Exterior Cetol Maintenance Coat; only gloss?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryastu

Veteran Member
I recently purchased a used boat in which the exterior bright work has been well maintained. I want to keep the tradition going. I know the previous owner used Cetol Marine Gloss over, a pigmented Cetol Marine product (not exactly sure which color). My question is, when I apply my annual maintenance coat(s), do I only re-apply the gloss? Based on what I've been reading; I think your only supposed to reapply the gloss, but I'm not 100% clear.

As a follow up, I'd be interested in hearing about folks' experiences, tips, and tricks, in prepping surfaces for Cetol maintenance coats.

Thanks in advance! - Ryan

Last edited:
We did maintenance coats annually. We usually washed with soap then lightly sanded with 220 grit then 2 coats of the gloss. If there were areas that we had chipped through our base coats of the Cetol Light, I would add a couple of coats of the Light with a foam brush and then fair that into the surrounding finish. I’d wait a week for that to cure then start with the 2 maintenance coats. The last time we got almost 10 years before we stripped everything off and started a new.

Last edited:
What LarryM said above. I washed with TSP and a scotch bright pad. Sanding will provide for a better finish as with any product but is NOT necessary for adhesion.

Greetings,
When we had to overcoat our Cetol, we gave the surface a quick wipe down with lacquer thinner. Seemed to clean and soften the surface for re-coat.
We only used the original Cetol Marine which has a tint.

If the underlying base of Cetol is in good shape then you only need to lightly sand the previous Gloss coats and apply new coat of the Gloss.

Late to the party, but Larry said it all. Cetol is very forgiving. I top coat with clear, but scrape down places that chipped/failed/ got water intrusion and go with a few base volts then gloom to match the rest.
On a different note, I'm experimenting with Epiphanes this year on some trim. I like the look and smell.

Back
Top Bottom