Electronic anti-fouling..Houston we have a problem...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firstbase

Guru
Vessel Name
Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42' Classic
I know nothing, just passing on what I was told in the boat yard today. Found it interesting and remember reading posts about these systems on TF.

This boat is next to mine in the yard. Walked over and talked to the yard manager who was looking at it. He told me that it is a brand new boat on display at the Fort Lauderdale boat show. He said the condition of the outdrives is the result of a new electronic anti-fouling system gone haywire. He wasn't sure what happened exactly as it just got there today but this is the result. Props are fine but everything else was peeling and corroding all over the place. that is bare metal and not something on top of the paint. No barnacles though. A testament to the efficiency of the system I guess.

Attachments

• IMG_0072.jpg
    IMG_0072.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_0071.jpg
    IMG_0071.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 271
Hi,
I think it used to be copper-containing anti-theft stendrives and therefore corroded? Also shows a black paint in front of the propeller and elsewhere in small areas, zinc also painted a little left over which can not be painted. Copper paint corrosion, stendrives and can also note the painted frame attached to the stendives, should leave a 2 cm gap.

NBs

I'd be hesitant to blame a sonic anti-fouling system without more details. Much as I suspect they're snake oil, I wouldn't expect them to cause something like this unless the installer really screwed up the wiring. That would become more likely if it was the same guy who did the bottom paint, as mentioned above.

Or is there some other kind of "electronic" anti-fouling gizmo now?

MerCathode run amok? It trys to impress a small voltage on the aluminum to stop erosion due to stray currents.

Are they Volvo outdrives? I would bet, that there is something wrong with the grounding system in the boat. Possible problems with dock power, or AC wiring on boat. Does not look good. After 5 outdrives, I have said I will never own another, they are a pain.

That is so sad. I hope that’s a dealers/manufacturer’s boat. If the customer had already picked it up, I bet his sleep cycle is screwed up. :eek: How do you fix something like that other than a complete change out and on a new boat?

Not sure this was the desired result, but it is evidence electronic antifouling systems do something.

Since all the metal under water is showing the same form of deterioration and since it is a new boat. There had to be a very serious amount of amperage flowing to do that much damage in such a short time. I would not expect a sonic device to be more than a low amperage 12 volt system. I’m leaning towards a serious ac wiring issue.

But I really don’t have enough facts to say.

Not sure this was the desired result, but it is evidence electronic antifouling systems do something.

That I've never doubted and I don't know this is caused by one. However, my conservative nature on new things told me I'd want to wait and see. I do have concerns that in the real world, there could be some bad interactions. It's a very complex environment. Just look at the impact other boats at the marina can have on one. Now toss in another factor like this system. I'll stick to my current bottom painting and regular diving until one of these systems has proven itself over at least a two year time frame.

That is so sad. I hope that’s a dealers/manufacturer’s boat. If the customer had already picked it up, I bet his sleep cycle is screwed up. :eek: How do you fix something like that other than a complete change out and on a new boat?

What I was told is that it has not been sold, still in the dealers hands.

About 12 years ago a dock mate was re-doing his grounds and bonding system on a KK 42. Two weeks after completion the vessel sunk at the dock due to several thru hulls failing. Water, metal, paint, dock power and boat wiring can easily misbehave.

In the stern drive pictured any idea as to how long this new vessel was in the water prior to hauling? Not uncommon that new builds are routinely neglected once floated. Sad no matter what.

Hard to armchair this, but I would personally suspect stray current from another boat at the show.

Hard to armchair this, but I would personally suspect stray current from another boat at the show.

Considering the location and marinas of the show, I would be very surprised at that as the cause. Boats wouldn't be able to hook up to the electric there with issues.

Very difficult to know the cause. However, we can't eliminate the anti-fouling system from at the very least having some involvement. Perhaps it only exacerbated another issue or perhaps made another issue more apparent. Perhaps it had nothing to do with it. However, my concern remains the same that one is introducing another variable that with all the existing electrical considerations could possibly have an unknown and unanticipated impact. I'll remain content to let others be the real world test cases.

It could easily be stray current at these boat show type situations.

I also remember Mercruiser Bravo IIIs looking like this after only a month or so because of improper zincs when they first came out.

Several possibilities, not much info.

One of the yard guys was over there today chipping and scraping and sanding away the remaining paint. All day long. Obviously they are going to repaint. Didn't come across the guy overseeing it but will check again tomorrow. Inquiring minds want to know....

One of the yard guys was over there today chipping and scraping and sanding away the remaining paint. All day long. Obviously they are going to repaint. Didn't come across the guy overseeing it but will check again tomorrow. Inquiring minds want to know....

They seriously think a paint job will restore that? I realize the pictures are not all that great but that looks like a lot of missing metal to me.:facepalm:

Marty.........................

IMO:

Alka-Seltzer hung in water on back of boat. Not to mention many other failings of out drives.

Spoke to the guy again. The outdrives were covered with barnacles when it got there but the bottom was clean. Not a one on the bottom. Underneath the barnacles the paint was fried and flaking off everywhere as you can see. He still says it had something to do with the electronic antifouling system gone haywire.

"He still says it had something to do with the electronic antifouling system gone haywire.

These have been sold for 4 or 5 decades ,not sure any one ever worked.

Sorta like the hull speakers to upset bottom growth, a great story,,not sure any one ever worked.

Odd the hull had zero barnacles but the outdrives were covered. Almost like whatever was going attracted them to the drives. Yard manager said many times he has seen the paint blistered around through hulls, thats where it normally happens but nothing like this.

As I mentioned, I know nothing about these things. Just parroting what I hear.

I want the update on how they sell it. New Boat? Demo? Show Boat? Used boat? Repaired boat? Junker?

Odd the hull had zero barnacles but the outdrives were covered. Almost like whatever was going attracted them to the drives. Yard manager said many times he has seen the paint blistered around through hulls, thats where it normally happens but nothing like this.

As I mentioned, I know nothing about these things. Just parroting what I hear.

Looks like the boat bottom has Anti-fouling on it which probably explains no barnacles on the bottom. If they were relying on failed/non-working electronic anti fouling to keep the outdrives clean its no wonder they are covered.

Just think of the cost when this happens with POD drives.

The props look like they have Prop Speed on them. They look very nice.

The props look like they have Prop Speed on them. They look very nice.

The do look very nice. I think they started out as bronze or stainless but now have a nice electroplated coating of aluminum on them. :blush:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom