, the water activated resin is polyurethane and it is certified to ANSI/NSF 61 for use on potable water systems.

It can be used on most piping materials and has been used on hoses. It is not difficult to apply and cures to full strength in around 30 minutes. Depending upon pipe size and the number of wraps you apply it is rated for up to 400 psi.

I don't have all of the details at hand but during one of the single handed round the world sail boat races in the early 1990s one of the boats was dismasted and turned turtle. The skipper carried the product and used it to repair a cracked fitting that was allowing water to enter the upturned hull and displace trapped air. Probably some amount of marketing BS here but in a later article he claimed that he was critical in keeping the boat afloat until rescue arrived.

I am not trying to sell this stuff to anyone on the forum - just glad that for once I am able to provide some input.

Gene

Back
Top Bottom