This is Driving Me Nuts!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David Rive

Vessel Name
currently boatless
Where can I find a quality (ie heavyweight) brass or bronze plate into which I can engrave my boat's registration number. It should look salty enough that one would mount in the salon, or maybe the master. I've checked Defender, West Marine, and all I see is cheesy DIY plastic crap. I have Googled and drawn a blank. I can't believe there is no source anywhere for this. Help appreciated.

David

it-drives-me-nuts-cartoon-598x550.jpg

Something like this is inexpensive.

Address Plaques & House Numbers

Exactly, good suggestion. Those house number or nameplate vendors can make you one and it won't cost a million bucks either. You can even do a nautical theme plaque if you want to get cute. (Of course now I'm thinking of the CG reg that says that the doc numbers have to be affixed in such a way that removal would leave scars -- big bolts or lots of epoxy maybe.) Like this for example:

Attachments

• x354-q80.jpg
    x354-q80.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 644
Your local trophy shop should have the brass. For bronze or antique brass, local funeral home has plaques for caskets.

Never forget McMaster-Carr. Online, astonishingly fast.

IF the plate is to be used as the boats number for documentation remember it can not just be screwed in place.

It mist be perminantly mounted.

If its a cabin decoration anything will do.

Now, see what yuh done David..? Now you've got a tyranny of choice issue to cope with - that'll drive you even nuttier..! :D

LOL. You're right Pete. I am constantly amazed by this Forum - one can throw out the most obscure question and almost instantly get amazing feedback and support, almost 100% of which is good advice.

You could also use teak as an alternative either engraved or lasered. If simply engraving numbers, look for a cnc equipped sign shop that is capable of true V-carve cnc. Laser is better suited to small, complex or highly detailed work. I've attached some shots of a teak plaque that I cnc cut and laser engraved to house our boat's builder's plaque. Unless I'm mistaken the plaque itself is polished and chromed brass, a good trophy shop equipped with a Hermes (or similar) engraver should be able to fabricate something like this fairly easily. - Best of luck!

Attachments

• plaque1.jpg
    plaque1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 115
  • plaque2.jpg
    plaque2.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 138
You could also use teak as an alternative either engraved or lasered. If simply engraving numbers, look for a cnc equipped sign shop that is capable of true V-carve cnc. Laser is better suited to small, complex or highly detailed work. I've attached some shots of a teak plaque that I cnc cut and laser engraved to house our boat's builder's plaque. Unless I'm mistaken the plaque itself is polished and chromed brass, a good trophy shop equipped with a Hermes (or similar) engraver should be able to fabricate something like this fairly easily. - Best of luck!

Thank you for posting this! A week ago a friend asked me about engraving and I told him about this but couldn't for the life of me find it. Great job!

Question - have been on the same search as David (OP) for a good while. Following DHeckrotte's suggestion, looked at McMaster -Carr. They have 6" x 6" 260 brass plates in 0.125" thick.

My particular use is to use this sheet (engraved) to cover a prior equipment (apprx. 4" x 6") opening in a nice solid teak piece at my lower helm. I think 0.125" would be a good choice. All it has to do is sit there and look pretty. Sufficient thickness?

Second question: Is 260 brass the right type for engraving? If not, what is the suggested grade?

Your question is probably best answered by just calling a trophy shop or engraver in your area. I'd bet it'd be cheaper to have them supply the brass rather than ordering it yourself, paying for shipping etc.

I still wonder how any of these plates though are going to satisfy CG regs about leaving severe damage if the numbers are ever removed.

I recently went looking for a piece of bronze angle iron to strengthen a swim step bracket. Went to a common metal scrap yard (Richmond, CA.) The guy directed me to a section where they keep the "good stuff." Found all kinds of pieces of bronze, brass, stainless odds and ends. In every shape, size imaginable. Even though this is quality metal, in a scrap yard prices are quite reasonable.

UPDATE - today I bought a piece of brass from Metal Mart. It is 1/8" x 2.5" x 10". Cost was $15 CDN. Now I will have it engraved a trophy shop. Regs require the numbers to be 1.6" high. Plan to mount it either in the salon or aft master with a bit of epoxy to meet the permanence requirement.

I have an official nautical Commissioning plate. Brass or bronze. Never engraved. Measures about 5" X 5". A bit tarnished but otherwise ok. Yours $75.00 Want a photo email me.
Bob bjtigar@att.net

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom