EXAMPLE: Defender vs West Marine. Whats up???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here’s the store front of the West Marine store in Anacortes Wash. Been like this for many years.

There’s an image of a heavy cruiser and a sizable OB boat. One can only assume the two images represent the powerboating community w a big cruiser and OB boat common on Puget Sound.

The big cruiser has a big Bruce type anchor like many many heavier and slower yachts in the area whilst the OB, representing a modern and lighter pleasure boat has a Danforth type anchor that is also popular.

You’d think they would be representing their product by displaying the most popular high performance anchors of the day but the Claw has been around since the 70’s and the Danforth since 1938. Both anchors sell well despite their drawbacks but these images show that having the brand new thing that is very popular among consumers isn’t everything.

This image on the front of the very popular marine pleasureboat store amuses me every time I see it. Must be that for the anchoring most people do the Claw or the Danforth must be adequate for their needs.

However I’d much rather no one commented on the performance of either anchor at all much less other anchors. The image and where it is is (to me) is rather humorous and odd. That’s all

I'm sure the average customer is just looking at the boats and will never notice what's on the bow. Only the crazies like us around here would notice!

I think the West marine near me must be a test store too. When I had to wait 3 months for a length of 1" exhaust hose, that is too much. I went to BOW (Boat Owners Wearhouse) and walked out the door holding the hose. I order the hose at Wm, I gave up and went to BOW and then, went to Atlanta for 3 months. When I got back and in 3 weeks later, WM said my hose had arrived. Told them I went to BOW and bought the hose. I did tell them I was not pleased.

The clothing at this store.... if I want a large or xlarge, they have it but, medium or small they dont have at the closest store.

Last edited:
Absolutely West has a long way to go.

But I just had delivered a 2.5lb Mantus dingy anchor with a list of $168, that I bought at West for $40.

At list I'd never spend that on a dingy anchor. At $40? Sure. For the one and only dingy anchor Panope recommends.

Not suggesting anyone become a fanboy. Just take advantage of what can be taken advantage of.

Absolutely West has a long way to go.

But I just had delivered a 2.5lb Mantus dingy anchor with a list of $168, that I bought at West for $40.

At list I'd never spend that on a dingy anchor. At $40? Sure. For the one and only dingy anchor Panope recommends.

Not suggesting anyone become a fanboy. Just take advantage of what can be taken advantage of.

When Wm was bought, the policy was, 'we'll match any price.' That went away.
Yes, I knew I was paying more but at least, I waked out the door the same day.
Now they may not have it in stock so why should wait 5 days when I can buy it for less and wait the same 5 days.

If anyone from West Marine is following this thread suggest:
Play to your strength. You are one of few brick and mortar store chains left in this market.
First cashier and stocking help could be anyone but floor help should have personal experience as a seasoned mariner. All to often I go into a West and spend 15- 20 minutes explaining to the help what I want and why. They are mostly clueless as to what the things in the store do or have no useful knowledge of which is the best product for a given application or problem. Use retired boaters/sailors or others who have actually used/installed the products you sell. I loved the now disappearing small , privately owned chandleries. Walk in with a problem they tell me how to solve it and collect the things to buy. Walk me through the installation. Your advice on your internet site is nearly worthless.
Second, as stated here people go into your store for a “I want it now” item”. Basic marketing tells you once you have them in your store it’s more likely they will buy another usually unrelated item. I’ve given up on going to your stores for fasteners, stainless, line, electrical fittings, wire, hoses and the various small items needed on a boat. Similarly have stopped buying lubricants and filters from you. Rather go to a fastenal, auto/truck supply, cordage store because they actually will have the needed part/item on the shelf. Don’t pay attention to what you have sold in the past when restocking as your only measure. Pay attention to what may possibly bring in foot traffic. When the bride comes with me we seem to always buy the part(s) I need and the stuff she wants. Think about rethinking your stocking policies. If you don’t bring anyone into the brick and mortar stores they will close. Change to the “go to”store not the first have a 15-20 phone call to see if you actually have it. Then half hour drive to your store only to find out floor help had no idea about the specifics so the parts on the shelf are worthless to you. That happens a few times customers stop calling first and stop going at all.
Have had Port Supply for decades. Now told I’m no longer eligible. Change your discount policy. Think of customers as three groups. Low volume and spending, medium and high. Taxing is a separate issue. Discount accordingly. Your current discounting doesn’t incentivize people to differentially spend money with you. Rather the incentive is to buy at the best internet price given its all to commonly not available in your store to buy on the spot.
Offer next day free shipping on small weight items and discounted shipping on heavy items. If you reach a certain threshold of spending all shipping is free.

Brick and mortar has several advantages. It’s right there. You can see and hold it. You can talk to someone about it right then and there. You’ve minimize those advantages and maximized opportunities for the customer to be disappointed with the experience of taking the time and effort to go to one of your stores. End of day that’s what this thread is about. Many salient comments above from many posters. Listen to your potential customers. You are losing them becoming a store only for the casual, small boat owner rather than those dedicated to boating and willing to spend the bucks involved. That’s not a recipe for success. Then you’re competing with Walmart and the like. Given their sales volume you will lose out on price and margin.

Last edited:
West Marine and Bed, Bath & Beyond share many similarities. Both are investor owned, both carry debt, both under invest in systems and infrastructure making it compatatively difficult and frustrating for shoppers. Both present incredibly disappointing and inconsistent customer experiences. Both seek margin improvement via private label brands without a trustful differentiator such as Costco/Kirkland offers (and as Sears Craftsman/Kenmore once did - their decline started almost 30 years ago). Both lack a clear vision and value proposition. Both used to be a first-thought for consumers. Now? No thought whatsoever.

In the end, poor leadership and focus on fast buck have left both squeezed out of the retail marketplace. Perhaps they survive, but thrive? Unlikely. In the end, West Marine has squandered so many opportunities I just can't imagine what a recovery might look like. Over the last 15 years, they've had more "fresh starts" than Italy..

Peter

I think a clear and achievable goal of West Marine is having supplies sold by the foot in stock as well as the basic hardware and components necessary to complete common installs. This would play to their strengths of having physical locations and would require rather simple inventory management and not require extensive technical experience from the staff.

I understand the potential value of knowledgeable staff to advise on projects but am skeptical of the company achieving this at all locations.

My local West Marine is on the grounds of a large boatyard with multiple repair and shipwright companies operating out of it, I'm sure that they order the vast majority of supplies from wholesale distributers and have near daily deliveries but I have noticed that this particular west marine does keep a decent stock of intake and exhaust hose in stock in the back. This is a great resource when you are in the middle of a major install and you either failed to order all of the supporting parts for your install.

What does surprise me is a lack of complete inventory of basic components, for example there will be several common sizes of bronze thru-hull fittings not in stock and when they are in stock, there is only 1 or 2 of each. I wouldn't expect a full line of expensive components and systems like charger/inverters, heads, winches, etc. but the basic supporting hardware necessary to complete the install of such a component would be great and worthy of paying a premium price so you can get a project completed.

I order extensively from Defender and receive my orders the next day even when choosing ground, I try to order all components necessary to complete major repairs and upgrades but there is always something I forgot or ordered the wrong size.

Back
Top Bottom