Old 01-26-2017, 09:45 AM   #221

City: Athens, AL
Vessel Name: Always Something!
Vessel Model: Tiara 3700 open
Foggy ... When I made up the rear sun shade, I left a 1 1/2" zipper edge all around so I had option of enclosure. Summer of 2016 saw lots of cruising day heat. Getting "cooked" waiting many hours for lockage and to keep the better half happy, I added the unthinkable ... a 16K roof AC/heat. What can I say!!
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0403.jpg  
Alabama Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:30 AM   #222
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Boater View Post
Foggy ... When I made up the rear sun shade, I left a 1 1/2" zipper edge all around so I had option of enclosure. Summer of 2016 saw lots of cruising day heat. Getting "cooked" waiting many hours for lockage and to keep the better half happy, I added the unthinkable ... a 16K roof AC/heat. What can I say!!

I say enjoy every minute being on your boat! Life is short so make the most of it
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:46 AM   #223
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Walking Foot Zig-Zag Machine Available

Anyone interested in a DIY canvas sewing machine...

I look at eBay once in awhile and just noticed this Zig-Zag machine listed.
It looks like the Sailrite machines many of us have.
No interest or knowledge of this specific machine but the current bid is pretty reasonable.

INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH Sewing Machine HEAVY DUTY UPHOLSTERY & LEATHER +WALKING FOOT
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:03 PM   #224
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Anyone interested in a DIY canvas sewing machine...

I look at eBay once in awhile and just noticed this Zig-Zag machine listed.
It looks like the Sailrite machines many of us have.
No interest or knowledge of this specific machine but the current bid is pretty reasonable.

INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH Sewing Machine HEAVY DUTY UPHOLSTERY & LEATHER +WALKING FOOT
The seller says that it is new. Good deal for someone
Old 01-14-2018, 05:07 PM   #225
TF Site Team

Getting Started in DIY Boat Canvas

Fellow TF Stitch Meisters...

Water is hard up here in the NE and that leaves some spare time to fill

I had some interest in DIY Boat Canvas from members of my local Power Squadron members so I put together a short seminar on what it takes to get started.
Some of this is stuff I already posted in this thread but there are some new info & video links

Topics include: (Links & Videos included)
• Sewing Machines – features & options
• Work Area Set-up
• Useful Attachments & Tools
• Zipper Basics & options
• Sources – machines, fabrics, accessories
• Resources – Learning aids

If interested you can access the seminar with pictures, informative links and videos from my Bacchus website - Projects - DIY Boat Canvas

Let me know if this is useful and possibly something that is worth posting in the TF Library Section
Old 01-14-2018, 05:33 PM   #226
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Nice.
My first lesson was, household sizzers are really not good enough to be used on canvas and Sunbrella.

My second lesson was, those new $45 shears I bought are incredibility sharp, they come with a holster for a reason and removing blood drops from white Sunbrella is a pain.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:43 PM   #227
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
Nice.
My first lesson was, household sizzers are really not good enough to be used on canvas and Sunbrella.

My second lesson was, those new $45 shears I bought are incredibility sharp, they come with a holster for a reason and removing blood drops from white Sunbrella is a pain.
Try Peroxide for blood (and red wine) stains - works wonders
Old 01-14-2018, 07:47 PM   #228
Guru

I have a few of of general comments based on my recent years of sewing for my boat along with doing a close friend's for barter. My opinion and yes.......... I sometimes am opinionated are below and not necessarily in preference order.

*) I avoid basting!!!! It is a BPITA to use especially around corners. And yes I do have the basting attachment for my Juki 1541S sewing machine.

*) A 3/8" single turn folder is one of my very handy tools. This is great fold raw edges.

*) Have a decent work table for sewing. AND COVER IT with a good quality towel! If you try to sew vinyl without a soft cover on your table, you run a very high risk of scratching it. Know this one from experience.

*) I burned out my servo motor purchased on Ebay and went back to the 1/2HP that came with my machine. I found that it works better with the smallest pully I could find for the motor. I also wired the motor to operate on 220vac even though I operate it on 110vac. This trick helps control starting surges where sewing begins at 200 MPH.

*) Always use lubed thread. MY preference is 90-92 polyester rated for sun. There are other threads that are better for sun exposure but I find that when the thread starts to fail, the canvas will usually need work anyway and that is a good time to just do a general resew. It doesn't take long to do.

*) LEARN HOW TO MAKE PATTERNS!!! A good pattern is indispensable for all sewing projects.

*) I overlap my panels and use velcro. This minimized water intrusion.

*) a good pair of nips helps! Most sold are junk so look around.

MOre later
Old 01-14-2018, 09:12 PM   #229
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
Nice.

That is TOO funny and also too true!
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/2R02#live/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:06 PM   #230
TF Site Team

Foggy....
Just to clarify for others...
I think you are referring to "binding" and recall a previous discussion. I don't disagree w your rationale I just haven't opted to change my ways and usually doing an addition or replacement for others and want to match what they have.
Havent done much for myself... other than sunscreens on windows... as I'm now free of any canvas

Absolutely agree w the benefits of patterns.
Where do you buy your lubed thread?
Old 01-15-2018, 05:22 PM   #231
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Foggy....
Just to clarify for others...
I think you are referring to "binding" and recall a previous discussion. I don't disagree w your rationale I just haven't opted to change my ways and usually doing an addition or replacement for others and want to match what they have.
Havent done much for myself... other than sunscreens on windows... as I'm now free of any canvas

Absolutely agree w the benefits of patterns.
Where do you buy your lubed thread?
Bacchus- I have purchased many 1# rolls in the past from Rochford. Lately, I was given about 4#s so itr will be awhile before I make another purchase unless of course I need a color different than black. While I am at it, I highly suggest that IF your machine can wind bobbins while you sew to purchase thread rolls in pairs. Next, always fill bobbins while sewing. Makes life a lot easier.

