Faux Teak Trim - any experience with fake teak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boating rich

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Oriente
Vessel Make
Back Cove 37
I have accent teak on my boat and I am trying to find an alternative to the maintenance or just leaving it grey. My boat looks undone without the accents which wouldn’t go over well with my wife. The marine extruded products are pretty tubberware-ish. I have found some synthetic deck material which is more varnished teak like at ten feet. There is also the Viking option of having pvc or coosa board trim made and then faux painting it.

Has anyone gone down this path with any success?

I replaced the exterior teak on my sailboat with Plasteak. Looks like freshly sanded teak, pretty good from 10 feet but get closer and you can see it's not real. It's very flexible so it will form around curves but hard to get a fair curve. Also has developed some cracks around screw holes in a 1" half round piece. Also cannot be glued or painted so I could not plug screw holes, I used brass screws and left them exposed. They tarnish to about the same color as the material so not real evident. Overall I'm not real impressed, probably would not do it again.

We got a bow pulpit from Plasteak and was bery happy with it. They did have plugs to cover the screws.

Teach your wife to varnish?

Back
Top Bottom