Old 02-01-2018, 05:47 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertLeatch View Post
As an aside, what do you think those 2 deck fittings near the base of the pulpit are? I know the one with the cap on port side is a holding tank pump out (same as mine) but wondered if the other 2 were some sort of drain facility?
Possibly foot switches for windlass?
Old 02-01-2018, 05:52 PM   #22
Guru

City: East Coast, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertLeatch View Post
As an aside, what do you think those 2 deck fittings near the base of the pulpit are? I know the one with the cap on port side is a holding tank pump out (same as mine) but wondered if the other 2 were some sort of drain facility?

I have both of those too and both were made redundant by previous owners; I'll be removing both as part of the foredeck work. One of mine is stamped WASTE: it would have been the pump-out for the fwd holding tank. (In my refit, I converted that integrated f'glass tank to a sump for the fwd shower and the washing machine. I installed a large holding tank under the engine room flooring and connected both fwd and aft heads to it.) The other deck fitting: I've never been able to figure out what this would have been for. I wondered if it gave access for a corded windlass control. It could have been to fill a fwd water tank, but the Stb side deck has a fill for that and seems the logical place.
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:56 PM   #23
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabelle View Post
Brian: I hadn't thought of the extra-length factor against the bowsprit idea...but you are dead right, more length is not what I need!

And yes, exactly, I'm expecting to learn something about the likely state of the core by 'excavating' under the windlass. When you did your deck, do you recall if the windlass area was particularly bad....or no worse than elsewhere?
Although my surveyor highlighted the windlass area as being quite soft, I had lots of other soft areas as well. All up about 70% of my balsa was wet, and a number of places (including windlass area) were mushy dark brown. I don't think the windlass area was extreme. Many of my soft areas had no deck hardware nearby, and were clearly failed caulking left a long time without attention.

If your caulking has always been in good condition then your deck might be quite dry. Creaking on both foredeck and boatdeck is a 'feature' of the build to some extent! I'd suggest you have a thorough hammer test to see if some areas are different, and perhaps have soggy balsa.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:58 PM   #24
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
Possibly foot switches for windlass?
Lots of water entry potential there. The switch goes right through the deck,connections accessed from below. If the switch housing is not well sealed,or the seal degrades,problems. Same as bolting the windlass through the deck,the motors are powerful, must put out plenty of torque lifting a heavy rode. Ever moved a drum of chain? Add that to the weight of the anchor, seems to me it`s a significant load on the attachment points and could stress the bolt sealing.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:56 PM   #25
Guru

I followed up the broker involved with the OA Mk1 shown at Robert's post at #17. The broker was kind enough to reply:

"hi Paul, all the mk1s came with the anchor goingthrough the bow and over a rolling pin. the previous owner had it modified witha small bow pulpit and also changed the upper rail to follow the pulpit. weactually own a mk1 and I have sold 26 mk1s to date. great boats and reallypopular on the west coast. "

So the 'gash' is indeed original, as we'd always assumed. I do think the change made by this particular owner is a great visual improvement. It doesn't address the deck-mud issue which this topic is meant to be about...but in TF fashion, the thread wander has been very interesting nevertheless.

Back to elevated containment box construction issues perhaps?...
Old 02-01-2018, 11:34 PM   #26
TF Site Team

The broker in question is Shane at Fairhaven Yacht Sales. I know him well, a great guy. I bought my boat from him. As he notes, he has sold (and re-sold) lots of Mk 1's.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:52 PM   #27
Guru

What a small world...yes, Shane came back to me and said he'd looked over this thread with interest and saw your name too!