Door mats on non-skid??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Waterford

Vessel Name
Waterford
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37
I was told that I should not use a sealed-back doormat on non-skid fiberglass decks, is that right? Someone said that the waterproof backing would hold water against the gelcoat and cause it to crack. Yes? No? Thanks.

I do it, but only on my bridge in front of the companionway. It's under the bimini, so it doesn't get wet.

Some rubber type mats will print through onto the gelcoat. We use a fiber or braided rope type mat and remove it when not on the boat.

Yes, my boat when I purchased it had a rubber backed door mat in full exposure at the cockpit door to the cabin. There are almost a total coverage of gelcoat cracks under the mat imprint.

Never had or saw an issue with cracks on gel, but definitely staining with most mats/rugs. Almost every Sea Ray comes with carpet covering cockpits and flybridges....never noticed a huge issue while working at a dealership in NJ. Maybe a regional thing due to climate?

Painted non-skid oil often bubbles.

Gel coat is used to line tanks and covers the underwater portion of a hull....it doesnt arbitrarily developed cracks but may developed a blister is always wet.

Last edited:
I was told that I should not use a sealed-back doormat on non-skid fiberglass decks, is that right? Someone said that the waterproof backing would hold water against the gelcoat and cause it to crack. Yes? No? Thanks.

I have a rubber backed mat on my back deck full time and have not had a issue.

Ken

I don't have this worry, because my decks are teak. Or, maybe it's because of the sophisticated engineering of the rubber-backed mats I use? 50 cents each at Ikea ;-)
I bought a bunch, intending to throw them away at the end of each season...but they last longer than that!

Check it out.

Attachments

• Shady Grove - 1 (9).jpg
    Shady Grove - 1 (9).jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 74
OK....but an instance or two with other possible causes doesnt make a case of certainty.

What about gel coat underwater in tanks and hulls?

That type of raised non skid is similar to my boat and it is full of cracks too...but no mats. If they are little cracks and water is in them and they get the occasional freeze....it may make them worse...though if in Jacksonville....do puddles ever freeze?

OK....but an instance or two with other possible causes doesnt make a case of certainty.

What about gel coat underwater in tanks and hulls?

That type of raised non skid is similar to my boat and it is full of cracks too...but no mats. If they are little cracks and water is in them and they get the occasional freeze....it may make them worse...though if in Jacksonville....do puddles ever freeze?

Agreed that it is a rarity. I've had fiberglass boats for 45 years and not seen anything but maybe some light blistering in similar situations. But, I have no doubt it was somehow caused by the mat I removed. If you can zoom in on the picture it's a mass of cracks going right to the edge of the mat and not beyond. Nothing like this anywhere else on the boat.

It is conceivable that the heavy mat with black rubber backing that I removed may have stayed in place for 6 years without moving. Full exposure to rain and sun. My theory is maybe too many extreme hot / cold cycles.

W.r.t. cracking, I'd suspect that in hot areas with lots of sun the black color stays hotter longer and thereby ages what's underneath faster.

W.r.t. staining, I guess I've seen that on plenty of occasions where something goes a long time without cleaning and especially when a solvent, moisture, or heat can aid a transfer.

Back
Top Bottom