Old 04-12-2019, 06:05 PM   #21
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
Yes, very 'factory' like! Except for the missing screws.

What do you plan to use on top of the teak, or will you leave it to go grey?

The PO had covered my decks in cetol, which made them dangerously slippery when wet. I stripped that off then lightly sanded before using Starbrite Teak Oil for a couple of years. Then I used Teak Wonder. Very easy to apply but needed frequent re-application. But worst of all, it tended to leach out of the deck in the rain and then stain the hull below the scuppers. My latest approach is to use Deks Olje, #1 only. I use it on the rails, but with the gloss #2 over the top. So far the #1 on the deck areas is holding up quite well.
Brian I am tempted to use nothing.... but the only alternative to that I would consider is clear natural semco. this is practically invisible but allegedly resists dirt penetrating the deck. the marina I am at currently seems to cop a lot of very fine red dust fallout for some reason and that is giving me some concern. before I can use semco I need to wait a minimum of three weeks to allow the surface oil to dissipate and even then it needs to be given a light detergent wash off with a sponge. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has experience of using semco in tropical or subtropical conditions. my understanding is that it is likely to only last 12 months before a new application is required and while applying is quick and easy the cost of the product itself is very high
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:07 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Yes we taped before we caulked, have not sanded yet still waiting for the caulk to fully cure in our cool temperatures. We are going to use Semco oil for the finish. The PO had put on so much varnish you could not see the screw bungs.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:29 AM   #23
FF
Guru

For cutting just GRP the blades that are an abrasive cut fast and produce less dust that itches.

Folks can dust their arms and hands with Talc and then wash off with cold water if itching is a bother.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:23 AM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabelle View Post
... I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has experience of using semco in tropical or subtropical conditions. my understanding is that it is likely to only last 12 months before a new application is required and while applying is quick and easy the cost of the product itself is very high
We’ve been using Semco since the late 90s. On our sailboat we replaced the teak decks on the house and re-cut/re-caulked the side decks. We started using Semco on the recommendation of a guy who did teak decks for a living. At the time we spent 6 years in the tropics including 20 months in Australia. When we sold the boat after 10 years the decks looked great. We’ve owned Hobo now for 12 years and have used Semco since day one. We haven’t seen cold weather since 2008.

Here’s what Lena does: She cleans the decks using Cascade liquid dishwashing detergent mixed with water, 1/4 cup per 2 gallons of water. After wetting the decks she uses a 3M White Scotch Pad (the least aggressive) to clean the decks. After they’re dry, she uses a 3” foam brush to apply the Semco. After the first coat dries, she goes over it again, this time using a rag for applying the Semco. The process takes about a quart and 3 hours over the course of a day. She does this every six months. It doesn’t affect the non-skid properties of the teak and keeps them from drying out from what I can tell plus it keeps dirt from getting deep into the grain.

By the way, your decks look beautiful!
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:27 AM   #25
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Here’s what Lena does: She cleans the decks using Cascade liquid dishwashing detergent mixed with water, 1/4 cup per 2 gallons of water.
By the way, your decks look beautiful!
My boat washing crew does a similar treatment but they use "Dawn" detergent and a string mop, always mopping across the grain. When dry, the deck is finished and is allowed to grey naturally until another cleaning is needed. I've had the boat for four years and will continue with this process until....?

Attached Thumbnails
dirty.jpg   Clean.jpg