I wrap panel edges with a 7" strip. I use my 3/8" single fold adapter to bind the edges with a single 3/8" flap. Next I fold the strip in half and then sew it to a panel's edge. Now sure, this uses a little more fabric than binding BUT it provides a greater fabric layers for sewing zippers. I also sew my vinyl .... if a window is required... to this same folded strip.

I think doing what I described above gives a better appearance to the job. Now on the other hand if you want to save time and fabric cost, you could use 2-3" binder instead for framing the windows. But personally, I rarely use binder. Even with the proper tool, the stuff never seems to lay right and it is horrible going around a curved surface.

HELPFUL HINT for curved edges and note, I got this idea from Sailrite.

Use your pattern to mark the canvas with about a 3-3 1/2" strip around the curved edge. Cut two pieces of the marked curve fabric. Use the 3/8" single layer folder I described earlier to sew the edges of the two pieces. Next, sew the outer edges of the curved pieces together. Next, just sew the piece to a matching fabric cut and you will have a nicely fabricated curved edge.

There are many helpful hints on canvas sewing on YouTube especially those from Sailrite. So guys---- do some reading then try doing some sewing
Old 01-15-2018, 05:41 PM   #232
Guru

I tried posting a picture attachment in my above post. So... another try
Attached Thumbnails
finished.jpg  
Old 03-19-2018, 05:50 PM   #233
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
A couple of questions from a beginner.

1. I just wasn't ready to blow $1,000 on a sailrite machine, so I did some looking around and bought a singer 4411 heavy duty. Great reviews on amazon and youtube. Under $200. I really don't see myself sewing a bimini or something complicated like that, but we need new phifertex window covers and were quoted well over $1,000 to replace them. I bought the materials for $185. My new machine easily punches through 8 layers of phifertex, and the covers are turning out great so far. It also punched through 6 layers of nauga-soft with no issues. What am I missing here, machine wise? Is it going to die in a few months?

2. My next project is going to be a basic sun cover that we can tie up across the back of our cockpit for when we are anchored out and the sun blasts in in the afternoons. We have a Stamoid bimini rather than sunbrella and I personally prefer the look of stamoid over sunbrella, so I plan to build the shade from Stamoid light. All of the posts here have been about sewing Sunbrella. Any thing different I need to keep in mind for stamoid?

Thanks
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:48 PM   #234
Guru

Those sewing heavy fabrics along with canvas recommend that the machine have a walking foot. A walking foot machine pushes the fabric as the machine stitches. I don’t know if your machine has one but all that matters is that you are happy.

I believe that more folks should try doing their own canvas and general sewing but to each his own.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:05 PM   #235
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
I searched for a Singer 4411, it`s a no "walking foot" model. But, readily available here,and one site says it can sew the hem on a pair of jeans,which gives an idea of material thickness ability, so two or three layers of Sunbrella should be ok.
Is having to pull the material through a problem? A w/f machine would cost maybe 1.5x more, a consideration if only doing an occasional job.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:26 PM   #236
Guru

GIVE IT A TRY!!!! Too many times guys get hung up over “people say.....”

Remember, it’s just a tool. If it works to your satisfaction that is all and I do mean all that is important

EDIT: I remember seeing walking foot attachments someplace. There may be one available for your machine IF NEEDED
Old 03-19-2018, 07:39 PM   #237
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
It depends on what you are sewing and also how much. If you are just sewing Pfifertex, almost any machine will sew it. If you are doing small jobs you can get by without a walking foot. If you are doing larger jobs, a walking foot does a better job and does it much easier on you.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:13 PM   #238
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Thanks for the reply guys, I already have a walking foot for it, it came as an accessory that I ordered after I got the machine. It pulls the fabric through really well, I don't have to pull it. Here is a link: https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...waAsZqEALw_wcB
There is a 4411 Singer and a 4411 Heavy Duty, I got the Heavy Duty. Not sure what the difference is between them.

The six layers of Nauga didn't bother it a bit.

There is not a ton of space between the deck of the machine and the bottom of the foot, so that could be a drawback.

Anyway, I figure I'll try it and use it at least to learn, if it fails or won't do the job I can always move up.

Any board knowledge on sewing Stamoid?

Thanks
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:27 PM   #239
Guru

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
First sewing job I did was Phifertex window covers. Like you they wanted over $1000 for the job. Pad for the machine in short period of time with all of my projects. Stamoid is a really good product. As far as sewing it I have learned to use the smallest needle you can to do covers. Less prone to leaking that way.

You will enjoy the projects. Always something to sew on a boat!
Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:03 PM   #240
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I have sewn some Stamoid with the same setup that I use for Sunbrella. I use Tenara thread. It worked fine on the Stamoid. But keep in mind I have not sewn nearly as much Stamoin as I have Sunbrella.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote