Old 01-07-2022, 02:19 PM   #1
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Emergency Temporary Fix Kit

Has anyone have this? Didn't even know there was such a kit!

Look at the boattest video. This is pretty cool.

https://www.seakits.com/?utm_medium=...ource=hs_email
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 04:56 PM   #2
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
My only comment on this is about the price. Ouch!!!!

I have most of what they show and a lot more on my boat but I paid a lot less than $999.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 05:18 PM   #3
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
My only comment on this is about the price. Ouch!!!!

I have most of what they show and a lot more on my boat but I paid a lot less than $999.
Ah but do you have the cool case?
Old 01-07-2022, 05:34 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Itís a slick kit but really? Hose clamps, J-B Weld, cedar plugs, duct tape, hatchet, etc. Not for my money. This is the content list for the SeaKits Expedition from their web site.
Attached Thumbnails
0852D0EE-50B8-421C-8729-10646B6F40C1.jpg   68141AE0-9255-4EE3-A424-53434353E5B3.jpg  
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 12:01 PM   #5

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: Rendezvous
Vessel Model: Blue water 40
it seems like this kit is designed for someone that doesn't already have a comprehensive tool and supply inventory onboard. most on this forum seem like doers to me. we do our own repairs and upgrades. if we weren't like that, an emergency repair kit might make sense. it fits in a case that stows away somewhere out of sight. the owner will never use it but it provides peace of mind.
i already have pretty much anything in that case or something similar onboard, just not in a handy case. i could never come close to fitting all my stuff in a case like that. the whole underside of the master berth is full of that, as well as the huge locker on the opposite side. not to mention all the little stuff tucked away here and there.
Bmarler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 12:28 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Yup, better to tailor emergency items to your specific boat, plugs for hoses, etc. Most of the items in the kit are normal maintenance items, carried on our boat normally anyway. and $$$$ PRICEY!
If a boat operator/owner doesn't already have these items, he/she probably wouldn't know what to do with them in an emergency anyway!
Old 01-08-2022, 02:07 PM   #7
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgoesit View Post
If a boat operator/owner doesn't already have these items, he/she probably wouldn't know what to do with them in an emergency anyway!
Well said. Still, there are a shocking number of folks whom rather not think about it or plan for it, or donít trust their own resourcefulness. For the stuff thatís not specific to any particular boat, itís a good start, but my ďspecificĒ list is twice that or more.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallowsĒ.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 02:35 PM   #8

City: Farmville
Vessel Name: Gon Bei
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 49 Classic -110
I generally agree with the preceding comments, but would point out that when we prepped out last boat to sell, I stripped it of everything that wasn't screwed down or made specifically for it, so it really showed well. Our buyer is learning his way and I'd guess that such a kit might be appealing. The trawler we are in the process of buying has a lot of stuff on it, but I have no idea how old the tape, adhesives and sealants are and as they definitely have a limited shelf life, prudence dictates that I should simply chuck them and start assembling a new 'kit'. I'm too tight to purchase one of these and will do it myself, but someone else may have more money than time... and that flexible clamp driver sure looks nice...lol
clburti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 02:59 PM   #9
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I would suggest that spending the money on damage control classes and first aid classes is money better spent (if not already very familiar with both).

Having a kit in front of you but not the big picture of both those areas is a "fail" waiting to happen.

If you are already familiar with those topics, making up your own custom kits is way cheaper and will better suit you when the time comes.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 03:55 PM   #10
Guru

City: Las Vegas
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I would suggest that spending the money on damage control classes and first aid classes is money better spent (if not already very familiar with both).

Having a kit in front of you but not the big picture of both those areas is a "fail" waiting to happen.

If you are already familiar with those topics, making up your own custom kits is way cheaper and will better suit you when the time comes.
Well said!
Thatís why we did Damage control training so often onboard and underway. All the tools in the world wont help if you dont know how to use them. And often the least likely item is your best option. The best tool you have is the gray matter between the left and right ear.
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 04:21 PM   #11
FWT
Guru

City: Centreville MD
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawlers 38E
The gift market.

What someone might give a new boater as a gift.

Kinda like the over-priced food and wine baskets popular at Christmas to have shipped.

Of course the price points puts these in a different level.
FWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 04:50 PM   #12
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
A gift certificate for training would still be a better deal...at least good reference books.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 04:53 PM   #13
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Ah but do you have the cool case?
I know you were being funny. Believe it or not, I do have the cool case but it has other cool things in it.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 05:18 PM   #14
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
$1K for THAT?????

Agree with the comments thus far except, respectfully, from Mr. cl (post #8). We are in the process of preparing to sell and I'm going to include as much as possible for the new owner: clamps, cable ties, tape, adhesives-(current, of course), hosing, filters, oil, coolants, gland packing, galley utensils, plates, cutlery, spare lines, linens, chart books (OK, somewhat dated) and a full compliment of tools both hand and electrical, starter motor, alternator, fuel pump, damper plates (2) and matching paint(s) just to name a few things.

When we bought her (18+ years ago), the previous owner had an impressive supply of spares which I thanked him for, after the fact, for many years. Hopefully a new owner will do the same for me in the future.
Old 01-08-2022, 05:29 PM   #15
Guru

Agree with most posts. I do have a milk crate with most of the stuff in the kit. If you have water intrusion it too late to wish you had some of this stuff.
Old 01-09-2022, 12:23 PM   #16
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

Until you get into to such a situation you will not know for sure that YOU are able to use these tools to save yourself. Buy the kit, stow it and try to remember where you put it a couple years later.

May I suggest that you exercise your thru hulls so they are ready to be shut off easily. I shut mine post-trip and on again at pre-trip checks. Good practice IMO.
I have not experienced a hull penetration so do not know what would cause a round hole into which those plugs would go into other than the thru hulls without a hose attached.
Old 01-09-2022, 10:09 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
Until you get into to such a situation you will not know for sure that YOU are able to use these tools to save yourself. Buy the kit, stow it and try to remember where you put it a couple years later.

May I suggest that you exercise your thru hulls so they are ready to be shut off easily. I shut mine post-trip and on again at pre-trip checks. Good practice IMO.

I have not experienced a hull penetration so do not know what would cause a round hole into which those plugs would go into other than the thru hulls without a hose attached.
Good point to exercise all your thru-hull valves.

One thing I like about some new builds is you shut off the thru-hull, then open another valve which sucks water from the bilge. Your engine becomes a big bilge pump.
Old 01-09-2022, 10:33 PM   #18
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Good point to exercise all your thru-hull valves.

One thing I like about some new builds is you shut off the thru-hull, then open another valve which sucks water from the bilge. Your engine becomes a big bilge pump.
Been meaning to do that setup.
Have done it manually to evacuate about 2 feet of water so I know it works well
Old 01-09-2022, 10:50 PM   #19
Guru

City: Dewatto
Vessel Name: CHiTON
Vessel Model: Tung Hwa Clipper 30
I was almost ready to drop $1K for the kit but then I realized that there wasn't a toilet bowl wax gasket. The most important item is missing? Maybe it is over priced.
Old 01-10-2022, 03:45 AM   #20
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Let's face it, how many folks experience a major system failure that needs such a case. We will develop our own "case" over time and we will put the 'parts' in the area of need.
In my own case, I do not find a need to keep 5 inch plug in an area that doesn't have a 3-5 inch hose. Of course, if you run the boat on the rocks, ripping open the hull, you have more important things to occupy your activity, contacting folks for help and, getting yourself and passengers off the boat into the raft.